Eye of the Beholder IV - New - v0.011 and Editor.

Lesser known clone projects or isolated news items about rare or unusual clones.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
takis76gr
Journeyman

Eye of the Beholder IV - New - v0.011 and Editor.

Post by takis76gr »

Hello my friends again,

I decided to change my old post of my Eye of the Beholder IV engine , because many people had problems to play my game in windows 7.
So I rewrote my whole engine from scratch and I changed and programming language.
The new engine is in earlier stages , but now includes and Level Editor , and is compatible and with windows 7.

When I will make any update , I will post it here.

I have some new ingame screenshot and new interface.

And some of editor screenshot

You can download from here.

New Version is out 0.011
It was 0.033 but the 0.033 was the old one , the 0.011 is the new one with the new language.

http://www.commercial-center.com/eob4_p ... _0.011.zip

I create the engine from scratch AGAIN and I programming with PureBasic now.

Enjoy

If I will have other screenshots , I will post updates.
I am working on version 0.012....
Last edited by takis76gr on Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:37 am, edited 6 times in total.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Re: Eye of the Beholder 4

Post by Paul Stevens »

Pretty nice. Are you planning on including some
Dungeon Master-like mechanics that we have all
learned to love? Will there be an editor that
the average person could manage to use?
takis76gr
Journeyman

Post by takis76gr »

My spell runes to the lower right , reminds some mechanics from Dungeon Master.
The torch reminds again some mechanics from Dungeon Master. (You need torch fuels to see in the darkness and your torch runs out of fire) , in fact , the out of torch darkness effect in dungeon master was the worst part of the game :P

Also , characters will need food and water to survive , so this is a Dungeon Master.

Also , as you see I have and Gold , Silver , And Copper coins , which means there will be and market places to purchase potions , armour , scrolls etc.. so this is another Dungeon Master mechanic.

There will be and forest , Eye of the Beholder have few out door places , but only in the beginning , I will have and overland map which does not exist neither in Eye of the Beholder nor in Dungeon Master. Dungeon Master took place in underworld only and you started up and always went a level below , in my Eye of the Beholder , I break the limit of descent only , you will visit and underground dungeons , but you will visit and castles , towers , cities , caves , mines and some times you will go and up only. There will be and tavern and you will able to work , to make money until to play your game the next day and you will accept and quests. The story will not be linear and your goal is not to kill the lord of chaos and thats it. Here I will resurrect(Xanathar) spoil here :P , but there will be and multiple quests which will change the storyline of the game and some times the end will not be good. But this depends in the adventure you have created in the level editor.

The lockpicking system is much different than Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder , if you need to unlock some locked door , you will need to zoom in the keyhole and hack the lock device completely (Random Lockpicking puzzle), this does not exist in Eye of the Beholder In dungeon Master and in Lands of Lore to.

I will not have hall of champions , but there will be charachter generator as well , this is Eye of the Beholder. I don't like the idea of premade characters , is much better to create your character by your own. The character generator will not be the same as character generators you have seen in Beholder Series and in Dungeon hack.

The player will answer some series of questions and according to the answer your character will change like a (RPG SURVEY) , also the character will need to solve some small character generator quest (small dungeon) and according to the actions in the dungeon , the dungeon master (Me) I will judge the character and I will send order to Gods to create this kind of character. But if you don't like your character , you need to suicide and create a new one , BUT the Gods will give you penalty in your status of your next character. Hmmm , Nice Idea :)

My portals are similar to Eye of the Beholder , not similar to Dungeon Master , but the activation and traveling will be like Stargate. There will be and cursed level and you will not able to rest. (Eye of the Beholder Darkmoon catacombs) You will not able to drink a lots of healing potions or other kind of drink constantly, because , too many medicines cause poisoning or even death. Your characters have Artificial intelligence , some times will refuse everything you give them to eat or drink. Wow yet another nice Idea :) If your party will get tired , will not able to move or you will force you to make a camp , or even some of your players fall a sleep during a battle.

There will be and level (map) editor , you will make your own adventures , you will able to change the monsters attributes(Hp , hit dice , spell , experiences) , levels , wallsets , buttons and puzzles.
You will able to transfer party from Eye of the Beholder 2. I don't know if I have compatible Dungeon Master party transfer.

Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master are very similar games and my game is in the middle of them with taste of Lands of Lore 1. I don't know if I add Lands of Lore transfer party , I don't have decided yet.

I will post and other screenshots , and some time when my engine will be complete enough so my game from engine become a game demo , I will start create and the level editor (In fact will be the adventure editor).

That is for now , I will post when I have some new to presend , have a nice day... :)
Beastman666
Journeyman

Post by Beastman666 »

Hiho,

downloaded. game won't start, giving me a windows error message displaying the game's path + "eob4.exe" and a "falscher parameter" (wrong parameter) error - no further information and no windows-event entry. using win7 64bit. any ideas?
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

same here. vista 32 bits.
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
takis76gr
Journeyman

Post by takis76gr »

Could you please show me how is the error exactly with image.

I don't know if it will run in 64 bit operating systems , I never tried it.
Did you install directx ? , here I run in Windows xp with direct x 9.0c

I don't have tried it with directx 10.
The game runs in any directory.

Show me your error messages to see if I will fix it.

There are some dlls in the game directory.

These dlls are directx 9c for windows xp dlls.

Try to delete these dlls , so might your system confusing your installed directx dlls from your machines with my dlls in my game.
Try to run without the dlls , so your systems will try to run your own dlls in your machines.

I put the dlls for debuging.

Also these dlls are microsoft foundation class libraries or c++ run time libraries. Might there will be a problem , try to install the versions of your computers or your operating system mfc run time libraries or your operating systems directx.

Delete my dlls...
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Even my evil notebook (win7/32+dx9) runs it without problems. I got some MS Development Systems installed, but your DLLs don't disturb.
A very fine piece of work takis!!!
Though - I got a bug report: image missing at line 6742.
And talking about consistent art in the other thread: for my taste, this pure metal 'mouth' door - that's simply to 'clean' for such a dungeon. A rusty one that already has eaten dozens of adventurers won't disturb the illusion.
Is there any exit function? Thought it to be 'in' the disc symbol - but no. esc, alt/ctrl-q/x don't do it too.
When killing a monster, something visual should happen, or you don't know if it ran away or whatever. Some confirmation should be there.
Creating the spell - clicking the runes, I love the sound (and you Vangelis, hm?) - if the spell finishes - aaargh - that one is evil!
Have some 'tadaaa!". ;)
Then - giving the name EOB 4 to the game - that's ... don't know how to express it... I would avoid that. Just let inspire you from the names creations of the clones that are made here. If someone would have the idea to call a new clone 'Dungeon Master 3', he would surely get a lot of detailed lists of weaknesses of this clone :twisted:
Beastman666
Journeyman

Post by Beastman666 »

takis76gr wrote:Could you please show me how is the error exactly with image. Delete my dlls...
OK. My System is Uptodate, including all the various c-runtimes and directx 9/10. here is the error message i get:

http://img841.imageshack.us/img841/330/eob4error.jpg

Deleting the dll-files from the directory doesn't help. Running in compatibility-modes doesn't help. Will try on my old XP-machine.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

It seems that the development language DarkBasic itself has problems with the 64-bit-mode.
takis76gr
Journeyman

Post by takis76gr »

Hello ,

The game was created with DarkBasic Pro , yes there are problems with 64bit operating systems , I will try to contact to the game creators to see if they will fix this.

At -> Beastman666
I saw your error screen , but doesn't help me much. Might 32bit applications don't run in 64bit operating systems at all. Try it with some friend's computer in 32bit , I don't have 64bit operating system to check it here yet.

At -> Bit

The first 2 runes casts Burning Hands spell.
The first 1 rune cast healing spell which I don't have finished yet.

The game exist with SPACE for now , before was exit with ESC , but I trapped this key when I finish , I will exit normal from this disc menu which is not ready yet.

My Blade traps , yes are very clean for a deep dungeon , I will try to change the texture and I put some blood and some mold.

Strange about missing image at 6742 line , which there is nothing and in 6743 , I put my mouse hand pointer image which exists.
Do you see the hand pointer when the game starts? where do you generate this error? can you produce it again?

I thing all of these might be compatibility issues with Vista and Windows 7. I will try to find other computers and recompile my game in other computers again and I will post different operating system versions.

When my monsters dies , just disappears , the same as this happens in Eye of the Beholder series. In Dungeon Master , they generate some smoke.

I had posted my game and in English Amiga Board and I had more bugs than I have now , most of them I have fixed , I will keep updating my game and when I arrive at the game demo , I will start to try my game and in other operating systems.

Thank you veru much , if you have ideas are welcome...
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Yes, the mouse cursor is visible.
The message appeared in the background, so, was just visible when I was looking to the desktop while the game was still running. Maybe that disappears when closing the game, so you never spotted it, and maybe it comes up in an early stage of the game when something isn't still initialized.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

looking very good! Nice work Takis! :)
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Stingm
Apprentice

Post by Stingm »

I like this very much! How long before a new version is posted?
takis76gr
Journeyman

Post by takis76gr »

As I see , some people didn't had any problem at all.
So I think , my game doesn't have problems , might compatibility issues with operating systems.

In future updates , I will try to update and language too , if they have any language update , and I will recompile.

Now I am working with portal mechanics , trying to make the portal runes work and the vortex of the portal opens and the traveling sequence appears as video clip and then the party will teleport to other map or in other place in the game. I am programming very slowly because I want anything I add , to be as most perfect as possible , and especially the portals , will be one of the best parts in my game.

At -> Bit

Strange , if there were any missing image in line 6742 when the game finds some mission object , either image or sound or file , drops error and the program stops and return to windows , so if the game is starting , means there is no missing image.
Also , if there is any code problem , the program doesn't compiles , and if there any missing .eob file when the game loads , a special error appears , in few words , if there is any kind of problem the game don't start at all , at least untill to see the main game interface.

All of these are operating system problems , or even video card problems or missiong directx drivers , or not updated video card drivers.

Here I have windows xp , and everything works perfectly , some people from english amiga board , made some game testing in some operating systems as windows 7 and my game worked , I never test my game in 64bit. Windows vista is not the best operating system out there , also , when my game completely finish , I will try to port for Mac , the game creators sells one program which you are able to port in other platforms , as mobiles , Mac.

And I will ask for compatibility...

So , when I will finish the version 0.033 with portals ready , I will post , and I will try to compile in windows 7.

Have a nice day for now...
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

forgot to post crash message (in french) from vista 32:

Signature du problème :
Nom d’événement de problème: APPCRASH
Nom de l’application: Eob4.exe
Version de l’application: 1.0.0.0
Horodatage de l'application: 4bd9fcf9
Nom du module par défaut: StackHash_ec0a
Version du module par défaut: 0.0.0.0
Horodateur du module par défaut: 00000000
Code de l’exception: c0000005
Décalage de l’exception: 00000000
Version du système: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.2
Identificateur de paramètres régionaux: 1036
Information supplémentaire n° 1: ec0a
Information supplémentaire n° 2: 8ba9c3f9c946626975758c4c88e67eaa
Information supplémentaire n° 3: 4089
Information supplémentaire n° 4: 8287d80e65ea4bbaa9876eddaf075c0d

if i remove dlls, program crashes again complaining about missing dll.
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Just wanted to tell you that I tried it several times again and could *not* reproduce this error, even treating it pretty hard.
Rasmus
Ee Master

Post by Rasmus »

Works for me, Win 7 64 bit.
I can also say that the game is very well done. It reminded me alot of the old M&M games that I enjoyed playing alot for not so long ago. Keep up the good work!
takis76gr
Journeyman

Post by takis76gr »

It is very strange why some people have crashes , all of you , you have crashes just try to play the game in other computer , if it will play , there are problems with operating systems.
Here I am working in an internet cafee and I test it in 30 different computers and worked well.

I am making a research to see what is wrong , when I finish my portals , I will compile for windows 7 and people who have problems , will tell me after the new compilation if there was any problem.

I will release 3 different versions.

1) For windows xp
2) For windows 7
3) For windows vista - It little difficult to find windows vista here.

I will try to do my best and make my game work as more computers as I can , but some times , you might need to make a fresh format in your operating system , because , sometimes the operating system and especially in windows , everything seems to be very well , but in fact things screw up.
For example some antivirus block something , or after some virus cleaning some dll or some driver was damaged.
Or some direct x was damaged , or even the video card is damaged.
Or some window update incompatibility all we know , microsoft windows are not so stable as seems.

I have made my computer format , many times because something so unimportant wasn't worked , (I don't say to format your computers because my game is not working) , but try to see , if everything is realy working and then find the source of the malfunction it could be anything from sound card drivers , from high definition drivers , to video driver , to ageia physics drivers , to direct x , or even to .net framework , because most people have .net 1.1 installed .net 1.5 installed .net 2 installed or .net 2.5 or 3 or 3.5 (.net framwork). Or msxml 4.0

Other times might be a windows media player problem or even some divx decoder. In fact , in windows , there are so many malfunctions behind the scenes , or even something in the bios , but the computer seems to work perfect , but things are much different infact.

Try to run some program like Mad Onion 3D mark , to test your graphics card or some bench mark test for 2D. My game is not so huge or need some super duper 3D accelerator card to play.
When I started I had one geforce 8400 gt with 256 mg ddr 1 and worked very well.

I keep looking and I will try to fix the problem , also windows doesn't give some human readable error understand where's the problem?

In your error something says about "StackHash" stack errors usualy are memory stack errors , or even memory problems , my game needs some ram to run , I have 4GB ram here , but try to make some memory test , I will try to compile and some window mode version , might some graphic card is not able to switch to full screen mode , I try to guess. (Chaos) return to computer chaos.
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

Those problems usually occur with crossing some array boundary, a dead pointer, an uninitialized variable - and - using an interpreter language - you may be protected by some of those things - but then there are possible bugs in the language itself - which can sleep there undetected for a very long time. I wouldn't worry too much about! Sooner of later you'll catch such a thing - just proceed, or it will kill your will to do it!
As long as you are sure that your software-design should make it, go on!
takis76gr
Journeyman

Post by takis76gr »

Enjoy the new portal...
takis76gr
Journeyman

Post by takis76gr »

Try this link for windows 7 users and tell me if worked.
I asked instructions and they released and upgrade for windows 7 SP 1. for me wasn't run.

http://www.commercial-center.com/eob4/E ... 3_win7.rar
Beastman666
Journeyman

Post by Beastman666 »

takis76gr wrote:Try this link for windows 7 users and tell me if worked.
This version is working for me on Win7 64bit...will take a tour of the dungeon this weekend. Nice portal-idea by the way
takis76gr
Journeyman

Post by takis76gr »

I updated the version 0.033 and I compiled with newer version of language. There was an issue with windows 7 , but I tried some windows 7 and it didn't work. Might the updated version will work to more windows 7 computers than before , I will try to ask even more instructions to make it work to most windows 7 computers as possible. So far only windows xp works here.

I added almost all portal sound effects , and add one more function , when you have one portal open , but you don't enter and walk away far from the portal , the portal closes automatically. There will be and some updates as , the portals must be activated first before the buttons work , because now all portals are unlocked , in final version portals will locked or unlocked from special buttons or levers or keylocks , or with some special rune stone. So far everything is unlocked. And the light puzzle will be little more difficult.

Now I am working on animated decoration , fire pedestals or candelabras.
This version is working for me on Win7 64bit...will take a tour of the dungeon this weekend. Nice portal-idea by the way
Perfect , so might fixed , but I tried some windows 7 here and I have this error yet , even after update.

Hey linflas try the new version if works in your computer!! And tell me , might this new update will work to you too.

Thank you :D

See you with next updates.
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

Hi, I use Windows 7 64 bit and it doesn't work. Crashes soon as I run it, there is not missing parameter error anymore, like there was with the previous version. The screen shots look great though, looking foward to a working version.
Stingm
Apprentice

Post by Stingm »

It worked for me just fine. I would ask that you not make the wall stones any harder.....never liked simon as a kid. But its great for me so far. Keep up the good work.
takis76gr
Journeyman

Post by takis76gr »

At -> Antman
Yes , before I update to the new version , I had the false parameter error , after update , I don't have the false parameter error , but the game don't start , but no errors (I have the same here) , I will try to fix and this.
I would like to ask , if some people don't have service pack 1 in windows 7 try to run the game and other people who have service pack 1 in windows 7 try to run the game again.
To see if was worker with service pack or if was worked without service pack. (I try to track the error).
Bit
Arch Master

Post by Bit »

v0.033 is running having win7-starter 32bit, with no service pack.
takis76gr
Journeyman

Re: Eye of the Beholder IV - New - v0.011 and Editor.

Post by takis76gr »

From the post here and above was the old engine comments.
The newer comment posts start bellow this line , tell me if the new engine worked better or if you had any problem.

Have a nice day....
==============================================================================================
fadrad
Neophyte

Post by fadrad »

I just tried out the nev v0.011 and it is running great so far (Win 7 64 Bit). One thing I'd like to suggest is arrow key support for those old farts among us (=me) who aren't used to using the numpad for movement. Keep up the good work!!
takis76gr
Journeyman

Post by takis76gr »

At last worked great and the newer versions will work even better.
I will add support with
Q - W - E
A - S - D

W move forwards
S move backwards
Q turn left
E turn right
A step left
D step right

Keys from keyboard for people who like to play like other games (first person shooters). I used to play Eye of the Beholder with number pad , but next versions will support and the keys like above. I will add an option to calibrate your own keys for movement as all modern games have too.

I took long time for my next update , because I am working with my level editor and I create it with new programming language.

When the version 0.012 will be out I will post a new update. Thank you very much and if you have any suggestion say it here and I will add it in my game.
I have a lots of surprises. Sometime I will launch and website.

Have a nice day...

:D