Heroes

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Heroes

Post by cowsmanaut »

if you are not watching it yet.. you should start.

If you ware watching it.. what do you think?

THIS THREAD MAY CONTAIN MINOR SPOILERS... READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!!
Last edited by cowsmanaut on Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, my friend recommended it ages ago, and I'm gripped following it (I think i recommended it on the wonderfalls thread)

Interesing characters, nice to put the real world setting to alot of these powers and have them more joe average heroes than the mythical ones from x-men, etc

The interconnecting stories, for now, are really good too

My only concern is that a season from now it will become like lost, where an interesting premise and good charatcer stories make way for convoluted plots and a need for continuing to fuel mystery

Anyway, that's just me being cynical, until then this is a fantastic show, and really, cows, youare right, people should get a hold of the first one and start watching!
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

definitely the best series to watch actually.
prison break season 2 becomes quite interesting as well...
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I really had no idea what it was, in fact I think when I had first heard about it.. something invaded my brain.. because I thought it was some new mini series based around 9/11. I think I saw part of a trailer.. and it had the cop and firefighters and the cheer leader and said something about "amidst the destruction" and something about tragedy.. and soemhow those few images and statments read to my brain as somethign related to the two towers.

Then later, I saw part of the episode with the cop first hearing the girls, but I had not been watching it all the way through so I came in seeing a guy hearing a girls voice and trying to find her in the house.. I had no idea it was in her head.. and thought.. ahh.. some cop show.. nope.. click.. and went to a new channel.

Eventualy a co worker kept asking me .. have you watched heroes yet? It's great.. come on, you have to watch it. Best show on television.. I was of course hesitant again because I thought it was 9/11 and then he cleared it up for me. That it was about essentially the xmen if it were real world. Also that Marcus To who is one of our graduates pencils some of the comics. :D

Once I saw the first one.. i was hooked.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

DOOOOOOD! He has super hearing now.. the lot of them are totally screwed!!! if you've seen it you know what I'm talking about.. if not.. it doesn't matter.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

http://www.tv-links.co.uk/Heroes_links.html

if you didn't see the latest episode yet.. go see it :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Good god yes, it was really pretty blooming good tjhis one - like the stuff it tied up, the character bits...just prety bloody good!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yes, revealed a lot about what was going on.. but will sophie live? I WANT TO KNOW!!! Also, they very quickly introduce a new "hero" without telling us what her powers are.. very clever..

answer many questions.. then leave us with more..
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

WHY??? why oh why...

you think they are heading down the right path and then boom.. turn the tables... guess what.. it's all worse!!

DAMN THEM ALL! ....

god I love this show.. :D
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

You need to stop spoiling it, sucka. I have a few shows queued up, and Heroes is one of them. I think I just finished Day Break last night, so I'll move onto Heroes as soon as I have time, and then it's Lost season 3.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

there I edited the first post to mention that there may be spoilers.. but I've been very carefull to not reveal anything specific..
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, like the bit where the muppets appeared and hacked apart the creature?

Anyway, as always by the end you want to have the next episode to watch right now...waiting another week? Grrr. Funny, I spotted the two little clues about the thigns that were gong to go wrong - I think I'm just a paranoid TV wathcer.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Well, I'm told there is a hiatus for the following month and the next episode won't be until mid april.

So now I'll be gnawing at my ankle waiting for it's return :P
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Yeha, now you say it someone mentioned a break for 1x18 - still, they made it sound liek the series had 18 episodes this season!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

They've just started showing Heroes here in Spain. I dont mind the Spanish VO but it's the lack of subtitles that ingratiates me. All in all guys, thanks for the suggestion. There is some stuff that I like here.
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

I've been quietly downloading and watching this since a Canadian friend recommended it. Not quite "better than LOST", as good as though :D
Don't be scene or herd!
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

The first couple episodes were grueling. I really had to force myself to sit through some of the horrible acting. Episode three didn't bring much to the acting table, but at least the story is starting to develop. So far I'm not impressed, but I'll keep watching under the pretense it might get better.

One of the problems is that I hate when writers try to make the audience look stupid by explaining the obvious. This show suffers from quite a bit of that, and I have very little patience for anyone who insults my intelligence. However, I'm interested in seeing how the stripper and cop's stories pan out. Don't so much care about anyone else so far.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Wow, I don't remember anyone or thing being that bad in the starting episodes! Maybe you won't like the rest then! :D
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, the problem is most of the audience is stupid.. or at least its what we are told to consider when telling a story or doing an animaiton. It's very easy for people to miss an episode, or part of the show do to work, network errors, flipping channels to catch the score on your favorite whatever... the runs...

Anyway, the point being they want to to be interesting and easy to digest. Many of the actors are also no name, which allows us to A. not have any overall oppinion on them based on what they did in the past and B.cost the show less money so they can put more into their FX budget which I imagine is somewhat expensive.

Over all I think the production value is pretty good over all, they have some good ideas, and if you can just accept it for what it is.. entertainment.. then you can get more involved in the individuals conflict.

Otherwise, you're doomed to hate it.. same can be said for most prime time TV shows.. or movies for that matter.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, alot of the later stuff relies on you caring about the charatcers, not suddenly likign them.

I think perhaps since you've had such a strong negative reaction because of the build up, perhaps re-watch the first few again with a fresh eye, it will perhaps be better the seocnd time through if you are thinking of it harshly!
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

I'm looking forward to watching this when it starts showing on BBC2 in April. Guess I'm a patient sort when it comes to TV. In April I will also get to see series 2 of Dead Like Me which is at last being released on region 2 DVD.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Heh, I get region 1 DVDs when I'm impatient :D
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

April? BBC2 has just got it in the last two weeks and I've now watched the first 4 episodes. Have to say, I'm with Tom on this so far. I really want to like it and I'm interested in where the story might go, but the dialogue is incredibly clichéd and a lot of the acting is downright awful. It is going to have to work hard to keep me watching.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

I've only seen the first three episodes, ending with the Indestructible Cheerleader waking up during her own autopsy - nice. Episode 4 next week (resisted the urge to flip to Beeb 3) - will Hiro save the world? Overall: Flawed but compelling :-)
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I'm enjoying it too...waiting till next week to watch the fourth episode 'cause it was a bit late (now I'm working)...but I think it's pretty good so far :).
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I forgot you started your new job Ameena!

I haven't re0watched it yet, I don't remember any clunkers really, and liked the overall arc. I guess it's the B5 of superheroes then :D
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

the first season is amazing but you may be disappointed at the very end.. as i've been a little.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, I decided not to say that and deleted that part of the post, but the very end epsiode maybe disappojts. Hopefully the new series might make that a blip you don't mind as much
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm such a geek! Just watched series 1 episodes 13 & 14 last night and spotted a nice little nod to Star Trek: When Hiro's father (George Takei, Mr.Sulu) and sister get in their car and leave Hiro behind, the registration plate is shown: NCC-1701.

:)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Trek manages to get itself everywhere. I didn't notice either.
keep your gor coin handy