Dungeon Maker Gameplay

Historic discussions for the 3D clones "Dungeon Maker" and "Bloodwych 3D" which are both sadly now defunct.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

Which type of gameplay would you prefer for Dungeon Maker?

The traditional way. Pro: faster. easier for making own dungeons. easier for me :). Con: Player makes 90 degree turns. Monsters walk from square to square and are flat.
36%
The modern way. Pro: free movement for player. Fully 3d monsters and items. Con: Slower. Making new dungeons is hard. 3d models are hard to make.
No votes
Something in between.
57%
No preference.
7%

Total votes: 14

Wishbone
Apprentice

Dungeon Maker Gameplay

Post by Wishbone »

I opened up this poll, because i think there is a lot of disagreement on the way the player and the monsters are moving and drawn. So...
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

I like the way we have it at the moment where it is sqaure base and the player turns 90 degree, but its also nice to be able to use 3d objects/monsters.

I dont like free movement.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I like the square based movement myself, there are a couple of things you could add to it though like smooth movement (ala Stonekeep) or possibly allow free movement in a square based dungeon. You could then have different sort of blocks 45 degree solid tiles that make the walls a bit rounder.

+---
|/
|

Again as an option, if someone wants to remake DM then the square based dungeon option is not and the free player movement isnt on.

The monsters could still adhere to walking through a square based maze even if the player can run all over the shop. If you use EntityDistance to judge attacks range, it should look like the monsters have free movement anyway..

Does that make sense?
Regards,

Andy
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

doom like maps where you can have vaulted ceilings and crouching areas too.. but it's completely 2D there is no point at which you can go below a section of the level without going down a whole level. (in other words loading the next map into memory)

I don't mind step based movement like in DM, though certain things should be possible like diagnal movements (45 degree) and crouching and jumping. I think those will allow for a new dynamic of dungeons.

I do and always will think that low poly creatures will be better in a 3D environment.. I always thought those beasts looked odd in Doom since they only turned in 45 degree increments and their animation was chopy

That's just me though..

moo
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

We already had a long discussion about very realistic but boring games and in that respect I'm a traditionalist - I need no fancy stuff as long as story and riddles are good. So rather the known way with a good set-up, story, nice traps and food for the brain than "unlimited" possibilities but boredom. If you can combine both, that's another story... but frankly I doubt it from the resources available.

Regards, PitD
Lubor Kolar
Artisan

Post by Lubor Kolar »

I voted for Something between and I have a pretty good idea how it should look.
For lucidity, I preffer traditional square movement for both player and monsters. But for eyecandy I preffer rendered 3D graphics, which allows fantastic situations, like room far ahead litted with torch, but the corridor itself is pretty dark, for example. Or having red gem glowing with red light illuminating surroundings (to get the most, it will illuminate only on specific places).
I don't like modern "RPGs" with isometrical or 3d person view, but if you saw Neverwinter Nights with all lights, shadows, reflexes etc. , try to imagine the same, but in 1st person view and square movement, with 90 degree turns (optionally animated).
And using SDL for this would allow to make game multiplatform.
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

Lubor Kolar: I know how you feel thats how i want to do Dungeon Maker also :)
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

It looks like you are using 3d to create a square based world from the screens and video. That means all the 3d lighting and shadowing effects are available to the engine. Bring on the flickering torches and the glowing red gems :)
Regards,

Andy
MadMunky
Adept

Post by MadMunky »

Yeah currently the game is is 3D and the monsters and objects are 2D we can get away with alot of the objects being 2D and possibly most of the monsters I just think its would be nice to have the option of 3D monsters and objects maybe this could be a update later
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

A full 3D game would be a FPHS = Four Persons Hack & Slash ;) and it is NOT Dungeon Master : it's another game with some DM inspiration, as I said in another thread.
So I voted for 'Something in between', because Dungeon Maker is just an enhancement of the original game.
3D square move is nice for rendering, smooth transitions and so on and that's what most of DM fans want !
You could add a 'no transition' option : nice scene rendering but speeeeeeeed :)
ToolMan
Novice

Post by ToolMan »

Hi,
I voted for something in between, because I think both has advantages:
Old fashioned: One can stick on learned fighting techniques.
Modern: More freedom in Level Design and maybe new fighting possibillities.

The modern way is surely more complicated, especially in Monster AI and keeping the game playable (means that fights can be handled in realtime). The 3D Monsters may be harder to design, but why don't you use the .m2d or .m3d or the Milkshape model format, so there are hundreds of models available for testing during development, as well as powerful tools for modelling (which people can use to contribute models).

I would prefer both options in the same game, to see the differences and as a motivation to play the game once again in a different mode..
c-u
ToolMan
-->Peace is only a matter of tolerance and knowledge <--