In the market for a title.

Lesser known clone projects or isolated news items about rare or unusual clones.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

In the market for a title.

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I thought about Krypt Lord. It sounds satirical, which isn't my intent, but I want to make it obvious where the heritage lies (Krypt ~ Dungeon, Lord ~ Master, get it? ha ha). Spelled slightly wrong like all great arcade games (though this would not by any definition be an arcade game, nor would it merit arcade status). Was surprised when Google turned up nothing with this title or anything remotely like this title. Sounds like a winner to me.

I'm posting this because I'm bored, but I will eventually need a title.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lord of the Krypt?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I quite like Krypt Lord, though it doesn't really suggest any kind of heritage of Dungeon Master to me. How about "Return of the Chaotic and rather fetching Master of The Dungeon: The Sequel (Part 2)"
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

The 13th Level of Chaos

13 levels in dm, chaos actually being on level 12.. but anyway..

Chaos Reborn

Essence of Time (tip of the hat to that old trap in choose your fate)

Mirror of Chaos

Path of Sar
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Not if you count like a normal person, that's fine! : )
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Chaos Awakes

Chaos Reigns

Chaos Goes Skiing :D
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I still like mine. You can even abbreviate it to ROTCARFMoTD:TD.

Easy!

(Sorry!) :D
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

ROTCARFMoTD:TD? Yes!

I hate to say this but I find it easy to type that without looking!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Sorry. Typo. Should have been: ROTCARFMoTD:TS

;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I can't remember that - too difficult :(
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

What about "Dungeons of Death - The Last Revenge of Chaos"?

DOD-TLRoC

From the game intro: "The Death Lord strikes back once again! Don`t let him conquer the world and stop his evil plan to make a people his slaves! Go to his deep, deadly dungeon to stop him forever(*) - you are the last and only line of defence of the humankind before the earth will fall onto the darkest nightmare you can imagine! Defeat him and become the greatest hero!!!"

(*)- to the next part of the game; don`t treat that adjective so serious ;)

Dunno if it is pathetic enough! :D
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

Following with the "Star Wars" feel of the original titles: The Return of the Grey Lord is all I can think of :D
Don't be scene or herd!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Grey Lord Returns - GLR
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

Another Ventuire to the Dungeon to Kill Lord Chaos.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Oooh, ooh, ooh - Dungeon Master, Chaos Strikes Back...Return of the Magi! (Umm..cause the grey lord is..like..a wizard..ummm..yes...)
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

Hmm. You all have inspired a new line of thought, and in a surprisingly short period of time.

"Chaos Reborn" is an awesome title . . . but I honestly have not yet considered a story, and even if I had, I can't say Lord Chaos would have played a major role, so putting his name in the title may not be warranted . . . though the word "chaos" as an improper noun is always cool. This one is up for debate.

"Path of Sar" sounds awesome by itself, but as the title of a game it seems a bit dilluted to me. Perhaps as an episode, or single chapter, it would work well.

"Essence of Time" has a couple implications. One of course insinuates the time puzzle in DM, which makes the game sound like a one-trick pony (another good episodic title). The other suggest maybe an item — a magical hourglass, perhaps — called the Essence of Time, which possibly can be used to manipulate time, thereby implying game mechanics that I am wary to introduce.

"Mirror of Chaos" sounds very mystical, and rather tame. When I think of chaos or Chaos, I don't generally think of mirrors. I think of torture and fiery doom. Again, perhaps there is a magic item, the Mirror of Chaos, that plays an essential role in the story — but, again, I haven't considered a story, so I cannot yet embrace this title.

"Return of the Chaotic and Rather Fetching Master of the Dungeon: The Sequel" doesn't wrap very well, and the acronym is too long to be practical, not to mention I will never remember that title when pitching the product. "And here we have some screenies of my newest release, Return of the Mast. . . wait, Return of th. . . . . . uh, First-Person Dungeon Game."

"Chaos Awakens" and "Chaos Reigns" both assume active present tense. Too transitory and too arbitrary for my taste — does Chaos in fact Awaken? Does he in fact Reign? You read the title, and you already know what's gonna happen. That should be up to the player to decide. Now, with a little lesson in style, you could rearrange some words: "Reign of Chaos" has several meanings, and although it suggests that Chaos will indeed Reign whether you like it or not, the actual duration during which Chaos Reigns may itself be up to the player. Nor does it imply what he Reigns. Technically, Dragoth only ever Reigned his small piece of blue clouds.

Which brings to light another line of thinking we've all missed: "The Legend of Skullkeep." What exactly was the Legend of Skullkeep? Nobody knows. It was never made clear in the game. Apparently it had something to do with a basalt tower built by dwarfs several hundred years ago and filled with ancient mecha-magical machines that opened a gate to the blue-cloud realm, which was apparently a buffer realm between Zalk and wherever Dragoth came from . . . but whatever this Legend might have been will forever remain a mystery. Right now it's just a spiffy title.

I wonder if "Return to Zalk" might make a good subtitle. Say, "Chaos Reborn: Return to Zalk," or "Mirror of Chaos: RTZ." Something like that. This, of course, assumes I want to pick up the world of Zalk, which is touchy ground.

Actually, it occurs to me that I might prefer taking a futuristic bent, not unlike some recent horror franchises, and carry Chaos and his minions into the space age. Sort of a System Shock meets Dungeon Master phenomenon. In that case, consider "Dungeon Shock: Chaos Reborn."

I like it. I like it a lot. Have we just conceived the perfect combination of games?!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I do believe so :)

Magic still having the place of bionics and checmicals, but otherwise a natural continuation of the themes from DM2 in a futuristicerer setting
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

Hmm, Zalk Zero. ;)
Don't be scene or herd!
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Any artwork ideas?

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

LOL

I mean...it's still not funny....
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

OYG. I'd forgotten all about that.
Don't be scene or herd!
Sophia
Concise and Honest

Post by Sophia »

Tom Hatfield wrote:Actually, it occurs to me that I might prefer taking a futuristic bent, not unlike some recent horror franchises, and carry Chaos and his minions into the space age. Sort of a System Shock meets Dungeon Master phenomenon. In that case, consider "Dungeon Shock: Chaos Reborn."

I like it. I like it a lot. Have we just conceived the perfect combination of games?!
Hehe, there was a thread a while ago in the Custom Dungeons forum about a sci-fi dungeon... a few actually, it's the kind of thing that keeps bouncing around, but it'd be great if you (or anyone!) actually DID something with it. :D
Suule
On Master

Post by Suule »

I'm trying. It proves more difficult than I think it really is.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

beo.. dungeon master according to the encycolopedia maps for DM there were 13 maps listed.. so if there are not 13 levels then.. well.. not my fault :P

And level 00 is not counted.. it's the hall of champions.. :P so there :evil:

Mirror of chaos could be a new attempt at old life. He stored a version of himself in a magical mirror. and the only way to destroy him is to fuze hum back into the mirror.. or destroy it.. or perhaps it is inadvertantly shattered and there are many of him around.. or he shattered it an you need to collect the shards and reassemble it to then fuze him into it. kind of like collecting corbum.. only we collect shards from the mirror of chaos.. until then he is unstoppable!!!!

*shrug*

Seems pretty DMish to me
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

You do remember that this talk of numbering systems is how we ended up with a pact to not cut off each others fingers, right? :D
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

yes, and how I must have hoovs and am therefore exempt from that ;)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

By my fingers, Dungeon Master has 14 levels.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

By my paw-like toes I agree!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Boooo!... BOOOOOOOOO!!!

HOC does not count. It's a convoluted character select screen and interface tutorial :P It's not a level
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I think it should count. It does have one commonly overlooked puzzle — you need at least one champion to even enter the dungeon, simple but still counts as a puzzle — and some useful items. That doesn't necessarily warrant level-one status, but at the very least it deserves level-zero.

Funny you mention Zalk Zero. I was just looking at a list of old Zork games yesterday. Downloaded the Infocom collection.

As for Dungeon Shock, I was thinking something akin to Silent Hill . . . what was it, three? Where the town gradually became more and more decrepit as time passed. Hence, the setting becomes creepier as Chaos awakens, resurrects, whatever. You're basically being drawn into his world.

Alternately, technology may become useless as the basis for it disappears — no bullets back when Chaos reigned — so if you don't conserve ammo/power, you're forced to make a lateral move to magic, which of course is possible now that Chaos has been Reborn.

I'm also thinking the name "Chaos" is dated and should be replaced by something cooler, more futuristic and scientific, but that's to come.

Okay. I'm gonna work on a basis for Chaos' awakening, and then I might have a foothold on a story. That "Path of Sar" is starting to sound good, a savage cult clinging to the old ways, hoping to someday resurrect their dark lord.

Well, I guess that does it. Onward.