Game music you love, from back in the day...

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Game music you love, from back in the day...

Post by Gambit37 »

We were chatting the other night on the Chat about retro games, and that led me to listen to some old game theme tunes from Amiga games. I decided to create some MP3s for your listening pleasure.

I've done a little post processing on these: the original fake stereo has been merged to create a more modern stereo image (rather than 2 channels in the left ear, and two in the right), so these will sound a lot better on headphones (or even speakers come to that). I boosted the bass a little and cleaned up the top end too.

I'll post more as and when I create them, I might even take requests! :) Enjoy!

http://friskdesign.com/misc/music/retrogames/

EDIT: These files have now been removed are are not available anymore. 2017-05-08

Tunes uploaded so far (Amiga):

Code: Select all

1) Black Crypt
 2) Captive
 3) Cubulus
 4) Gods
 5) Knightmare
 6) RType
 7) Speedball
 8) Killing Game Show
 9) Shadow of the Beast 1 (All music)
10) Xenon 2
Last edited by Gambit37 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, the only games there that I know are Magic Pockets and Gods...well yaaay anyway, I'm listening to the latter now :).
I have a thing for music...a lot of the tracks on my system are from computer games, though not many are from older games. I have a couple of Monkey Island tracks but I think that's about it for anything pre-PC.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I remember assassin having a good intro music if you let it carry on playing instead of starting, and of corse cannn fodder's death screen wa ssad and chaos engine had soe nice thumping musc too.

Ah, good old Gods ...
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

super cool gambit! nice
--------------------------------------------------------------
here is what I remember right know as being "good"

budokan * -- intro? and definitely when you go to the arena
bubble bobble * -- intro and/or endgame music
super wonderboy in monsterland * -- bossbattle
garrison -- intro (guitars again, probably not for everyone)
castle master -- intro
apydia
shadow of the beast 1
//xenon2 megablast
//turrican <---not sure if there was a Cd?
chambers of shaolin from Thalion

bloodmoney (probably not that good)
ninja spirit ?
(X-out)
(battle isle)

crystal palace (thundercats) -- not sure about this one
the bard's tale -- bard songs lol ;)
zodiac -- (not a game, demo)
------------------

edit : wizball
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Most of the Psygnosis titles had good music. Shadow of the beast 1, 2 and 3. Killing game show. Awesome (what a name :P). Lemmings.. All had good game music. I do remember Agony not having ALL good music.. some of it was annoying :P
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'll try and get some of those titles into MP3 over the coming weeks... :-)
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

It's hard to believe how many games I missed out on.

The Black Crypt music was good.

Bard's Tale??? Oh yeah, that was a great game. I loved the 'berserker' room; 4 sets of 99 berserkers (hee, hee, big room, I guess).
Mega experience points. Loved using dragon fire spell.
Remember the Dork ring? Big letdown, when I finally used it. I wasted it in a battle, getting stomped for my trouble. :wink:
"Wuuf's big brother"
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Thanks, Gambit. That's good work and I enjoyed listening to some of them.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

I know you talk about very old games, but the music I loved most so far was that of Unreal 1. I really should dig out informations about the artist and check if there is more.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

:D Yeah, that was cool. I did a mix of Unreal 1 and made my own CD, talk about nerdy! I don't have the bandwidth to share a whole CD though, sorry, and I can't share torrents or use DC++ anymore since receiving a warning letter...

You can however use XMPlay to play the MODS (For they are MOD files in Unreal 1) directly from the UMX files. Note that the some stuff will be missing though: the triggers that switch to action music in certain files don't get played, which is why my mix took quite sometime to put together...
Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

I loved the soundtracks of these Amiga games:
- Shadow of the beast 1-2-3
- R-Rype intro
- Chuck Rock
- Agony
- Superfrog
- Awesome
- Evil's Doom
- Black Crypt intro

But let's not forget also the singed Cannon Fodder intro "War has never been so much fun!"
Don't let a closed door stop you
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Turrican 2 is unequalled, but Turrican 1 is also awesome. I also love the intro music of Eye of the Beholder (Amiga version only, PC version blows).
LeCruel
Neophyte

Post by LeCruel »

Good idea, I remember sega games musics: afterburner, space harrier, outrun...

From atari games music i liked:
- Rambo 3
- Turrican 1 & 2 sure ;)
- B.A.T.
- Fire and forget 2
- Lost patrol
- Speedball 2
- Dune (it was on pc)

And many other i don't remember!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I can remember the Captain Blood music being quite weird, but I can't quite think of how it goes right now...reading through those lists has put the Chuck Rock music in my head (we had a short demo version of it on one of our zillions of cover disks from the ST-Format magazine my dad used to get).
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Captain Blood music was Ethnicolor by Jean-Michel Jarre, wasn't it?

OK, I've uploaded some more: Speedball, Xenon 2, R-Type, Knightmare and Shadow of the Beast 1. Note that some tracks are supposed to be looped in game, so I've faded them out after a few minutes.

It is kinda funny that I'm converting these tiny old mod files into big fat MP3s, but I thought it would be a more useful and accessible format for most people :)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

One great song by the best composer of them all, Chris Hülsbeck: The intro of M.U.D.S.
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

cool stuff. mp3 works fine with me.
just how about california games or winter /world games ?
had these good music tracks? .. hhmm at least it would stir up memories for sure!!
edit: you could try out populous 1 soundtrack if you like, gambit
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Dragonflight and almost any music made by Jochen Hippel (aka Mad Max)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I agree with Zyx's statement about Jochen Hippel. The Amberstar soundtrack was pretty impressive! Back in the day, I considered Amberstar almost as good as DM; at least, it was one of the very few games that I felt were special from the first moment. Only DM and Resident Evil had a similar first impression on me. Sadly, Amberstar doesn't quite stand the test of time; the interface is a bit clunky, and the pace of the game is rather slow. Still, I'll treasure those memories very dearly, and the music always has a special place in my heart.
Erik Bauer
Adept

Post by Erik Bauer »

Thank you for sharing!
Re listening to R-Type and Shadow of the Beast musics with your bass arrangement made my memories come back! Ah those were days!
And this still is good music!
Don't let a closed door stop you
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Gambit37 wrote:Captain Blood music was Ethnicolor by Jean-Michel Jarre, wasn't it? *snip*
Yup - and you may put that thing into a museum of computer arts, but better not in a list of computer games... - weird as weird can be.
MasterWuuf
Arch Master

Post by MasterWuuf »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnH-SW2K ... re=related

Loved this game in the arcade, back in Scottsbluff, Nebraska.

The seat would shift when you turned and shake when you wrecked.
I went through the whole thing and won, one day, with our oldest daughter sitting in front of me (she must have been 3-4 years old.
The manager stopped by, while I was playing, and stayed until I finished.
He hadn't seen it finished before.
He said I won a 'black hole' cap for finishing the game.

That was a nice day. :)
"Wuuf's big brother"
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Re: Game music you love, from back in the day...

Post by Sophia »

Gambit37 wrote:the original fake stereo has been merged to create a more modern stereo image (rather than 2 channels in the left ear, and two in the right), so these will sound a lot better on headphones (or even speakers come to that). I boosted the bass a little and cleaned up the top end too.
Back in the old days, I ran the output audio from my Amiga through one of these:

http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos/St ... er_web.jpg

It did essentially the same thing (via hardware, in realtime, of course) as you did to the mp3s, and it vastly improved my Amiga music-listening-to experience.

I have no clue where the thing actually came from; my dad had it and never used it. What a fine piece of technology though. :D
Banky
Neophyte

Post by Banky »

Definitely The Bard's Tale.
My brother and I spent hours in the Adventurer's Guild of Bard's Tale 1+2, creating the perfect characters and listening to the enchanting tune.
I replayed both games on WinUAE lately and hearing the music again brought tears of joy to my eyes ;-)

Another classic of course is Defender of the Crown.
I also remember Xenon II and Ocean's Beach Volley to have some funky tunes. And the intro of Blood Money was pretty cool, too. There was this voice that sounded like James Earl Jones aka Darth Vader.
And let's not forget about the melodious "Pirates!" tunes by J.S. Bach and G.F. Händel.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

finally dug in and listened to a few.. pretty neat to hear them not sounding as though they were recorded onto some kind of audio casset recorder in the middle of a room.. which is what most have sounded like.. hallow or muffled somehow.. The direct record method wins again :)
Daecon
Expert

Post by Daecon »

Wizball. The Atari ST version, not the C64 version.

I also vaguely remember that I liked the soundtrack to another Atari ST game called "The Viking Child" but I don't remember how it went.
Child of Darkness,
Child of Light,
Cast your Influence,
Cast your Might!
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Turrican II will always be my favourite, nothing comes close. But a couple of cool tracks that I don't think have been mention yet are Arabian Knights, the mines level especially, the Zool and Lotus games which I think used some of the same tracks, Lemmings 2 the Tribes and there's probably loads of others I can't remember. I think there's a site somewhere on the net dedicated to amiga soundtracks, can't remember what it's called though.
Sabreman
Craftsman

Post by Sabreman »

I'm a big lover and collector of videogame music old and new, but I especially have a soft spot for the C64 and Amiga, which are what kicked off the interest in the audio of a game being just as important as anything else.

Anyways, lots of the best Amiga stuff has been covered here, but my favourite soundtrack from the machine is from Astaroth by Jochel Hippel. It's a chiptune rather than a MOD, and it's glorious. A medley of the four tracks clocks in at around 15 minutes. 15 minutes of bleepy goodness :)

A few more favourites of mine not yet mentioned are the title tracks from Uridium 2, Silkworm, Pinball Illusions, IK+, and the amazing Ghouls n Ghosts.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

You might like the Nintendo samples here http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PN7DNY06 - MP3 format, sorry not ID3 tagged.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I just uploaded the WAR! theme from Cannon Fodder and all of the Hired Guns music.