DMT 2 Betatesters wanted

Modern experimental clones programmed by forum member Rasmus.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Rasmus
Ee Master

DMT 2 Betatesters wanted

Post by Rasmus »

I hope it is okey if I start a new topic here. But I want to seperate the DMT 2 news with the betatesting..

As I have said before I am in a fase now where it is will be harder and harder for me to change some things, this goes for dungeon apperence, basic mechanism, editor, item physics and more..
So the more of you that could test the dungeon now and comment to me the better will the results be in the end..
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Newest version released that needs betatesting are version 0.05
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
You can download it or check out the latest screenshoots at:
http://dmtribute.webs.com/dmt2.htm

Videos of DMT 2 latest versions can always be reached at:
http://dmtribute.webs.com/apps/videos/
Beastman666
Journeyman

Re: DMT 2 Betatesters wanted

Post by Beastman666 »

Hiho. Just one more thing I noticed yesterday: please change the font. It is especially hard to read on the scroll. Although it has a nice medieval flair, I would prefer the font more readable.
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

I agree with you, this font is only okey when having a somewhat high resoulution (1024x768) and above, lower than that makes the font almost unreadable.. I will also enlarge the fonts in the scrolls. But you can probably see that I have two types of fonts. What do you think if I replaced the main one with the one that describes item propapaties? And ofcorse that I add another more readable font instead of the secondary one..
Beastman666
Journeyman

Post by Beastman666 »

So back again. As promised I have completed the level. Have not found any stoppers / dead-ends. No crashes. Just two small (?) things /suggestions:

1. you should reduce the lightning. especailly in bright light (i.e. outdoors) or objects (such as gates) near a light source have a plastic effect with the textures showing near white patterns (?).

2. you should rework the grass models. the grass is too thick and spiky and does not look like grass at all.

Ah, I guess you haven't implmented combat yet. I have tried to smash wooden doors and hurt my companion - to no avail.

This white-bearded is a god - I'm honored to delve into a dungeon with an immortal being ;-) *giggles*

As for changing the font with the object-description-font, I still guess that the object-description font is too flashy. I would prefer something more streight and less wavy (?) - perhaps Garamond or Mentor or Bookman Old Style or something like that...
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Thanks again for your suggestions :)
The PLAIN wooden doors can smashed, but it is a bit tricky for now (will change it later).. If you strike the woden door with a sword and notice that the door changes shape, then it is one of four that the door will get smashed and wooden boards will fly all over the place ;)

1. I had a feeling that the specular maps needs some more refining, and I think I have study material proparties a bit more to get it right..
2. I agree with you on the grass, I will try to fix this.. I guess the best thing would be if it moves with the wind (this goes for the treeleaves also) and that they bend when walking on it. I have noticed that it is rather hard to create realistic grass without using 10000 polygons per square, but the more challange the higher my motivation gets ;)

I am working on a screamer right now, so I think one or two monsters including some other fighting technics will come in the next beta.

Thanks again for your suggestions and I will add them to my todo pile..

By the way, if you couldn't smash the wooden door you couldn't finish the playzone right?
Beastman666
Journeyman

Post by Beastman666 »

Rasmus wrote:By the way, if you couldn't smash the wooden door you couldn't finish the playzone right?
Yup. Right. Guess I gave up to early. Have to try-smash again...
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Haha, only if you want to ;) I have a supprice mechanism if you complete the "prime room" that I would like some opinions on :)
Beastman666
Journeyman

Post by Beastman666 »

Man I can solve the riddle in the last room: "What do I want most". i have tossed everything I have into the blue haze: pants, sword...Do I have to complete the other part first where I can find an item which is then tossed into the field?

I like this part of the dungeon very much.
Spoiler
The swosh-effect when you are captapulted through the corridor came as a surprise and i have had some small difficult figuring out the Prime room (i first though i have to place the crates in front of the 12 and 6 plates in order to make them 5 and 3 until i notices, that the numbers are simply counting the plates *hehehe*. The throwing-stone-gates was also a misleading: i tried to place all the pebbles on the plate until i realized, that there is a plate behind the two gates where i have to throw a stone by timing. nice. nice.
Beastman666
Journeyman

Post by Beastman666 »

Now. To the editor: i can place things. but how to link things (such as press button a to open door b) and more importantly how to remove a floor/wall/item/clear a square? Is it possible to make a "new" map or do i have to "overwrite" the existing one?
Last edited by Beastman666 on Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Hehe, surprice surprice :)
Spoiler
You have to think in the opposite way, think of the haze as a teleporter and that the fake wall needs something "non-fake" ;)
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Okey, the editor are somehow hard to understand because it is just modified to work, not to be understood easely..

What you do here are after inserting a object into a square you go to the main menu where the "Init and try level" are, there you can press the text "Edit square object". Then you press on the square you want to edit, if you press the same square again, then you switch between the objects inside the square.

When you are inside the "Edit square object" and have the specific object you want to edit as a headline, you can press on the "Edit target" text.
Here you have to add a target, and then press on the square where the object you want to is (pressing the same square more times alternate between the objects inside the square)..
You can add how many objects you want to, but it is VERY important that you assign every target to a object.. Otherwise the game will get an internal error when activating the target.

Items can be edited and removed by pressing on the text "edit items" in the item menu and then pressing the square where the items are..

I will try to make the editor simpler til the next version, but I am glad that are trying it out ;)
Beastman666
Journeyman

Post by Beastman666 »

Rasmus wrote:Hehe, surprice surprice :)
Spoiler
You have to think in the opposite way, think of the haze as a teleporter and that the fake wall needs something "non-fake" ;)
Spoiler
I have it. But: I stood at the edge of the teleport to throw a heavy stone (boulder) towards the fake wall because when I stood farther in, the stone rebounced from the fake wall. My companion stood behind me. My companion zapped away I remained. I tried again, but the teleport seems to function only once, so my party was split and I had to switch to my companion to get back to the start of the playzone.

I think you have to make the teleporter function multiple times or check the "rebounce from fake wall" procedure. Hope you get what I mean. English is not my mother language ;-)
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Spoiler
Haha, I can't stop laughing about the scenario that your companion are getting teleported and you wondering how he did it :D
I don't know if you missed the editor description but read above otherwise.
And by the way, I will fix both fonts to a easier more readable font as you suggested..
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

Hello rasmus, me have to make out a will your dmt2, bravo it is of the very beautiful works to continue like that :D , it is better and better :D , especially to abandon(to give up) not the project !!!, you could make can etre for pite an impréssion of infinite???
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Thank you RAF :)
As it is now there is no way that I will end my project..
Maybe in the future if some unsolvable problem would come up, but DMT 2 are build on a much more stable foundation than DMT 1.. Easier to do changes etc.. And most important of all, I have created the editor and can therefore add new stuff or change the layout from the original DM if some things don't add up with the 3D full rotation.

Thanks for your support :)
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

The graphic qualiter and tehnique of your clone DMT2 is better and better, RASMUS you maybe go to succeed has to make the BEST clone of DM, especially do not abandon(give up) the project !!! :) .
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Thanks Raf means alot to me :)
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

RASMUS go to put yourselves monsters in your clone??? DMT2, if yes Even that those of DMT1 or to improve???
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Monsters are on the way ;)
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

I am impatient to see that :) .