Music anyone ?

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Favourite...? Virtually impossible. But one piece that never fails to move me is Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings (the original symphony piece, not the travesty remixes you hear these days).

Yes, Emiliana Torrini sings Gollum's Song, which was a perfect choice for the end of the film. If you like her voice, check out her debut album from a few years ago, Love in the Time of Science. I have just got her new one, Fisherman's Woman, but haven't listened to it yet. I think she's amazing -- would love to see her live.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The adagio got bumped recently on my player for tori amos, who is fantastic
goldfrapp are very good, i would recommend roykksopp, though the album i had is internally very ecclectic. and yeah, st ettienne, thouigh i've only heard the earlier stuff. My friends tend to have ecclectic tastes and so i get exposed to the broadest range.

easy to pick the lone best song - wonderful world by louis armstrong. I think that man is the only person who can sing an optimistic lyric and you go 'you know what, yeah' finley quay can perhaps try and do that, i love...damn, forget the album from a few years ago
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Ooh yeah, Wonderful World, that's a sublime track. Not quite in the same league is Perfect Day by Lou Reed, although his subject matter is somewhat more depressing...

I can't believe it -- I just looked at Emiliana's website and turns out she played in Brighton, my home, twice last year! I really have to keep my eyes on the music press more! I sometimes feel like moving from here as I've lived my whole life here and wanna try something new -- but one of the great things about Brighton is due to it's 'cosmopolitan' vibe we get a lot of bands who wouldn't bother with other towns. Last year, on my birthday, I saw scissor sisters which was the most fun show I had been to for years... but no, couldn't see myself on the live DVD of the show they released at Christmas.... ;) I've seen Ful Lovin Criminals down here three times now, I think they love this place! Now that's a great band live....

EDIT: Not only that, she apparently has moved to Brighton too!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yeha, i love a wonderful world exactly because its optomistic and cheerful, and an antidote to anything else : ) Nothing against Lou Reed though, like him too : )

i haven't seen fun lovin;' criminals live, but i love their first two albums, never got the newest on one
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Woo hoo! I am officially excited! I have tickets to see Emiliana Torrini in Brighton on 11th April -- really looking forward to it!

http://www.emilianatorrini.com/
http://noisedfisk.com/forums/
http://www.alwaysontherun.net/emiliana.htm

I'm 'ppod' on those forums....

I'm currently listening to a preview of the new New Order album and am rather disappointed -- although it's getting good reviews, I find it rather average. Anyone else heard it yet?

Oh, and I just bought a rare Japanese only release by St. Etienne off eBay -- "The Misadventures of St. Etienne" -- not bad at all; no idea why it wasn't released over here, it's a worthy addition to their repertoire.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Meanwhile, I'm very excited to have NIN tickets for Barcelona at the end of June. They sold out instantly...I mean instantly...in the UK. Hopefully the tickets will actually arrive at some point now....
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Most of the reviews of the New Order album I've seen have been negative - basically saying it's not a patch on their earlier stuff.

However, the new Porcupine Tree album "Deadwing" that I have just got my mitts on after a very long wait (the release date kept getting delayed) is utterly superb. The best ambient-art-prog-metal-indie album of 2005 :D
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

music anyone? yeah, check this out on winamp! :x :x :x

www.hhuk.net
HARD dance

www.italiandancenetwork.com
italodance 24 h
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Stryker
Novice

Post by Stryker »

For me, it'd have to be... Quite a few, and in no particular order:

Iron Maiden
Disturbed
Slipknot
Mudvayne
Lacuna Coil
Trivium
Hatebreed
Killswitch Engage
Bleeding Through
Avenged Sevenfold
Godsmack
Lamb of God
Cradle of Filth

Yeah, I'm one of those people :wink:

Quite a few others, but those are my top. :)

Yeah, I made a topic like this yesterday, sorry 'bout that. I did a quick search and skimmed the forums briefly, so I missed it, heh. :oops:
Last edited by Stryker on Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Ive only heard of two of them!
Stryker
Novice

Post by Stryker »

Ahaha! That's ok, I was asking my friend if he'd heard them last night. Only ones he haerd of were the top four and Avenged Sevenfold.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Sounds like you might like Deep Purple and Motorhead, currently in my CD player!
Stryker
Novice

Post by Stryker »

Maybe. Not really into the older stuff, personally. Except Iron Maiden. *nod* That's some good stuff.

It's all a matter of preference, though. I like the darker, louder sounding stuff, as opposed to the skillful guitar playing (once again, except Iron Maiden :P )
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Bands I like most:

Metallica
Rammstein
Pink Floyd
Queen
Iced Earth

There are dozens of others I like, like Iron Maiden, Motörhead, Toto, Bon Jovi (older stuff, not the crap they put out in the last 6 years), Meat Loaf, Toto, The Police, and some others that may not fit the rest, like Björk, Pink or The Prodigy.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

ROOOOOOOXAAAAAANNNNEEEE.. you don't have to wear that dress tonigh.. walk the streets for money.. you don't care if it's wrong or if it's right...

:)

music I don't like is much easier to put here. I don't like gangsta rap, I don't like most old country, and I don't like instrumental noise. Otherwise I have such a wide range of tastes.. Game music, Classical, Indian, Chinese pop, jazz, metal, trance, goth, regge, rock, trip hop, 80's, 70's, 60's, 50's, even some 20's.. big band.. barber shop quartet, spanish guitar, folk music, medieval, celtic, etc etc etc..

I go through phases.. but I like a lot of what I grew up with.

as a child it was abba, floyd, beatles, savory brown, deep purple, hendrix.

in my teens I got more zepplin, most 80's top 40, and later metalica, sound garden, temple of the dog, perl jam, nirvana, etc. a little regge

then my twenties onward got more experimental.. I looked at game music and saw actual talent there.. I looked to jazz more.. having only had samples of it before.. I looked to other areas like goth and trance and industrial.

My interest in classical was always there but it expanded to other forms like spanish guitar and folk, gregorian chants, medieval, celtic, etc..

and still I'm sampling new music from different eras and countries.. doesn't matter if I understand.. I just if I can enjoy the tune.. though sometimes I now look at the message and may be turned away from something due to that. Which is where I draw the line for things like gangsta rap.. when it talks about killing cops, and treating people badly.. women like "ho's and #$%%^" etc.. money being the only thing.. "Bling" etc.. it's just a poor message and one that too many youth are taking to heart.. I'm noticing the occasional bad message in other tunes I used to like though too.. which is disconcerting. As I listened to some songs for years and never noticed. One person that was able to open my eyes to that orriginally was Tori Amos whom my ex loves. I'd know about her for years but had not really been directly exposed to her untill my Ex purchased a lof of her albums. She did a bunch of covers of popular songs but reflavored them.. the music itself to make the message more apparent.. delivering it in a more apropriate manner.. so we were aware of what it was we were happily hopping up and down to.. it was a shocking eye opener for me at the time.. but perhaps others simply don't care..

Each to their own :)

moo (enough of my lip flapping) :shock:
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Trance and Industrial? Categorising music is one thing, but that is ridiculous!

I like what sounds nice from my speakers.

What classical Cows?
Stryker
Novice

Post by Stryker »

You like what sounds nice from your speakers, hmm?

Well, I like what sounds nice destroying my speakers :lol:
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

classical? Beetoven, Strauss, Tchaikovsky Debussy, Mozart... whatever.. I like most of it.. and there is even new classical bits done.. I like a lot of Johnny's work for various films like indiana jones, starwars, etc.. all classical in tone.. also I like a lot of Danny Elfmans works..

moo
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

You forgot John Williams' best soundtrack Cows: Jaws (and I am not only talking about the title track). Henry Mancini also made some excellent work, but the best soundtrack composer hands down is Ennio Morricone for me. Oh, and I also love Joe Hisaishi's work, the man who made the soundtracks for Hayao Miyazaki's movies (especially Princess Mononoke).

Games also sometimes feature fantastic music. Just listen to those Square RPGs with soundtracks from Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy series) or Yasunori Mitsuda (Chrono Trigger, Xenogears)! And then there is my childhood hero - Chris Hülsbeck, responsible for the soundtracks of Great Giana Sisters, M.U.D.S., X-Out, Apidya or the Turrican series. I even wrote that guy an email last year and got a nice response!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

x-out. heh.. I had a few tunes from that game.. also shadow of the beast was awesome.. but a lot of Psygnosis games had good tunes.. and yes Square soft hires some wicked composers.. I especially liked music that came on the CD titles for Turbo Graphics 16.. like fighting street, monster lair, and Y's books 1 & 2. Just a butt load of music sitting on my drive from games throughout the years.. castlevania, megaman, etc.. a lot of them redone. I have one from metroid that is an entire symphony.. it's the intro music from the snes version.. but with REAL instruments.. it's wicked.

also music from spirited away, howl's moving castle, and all his other films are good yes.. Like I said.. I enjoy most of the music I've heard.. I just can't name it all.. it would take a month at least.. and who would read it all :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Oh, if you're talking game soundtracks, there's loads I like for all different reasons.

The Tomb Raider music has always been a perfect complement to the games, the right balance of classical and modern.

The sound track to Resident Evil 2 was superb, so much so that I bought the entire series boxed set off eBay despite not playing any of the others. I love playing it on headphones in the dark -- very spooky and often shocking.

I still really like the tracker music used in the original Unreal -- evoked a perfect mood, and the background music in Half-Life 1 & 2, while sparse, is just right for the game.

I still also love the music in Duke Nukem 3D, and especially since it was rescored and is available now as MP3.

As for Amiga stuff, well Xenon 2 was always a blast and I really liked the music in Hired Guns, Black Crypt, Project X, Magic Pockets, Gods, Alien Breed SE and the theme from Cybernoid 2.

I also really like a lot of the remixes from old games that are available on OC Remix and another similar site which I can't recall just now... some of the Cybernoid 2 remixes are awesome!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Going to Download in June, looking forward to seeing Tool, Lacuna Coil, reformed Alice in Chains, etc - plus who can't get teary eyed about my old favoutires Metallica, and of course seeing the reformed Guns N Roses and wandering if they can actualyl stay together for the whole of the set list!
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

If you haven't bought 10,000 Days yet, shame on you!

It's different, but I like it. One of the things that gets me about Tool is that their music really evolves from one album to the next (which you would expect, since they put out one album every four years). It's a little more retro than usual — even moreso than Undertow if you ask me, but that's not a bad thing. And I especially like the two-parter "Wings For Marie" and title track. It's a eulogy for Keenan's mom.

Anyway, give it a spin, and then give it about five more spins so it really sinks in. (That's another thing that gets me about Tool: you have to listen to an album fifty times before you really understand it, and then it's the best album you've ever heard.)

I also love Soundgarden, though I do prefer Cornell when he did Temple of the Dog with the-artists-to-become-known-as Pearl Jam. Does that mean anything? Probably not.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

I've recently been playing "Age of Winters" by The Sword very loud in the car. Ultra geeky (some say piss-take) fantasy lyrics accompanied by blasting Sabbathesque riffs. Here's an example of the lyrics (Barael's Blade):

Forged by the crow-mage from shards of darkness
Honed by the halfbreed to vorpal sharpness
Behold! The bastard's blade

Bane of the demon lord
Slayer of the spider-priests
Spiller of the silver blood

Fragments of bore infused with purest steel
A warrior's hand and a wizard's mind to wield
Killer of Lor, avenging those accursed
Gathering knowledge, quenching deadly thirst
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

question to all the Germans:
what about a Love Parade this year?
If there will be, I would gladly go to Berlin with friends for partying 8) 8) 8)
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

I like (in no real order)...

Godsmack
Nightwish
Enya
Evanescense
Rammstein
Muse
Marilyn Manson
Britney Spears
Kylie Minogue
Steps
ABBA
Bjork
Daphne & Celeste
Anastacia
P!NK
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Let's hope the Love Parade will remain dead. I can't stand that techno-crap...
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Wow. I didn't think anyone would admit to being a Steps fan. This is the place where you can safely own up to liking geeky bands such as Iced Earth, Rhapsody, Dragonforce etc. but Steps??? It's for kiddies!

On the other hand I shouldn't really knock anyone's taste as we all have our guilty pleasures :D
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

You've obviously not heards the delights of "Ooh, stick you!" and "U. G. L. Y." from the duo of cheezypop, Daphne & Celeste... ;)
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

I'll do one better and confess to liking Hinoi Team.