Black Flame review

Custom dungeons for CSBWin. Includes all Confux 2 and 3 discussions.

Moderator: Zyx

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Froud
Artisan

Black Flame review

Post by Froud »

Black Flame Review by Alan Froud

Just completed Black flame by Paul H and I would like to offer this review of the game. P.S Thanks to Paul and Trantor for a few timely hints along the way!

GAME PLAY 9/10

The game ran without a hitch and the balance of fighting to puzzles was generally right throughout the game. I was slightly taken aback at the strength of the early monsters, but fairly quickly worked out that ideal training facilities were readily available. This was a great strength of the game as it was possible to return here from any part of the dungeon at any time once the shortcuts had been worked out. This meant that my team were never in danger of expiring from lack of food or water lost in some lonely part of the dungeon. In this respect it resembles the original DM, where the linear nature of the game means by back tracking if necessary, food and water are nearly always available. Great new armour and weapons, really well thought out and designed. The only drawback was weight issues with the armour and swords. I took the recommended two characters and they were unable to carry a lot of the items without becoming overloaded. Strength potions did solve this however.

PUZZLES 8/10

Very imaginative and well executed. The only niggles here were the footstep puzzle quite near the start which was rather obscure and I needed hints to get by this. I am far from being the sharpest dagger in the backpack, but I would imagine many players getting stuck at this point. The final puzzle was also a little obscure and again I needed hints for this, I think a couple of scrolls would be appropriate here.
Overall though, Paul is to be congratulated on the originality and design of the puzzles throughout. I loved the Armageddon level. It was challenging and tricky but very solvable with a bit of patience.

MONSTERS 8/10

Nice mix of old and new creatures. The new creatures are well drawn and original. The strength of the monsters was just right for just about every situation, challenging, but never ridiculously excessive. Just a couple of places where the generators could do with being tweaked down a bit! I.E The Disco Troopers (They need to be seen!) appeared in their hundreds a couple of times and the water elementals in Armageddon were a bit excessive. Talking of which, it is about time hidden pits in all DM type games were banned by the Geneva Convention as inhumane!

ATMOSPHERE 9/10

Nicely creepy with just the right fear factor of what’s waiting around the corner. Well drawn dungeons and monsters and nicely designed so you are always slightly surprised when attacked!

OVERALL 9/10

The difficulty level is pretty well spot on. I did need a few hints along the way, but this is just as it was with DM and CSB the first time I played them. The puzzles are nearly all set at the right level for most players. The main strengths are the imagination and attention to detail Paul has worked into the game. He has clearly taken a great deal of time and effort to create this dungeon and it was very worth while.

The size and pacing of the game is just about right. Not as big as DM or CSB but plenty to do throughout.

The crucial test has to be the playability factor and sure enough I couldn’t leave the game alone. Several sessions into the early hours hoping the other half wouldn’t wake up and drag me from my computer! I will definitely be replaying this Dungeon with a four character team.

Thanks then Paul for a very enjoyable and really well designed game. I look forward to your next Dungeon.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Thankyou!

I'll have to tell the Troopers to stop breeding, they get a bit excitable...
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

With your permission I will add your review to my Games page
under the name 'Froud'.
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

Thats fine Paul.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

Very nice review Froud! I actually think the monster generators are alright now - you should have played the old DMute version! You should definitely try Towers of Chaos, Paul's other big dungeon, as it is even better than Black Flame in my opinion.
Froud
Artisan

Post by Froud »

Thanks Trantor

I downloaded Towers Of Chaos yesterday and am just setting out on the latest quest. No doubt I will be seeking your opinions from time to time !