[RTC] Return To Skullkeep custom Dungeon

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
THEO
Craftsman

[RTC] Return To Skullkeep custom Dungeon

Post by THEO »

Hi guys,

I have made an alpha version of my DM2 conversion in RTC. So far you should only be able to get inside the skullkeep and then the game should end. I kindly ask you to playtest the game and post me a list of bugs, questionable design decisions, suggestions and ideas (in that order, please :D )

First allow me state my reasons as to why I thought this remake was needed:

1) Original DM2 was way too short. There is no argument about this.
2) Most probably because of point 1) designers thought that it may be an easy way to make the the gameplay of DM2 longer by having monsters respawn like crazy. Respawning monsters are annoying, force player to repeat the same game experience by killing them again and again in the same location, without having him to move to another and mostly allow for money farming, which leads to a point 3... No more respawning monsters! You have killed all the monsters in some location? Good for you, move to another!
3) I LOVE the idea of shops, which is why i HATE, how poorly they were implemented in DM2. Mostly because of the possibility of money farming you could just buy the fourth/fifth best weapon early in the game, rendering most of the lower equipment totally pointless. I guarantee you that in my mod you will rejoice each time you find a new pair of shoes in a hidden alcove in a treasury of a vicious giant.
4) The same goes for spells (but this is a problem inherent to whole DM series), why bothering carrying a stupid torch, when casting a light is the simplest wizard spell you learn even before you ever set your foot into some slightly darker place. I had to rehaul the spell formulas for more balanced gameplay.

There are more hardcore features, which could be implemented thanks to RTC engine:
1] Restricted places for saving. Save only on stars.
2] Restricted runes. Makes magic more engaging.
3] Torham is still your first character, but you can get rid of him ASA you find your first freezer charge and an empty freezer. Pick your party members carefully.
4] Special character skills ala Ravenwood. These are still WIP.

I am looking forward for your feedback, but mostly hope you will enjoy this experience.
(Installing instructions: Just unzip the contents of the file into your RTC folder, it should add new content to Data and Modules/Examples, Modules/New folder. Follow instructions in the editing file and modify your config file if needed. Have fun.)
THEO
Craftsman

Re: [RTC] Return To Skullkeep custom Dungeon

Post by THEO »

[EDIT: Sorry, I have updated the version and this one is no longer actual. I shall upload new functional version in couple of weeks for testing. Stay tuned!]
Last edited by THEO on Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

ooooooOOOoooOooooo, right, i'll have a go at this when finished the current dungeon I'm playing, SOTF. i am not sure it is the time to be doing this though. have you checked out some of the other dungeons made with RTC?

welcome THEO
keep your gor coin handy
THEO
Craftsman

Post by THEO »

Oh no, not really. I am totally aware there will be tons of similar efforts or even total conversions, but I just felt like creating dungeon to my liking, without any intention to bring something new and spectacular. I do not have a time and capabilities to create a truly outstanding dungeon. If somebody else finds my efforts worthwhile, it would be nice of course, but I am determined to finish this one nonetheless even without any positive feedback.
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

I understand you fully. that's the way you want it done. remove regeneration unless food supply is good, changing up the shop is a GREAT idea as I feel as you do about the availability to buy things to easy, depends how the currency is earned I guess. this can certainly be worked with in a better way. lots of RTC dungeons coming, let's hope they make those changes you mention.
keep your gor coin handy