Sherlock (BBC TV)

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Sherlock (BBC TV)

Post by beowuuf »

a) Did people enjoy this re-imagining? (I did)
b) Did people tonight love moriarty when he finally went face to face with Holmes? (Answer: I was blown away by how he was portrayed, but in a good way).
T0Mi
Expert

Re: Sherlock

Post by T0Mi »

[the movie - just in case you havn't seen it yet]
Spoiler
The way Holmes character was set up is intriguing. Young, brilliant, psychopathic, drug-abusing, sharing quite a bit of the dark side of Moriarty. I've very much enjoyed this movie (and the music). They did a good job, restaging these old b/w flicks.
Last edited by T0Mi on Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I might be wrong, but it sounds like you, T0mi, are talking about the Sherlock Holmes film with Robert Downey Jr. And it seems that Beo is talking about something completely else. Sounds like a British TV show maybe?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes, it's been three hour and a half long episodes, rebooting the franchise to take place in the present. It's by Steven Poffat (head Doctor Who writer) and Mark Gatiss (doctor who writer) and has been consistently good. It should hit America in October, I would assume it's available to naughty people in Europe too, or might be relased properly soon (I would hope)

And it wasn't just the black and white films Tomi, the 80s TV series with Jeremy Brett was one of the most faithful and wonderful Sherlock Holmes adaptations there has ever been (including the new series)
T0Mi
Expert

Re: Sherlock (BBC TV)

Post by T0Mi »

oops, my bad. :oops:
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I changed the thread title to avoid confusion.

I've not watched any of it yet, I guess I have an iPlayer session coming up! I asked a few people who've seen it what they thought, and while most said it was good, there seemed to be agreement that Martin Freeman's "Watson" is the same as Martin Freeman's "Arthur Dent" and "Tim from the Office". IE, he can't act. Is this a fair observation?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

I really miss Jeremy Brett but i'd like to watch that new serie too !
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I thought he was fine as the straight man
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I finally watched this, too. So far, I have only seen the first two seasons, as the third one isn't out yet in Germany. I love it! :D Cumberbatch and Freeman are both great (Cumberbatch especially, obviously) and have great chemistry. Sherlock's character is just a wonderful reinterpretation, way more complex and possibly even funnier than Robert Downey Jr.'s role in the Hollywood movies. The whole transportation to our time works magnificently, with some great visuals of overlapping text messages and so on. I also really enjoy the throwbacks to the original Conan Doyle stories in characters, plot points or episode titles.

I really loved the first season, but it was the second one that totally blew me away. The first episode "A scandal in Belgravia" was a stroke of genius, the first meeting of Sherlock and Irene Adler is a classic scene for the ages.

All in all, this is the best thing I've seen since Dexter. I'm eagerly awaiting season 3 to be available in Germany, though a friend who saw it already told me he thought it was weaker than the first two.