Ray Harryhausen

Discuss anything about your favourite books, TV, films, cinema, theatre, music, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Ray Harryhausen

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

growing up as a preteen I enjoyed adventure stop animation movies, works done by Ray Harryhausen. I was so inspired by these movies and I have fond memories of them. this was one of my favorite battles, does anyone recognize the movie. These movies remind me of DM somehow.

keep your gor coin handy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Re: Ray Harryhausen

Post by Ameena »

Ah yeah, good old Jason and the Argonauts - I imagine it's one of those films that if you've seen it, you'll remember it because of the Ray Harryhausen stuff. Same with Clash of the Titans I suppose, though I've not seen that one nearly as many times as I've seen Jason.
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

Coooool. I remember those films and scenes. Great stuff. I was very young but they made a big impression
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

yup, those movies moved me.
keep your gor coin handy
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

ebeneezergude wrote:Coooool. I remember those films and scenes. Great stuff. I was very young but they made a big impression
+1
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

this guy did everything with some foam and some wire with paints
keep your gor coin handy
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I once read an i terview with James Cameron where he said that Jason and the Argonauts was the film that inspired him to do something with movies. Apparently, he came out of the cinema and thought "I want to make skeletons fight, too".

Harryhausen was great, it is simply amazing what he did with these models. He was a really creative artist.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

they will inspire me forever, they are so beautiful to watch
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Image Image

save me!

I think I will try and create the Cyclops for DM... his works stun me.
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

the incredible TALOS. the sound of him moving, copper(bronze) metal grinding scared me as a kid.
keep your gor coin handy
ebeneezergude
Expert

Post by ebeneezergude »

Chaos, you'd absolutely love a ps2 game called 'Shadow of the Colossus'. I think you said the last console game you played was pong but at least check it out on the Internet. It's a piece of art. In my top 5 all time ever videogames (along with DM, naturally).
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

just had a look at some of the pics of the monsters, yeah they are big. the work is really detailed. I am guilty, I didn't play console games pretty much after pong came out. I was busy playing with the opposite sex :lol: there was one game I did play because my children sucked me in to the challenge to beat it, it was called Kid Chameleon. tough game, took days and days, I managed to take their challenge and win :D I had enough after that.

when those movies came on back then even when my children were young there still was fascination when they watched how Ray Harryhausen manipulated those creatures. there is something about them that draw me back to playing with my own toys as a kid. imagination, I used bones and close pegs and all sorts of junk to represent monsters, space ships, fighter jets, submarines... those memories I don't want to forget.
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

imagination is where it is at... rubber bands, nails, wood pieces, all sorts of stuff that was common. I didn't have a GI Joe :) I had clothes pegs to play with. the crowd I hung with usually burned dolls and toys like that, barbies were a good melt. the gang use to throw fishing line over the wires and attach the dolls to it, hide behind a bush and wait for the next car or unsuspecting pedestrian :twisted:

speaking of models I grabbed the skeleton model, from Japan, it moves around like a GI Joe, I just had to have it. I'm still a kid underneath
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

the amazing Kali... I wouldn't want to be in the way of these swords :shock:
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

great detail, love the skull belt
keep your gor coin handy
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

I vaguely remember those movies. I was born just a few years too late to have really grown up on them but they are impressive in their special effects, considering the technology they had to work with back then.
there is something about them that draw me back to playing with my own toys as a kid. imagination, I used bones and close pegs and all sorts of junk to represent monsters, space ships, fighter jets, submarines... those memories I don't want to forget.
Yeah, the good old days of playing with imagination. My favorite toys to play around with back in those days were things like the GI Joe toys, which had articulated limbs but didn't have any crappy automated actions to them. The action figures were the model, and my imagination was what determined what I did with them, and I did all kinds of crazy things with them too. Man, those were good times. Good times.
think I will try and create the Cyclops for DM...
Do it. I have no doubt that if you build it, someone will want to use it in a dungeon sooner or later.
Seriously Unserious
Master Superior

Post by Seriously Unserious »

Chaos-Shaman wrote:Image

the amazing Kali... I wouldn't want to be in the way of these swords :shock:
:lol: Fighting an opponent who can fight 2-swords style would be bad enough, let alone someone who can fight 6-swords style...

At least that demon can't dance Gangnam style. thank heavens for that at least. Could you imagine some 6-armed she-demon dancing Gangnam style? :roll: No? good, lucky you. :P
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

heh :) I can imagine a lot of things. I'd offer her gifts, maybe some perfume, some gangnam bling, a new sword, a skull, a bunch of grapes and a rose to keep her hands busy. a few loud screams of horror. if only to turn into this
keep your gor coin handy
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

Dungeon Master was such an impression to me, it was much like these adventures, in this movie so many things remind me of DM. the story and music through it is sure to touch the intimate rpg player, the masculine and the feminine are well played. the classes such as magician, fighter, ranger, thief, damsel, pirate, princess, captain, monster is beautiful. classic, so here it is, 7th Voyage of Sinbad.

https://www.sendspace.com/pro/dl/9124i1

this is an adventure done in 1958, the work is Ray's
keep your gor coin handy
terkio
Mon Master

Post by terkio »

Thanks. Excellent.
"You can be on the right track and still get hit by a train!" Alfred E. Neuman