Yet another Conflux II thread...

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I tried taking just Leif at first, but he died pretty easily. Then I think I tried Leif and Iaido (Lockpicks, yay!) but Iaido died too easily (not changed much from how I remember him in DM, hehe). Then I tried taking a party of three or four fighters but the lack of magic (and thence the inability to cast a simple light spell) kind of got annoying. My current strategy is to just try with the four basic characters. I've got the furthest with them, so far, but that might also be because I've played the beginning part so many times now that I havea pretty good idea where stuff is, lol.
At least finding the Zo Liqueur (and other stuff there) doesn't take me ten minutes any more like it did the first time :D.
Although dying to one bite from a rat is a bit of a pain :P.

Post by Glorfindel »

Thanks for your replies, this forum is great.

A now, it's time to play :wink:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, don't take just Leif at first, he dies really easy! At least take Leif and Iadio, I found them a nice combination, but really the four party team is the best with the four initial guides...

As a tiny spoiler incase people haven't realised the guild halls are not just filled with people, each has at least one useful item/location that makes it worth exploring further...
It is a guild hall after all!
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

They also have more members than may be apparent at first...
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

hey Zyx, a BIG THANX for Conflux II, the best (biggest) DM-style game ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I`m currently playing on it, but... I have one question... when I kill that guy in the corridor, who says like "come on and I`ll kill you" or something like that, some nasty fire killing me quickly. I can`t move and I`m dead. What to do??
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Adamo: Take a good look at the quest competition - you may find your answer there.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That is the lich Vecna (a she infact). Not many can face a lich and live. Fewer still can live with the consequences of vanquishing them!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

after killing that @#*^%, a lot of things appearres, but also that fire...so maybe I have to collect boots of speed or something to get out of there quickly??

maybe I don`t have to kill her, but I WANT.. just in the name of the "rules/principles"... 8)
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
Spoiler
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

High health, no injuries, and a very agressive approach to your movement might see you clear - I hope you didn't save in the middle of the battle
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

yeah, the problem with guys like me is that I save game sometimes during the battle. I think making it impossible to save OUT from some special points (where you could ONLY save the game), would solve the problem. But it is possible in CSbuild?
(I mean the "save-points", where you can save the game only while you`re on it). I know it wasn`t originally in DM, but maybe it`s good idea?
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I'm not sure if that's a good idea. The nice feature of CSBWin is that you have 4 slots to save games upon. I usually save games in slot a, and when in a fight or otherwise difficult situation, I save somewhere else. This really helps.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

but i realise, that saving during the battles or in some other critical situations is just ordinary cheating!

it helps, but you can win every battle on earth with closed eyes when saving... these save-points would make the game bit harder... I think it`s excellent idea!

let`s say we have 4 save-points in level 1:
1(2,1)
1(4,12)
1(7,16)
1(11,6)
as you see, level got 11x12 tiles, so I think 4 save points would be ok (but it would depend of a level, game or dungeon+designer).
the only possibility of saving (no matter in wchich slot), would be when a player is EXACTLY on one of these points.
But... is it doable in CSB...
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

First you say you do it, then you condemn it as cheating? That's strange...

Anyway, I can't see how using an ordinary game feature could be cheating. Conflux especially demonstrates that a game can still be very difficult and challenging if you can always save game. Removing this feature and going to save points would cause a lot of frustration I think, and would be of very little benefit. And I totally disagree with you that every battle becomes a walk in the park with saving. In fact, when dancing around a dragon in a 2x2 room, I don't dare to save, because opening the character screen might just cost a little too much time.
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Adamo, I think you can run from the lightinings after the death of the lich, or during the fight, through a test of will.
However, as she said upon her death, you only defeated a shell: Vecna won't let you seize her treasures.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

if it is impossible to get her treasuries, could you then reveal a secret, what have she got? are her stuff powerfull? I m asking because of my inquisitiveness only... :wink:

BTW what do you think of that savegame points idea?
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

I implemented the idea of disabling savegame during certain moments like the trail of final fights in the new version.
I feel the game is difficult enough to allow saving at almost any moment, though.
And saving in the middle of battle have some drawbacks, like loosing some precious seconds.

Personnaly, I wouldn't like this checkpoint system: I want to save my game whenever I want and where I want.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

beowuuf wrote:High health, no injuries, and a very agressive approach to your movement ...
I stand by my recommendations. I won't even get into the save point debate, but save poitns are bad idea, who says the hardest opart of a dungeon is its combat? A good save can allow you to try crazy answers to riddles without frustrating you with having to spend alot of time recovering or losing precious resources

And I agree about saving in the middle of a fight - there are many circumstances where you ouldn't dare!
Plus, why does everyone feel the need to police and force people's playing styles? People are quite cabable of showing restraint or making games harder for themselves without alienating other people in the process.

I remember someone agrued, quite rightly, that they don't spend long playing due to real life. So they may well save often, simply because they don't have the time or will to spend what little free time they have playing the same area three or four times just because of some strange restricted rules... just food for thought!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I agree 100% to this.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I, too, agree that the player should be able to determine
what is most appropriate to his/her enjoyment of the
game. And I push this one step further and disagree with
people who would encrypt their dungeon to prevent
cheating.

On the other hand, a dungeon like ConfluxII can be a
great group effort if it is understood that everyone playing
it is SUPPOSED to share what they discover. No such things
as spoilers. We can call it research/discovery/publish.
ConfluxII will survive this universal effort I am sure.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, as i stated that i realised i had probably also allowed the way for arguments about allowing readability of all dungeons and communism. Ah well...
Antman
DMwiki contributor

Post by Antman »

It is possible to get Lich Vecnas treasure, but the chests are empty as i recall, you just have to be fast and able to take some damage. I was so dissapointed when i got those chests, it took me ages.... :(
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

When I realize some crazy players would get the chest no matter how difficult it is, I put coins inside.
I'll put something more rewarding inside, though, for the next version..
Last edited by Zyx on Sun May 22, 2005 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

you did it, Antman? well, I`m impressed.. :)
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Rico Len
Novice

Post by Rico Len »

Well, I started playing this game... er... years ago now. 2002? Before v2. I finally quit because it was too buggy. But I haven't seen one bug yet in this version (2-j) and I want to say once again that damn I love this dungeon! I can't tell you (Zyx) how impressive this is. The amount of time you must have spent on this is phenomenal! :D

But damn I suck! I've been trying to just get my barings on this game and I'm only just barely getting to the point where I can get to (but not back from) Moria easily, and to various other places like the Temple. But after reading this thread I've come to find I don't even know where to find some places. Like this tower of manpang. <sigh>

I've gotten a great party together though. I've opened all the guilds up except for the mages guild now. Still need at least two more corbums. On the other hand I have so many extra maces it's pathetic. :p

Leveling has been easy enough though. I get my characters to craftsman ninja and fighter using the fountain in the cellar that spawns the screamers, then use the snake staff I found to up my mana enough to gain some levels in wizardry and priesthood. From there I just drop down into moria and fight the never-ending supply of yellow antmen. In less than an hour I can have a character up to low master everything, with about 500 health and 180 mana.

I did it the hard way with Leif alone for a long time until I opened up the guilds to the point where I could get the characters I wanted. But with Sonja, Chani, and Layla it was quite easy to get them to be quite good.

Now if I could just figure out how to get into the dwarven forge and open the door to the temple, etc. :p I think I'm gonna grab some graph paper and start mapping though. I get lost waaaay to easily. In any case thanks for the dungeon Zyx, it's awesome!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

For things like the forges, mapping is very, very useful...
Rico Len
Novice

Post by Rico Len »

yeah I don't doubt it...I'm just about to get started on the mapping now.

btw I saw someone talking about using only the maleficent (sp) guild... I've only seen that toadrot guy is there more to that guild that just that one character?

Just last night I realized that those gems I find here and there have quite a useful purpose. Quite ingeniously implemented. It fits perfects (pardon the pun) and yet I don't recall one DM or CSB puzzle that worked that way. Not that I have everything in CSB memorized. I still have a difficult time beating that game.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes, I dont' recall the gem thing in any other dungeon...

The malificent guild is that toadrot guy - if you selected him you'd see what happens.