Bloodbane Rising : Teaser

Links to all custom dungeons. Also discussions about custom dungeons: tips and tricks, questions, ideas, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Bloodbane Rising : Teaser

Post by Gambit37 »

I have a new RTC scenario in the making, "Bloodbane Rising".

I have a story worked out which is too big for a single adventure, so I'm hoping that GG might add a way of playing episodes into RTC. If not, I'm not quite sure how I will build it as I can't see it all being delivered in one big RTC file -- not only would it be huge, it would take many years to release!

Anyway, assuming I find a way of handling that, the adventure is broken down into 6 distinct parts, with the following episode titles:

1) Dark Tidings
2) The Shores of Dread
3) Grove of Shadows
4) The Barren Expanse
5) Demon Winter
6) Storming Nira Prime

It's all typical high fantasy nonsense with a quest and stuff. Very clichéd -- but I don't think that will put anyone off as the vast amount of custom art work is the thing I'm putting a lot of effort into. If I can make it half as good as Linflas' Forest of Doom demo, I will be happy!

There isn't much to show yet -- most of the work I have been doing has been proof of concept for my own learning.

There is one big difference with my adventure -- it's properly story based and will have lots of character interaction, like Conflux 3, and also different story routes depending on character selection. Some characters even have their own sub-adventures, though these won't necessarily be obvious.

I have built a custom character selector too so that you're not doing the "select champions from a mirror" thing. You start the game by selecting your characters to assemble the party, like in EOB.

I will also be using full screen "scene setting" imagery with choices that the player can make on which path to take. A bit like Lands of Lore, I think this is essential, because the quest is spread over many different landscapes and it would be very dull actually having to walk those realistic distances in a DM type engine...

I have a working large scale map too which is kinda cool, so you can get an idea of where you are in the world as the game progresses.

So... I just wanted to share. I've never actually released a custom dungeon despite having been tinkering for years, so I wanted you to know that there *is* something in the works.

I may or may not release a few images here depending on how spoilery I think they are. I will certainly be showing off work in the new private designer's forum though, as I'd like to get arty input from other artists. If you actively want to see spoilers, then feel free to PM me and ask to join the designer's forum.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

OK, clearly no-one is interested in a text-only teaser, so here are a few non-spoilery images, to give you an idea of the visual style I'm going for. It's all subject to change and some of it isn't finished yet...

Black Eagle
Journeyman

Post by Black Eagle »

:shock: :shock: :shock: Gambit that is just STUNNING! barely recognisable as DM! the textures used for the interface deserve a place in any commercial product! i like the idea of seperate chapters, and the character generator too!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Thanks! Though I can't claim too much credit -- most of it is cobbled together from other people's work... ;) I just manipulate things...
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

yeah ! this looks like what we've been expecting for years ! very neat icons and inventory, i'm so amazed 8)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Cool, thanks! I'm gonna be changing the Rune selector though -- it's still too much like DM.
Michoko
Novice

Post by Michoko »

Wow! Just... wow!

I've been wondering for a while if making a DM port to a portable console would require making new graphics, matching current standards. First I had decided to go for the original looks, because nostalgia factor seemed important to me. But those screens are just gorgeous, and I begin to wonder again... ;)
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

Gambit, this is really spiced up!
Like Michoko, I am beginning to wonder why we stick to graphics 20 years old!!

Definitely teasing! Thumbs up, way up
:D
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

Very cool. And you were right too!

I cant wait for you to publish the first episode.... I'll make a space in my diary for 10 years time? Optimistic?
Pirate Neilsouth
Novice

Post by Pirate Neilsouth »

Added here too

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33929065

I really cannot wait till the first release of this , i almost went orgasmic just over the screenshots :wink: :lol:
Pirate Neilsouth
Novice

Update please!
Adamo
Italodance spammer

Post by Adamo »

hey Gambit, that looks really cool! You must have put a tons of work in that game!! I keep my knees on it, and, by the way, if you want hi res graphics, you might use some from the DMjava graphics packs.
Really good work!! :)
Spoiler
(\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/) (\__/)
Spoiler
(@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@) (@.@)
Spoiler
(>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<) (>s<)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

No update, no free time. Like I said, this could take years! :?
Pirate Neilsouth
Novice

oh :( :(
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I really do appreciate your interest, thank you. As this is just something I do for creative fun in my extremely limited spare time, I simply won't make any promises about it.

Darn. I probably shouldn't have advertised this. I'm just gonna get it in the neck the same way I did over Codex (a failed project). When will I ever learn to keep my big mouth shut!? :wink: :wink:
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

same here... i just don't know why i released an alpha version of FoD... :roll:
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

you people and your hi-res games!
Crash.
Adept

Post by Crash. »

Awesome Interface Design!
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

It is cool to show parts of a project despite it will probably not be finished soon - if it gets finished only a bonus ! If not it was worth seeing! I do enjoy the occasional peek at other projects, and why not? :D
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

What. The. Looks amazing Gambit, I just hope it will eventually see the light of day. I play DM for over 17 years - I can wait another 17, if need be. :wink:
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Having just made a very serious attitude shift and commitment to my web-design business, I can safely say Bloodbane Rising as originally scoped in the first post will never see the light of day. Unless I win the lottery and can retire.

I have no idea what it will become, if anything, but it's safe to say it will likely only be a single adventure (ie, ONE RTC file). It might not even be a DM type game. It might not ever happen. Who knows?
Broken_Paladin
Craftsman

Post by Broken_Paladin »

Thats a shame to hear about the game, but is good about your business. I would look foward to seeing a single adventure to see all the work you did in it.
Kliber
Apprentice

Post by Kliber »

Well Gambit, just to see the snapshoots was very refreshing, I waiting for a Hi Res dungeon like the FoD or your project; I suffer from the same disease "lack of time", but I really want to do a Dungeon of my Own doestn matter if I spend just 20 min a day and twice on sundays, that wall set its georgeus, can I have it for my Dungeon? =)
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

that wallset has been made with RTCWM, you can find that tool in "RTC Utilities" forum.
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

That's sad news Gambit. But I'm with Kliber here, just seeing the screenshots was very refreshing and gave me the urge to continue building my own dungeon. I hope you will eventually find the time and money needed to complete some sort of game or dungeon, as you have very good ideas and opinions about game design.
Kliber
Apprentice

Post by Kliber »

Thanks Linflas!, excelent tool indeed, helps a lot, I did a basic wallset with some realistic textures and its amazing, still need to photoshop a lot to achieve the level of Gambit´s one (my hat its off, great detail and beauty, not just in the walls but in the inventory and objects as well; just thinking in how much time could cost me to achieve something similar.... :P perhaps too much)...

Hope you win the lottery and train some designers to finish your dungeon.... =)

BTW, any Hi res dungeon that I miss? (RTC)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

None made yet sadly :(
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Quick Update: I've finished the character selector this week. That might not sound like much but there are over 30 to choose from and they aren't simply little pictures you select from a mirror... :)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Re: Bloodbane Rising : Teaser

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

don't give up...it looks amazing!
keep your gor coin handy
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Re: Bloodbane Rising : Teaser

Post by Zed5Duke »

Look very good, but its like domino: touch one part and everything else fall. When made hi res interface it require also hi res items to fit together, when made hi res wallset, also require better monsters, and finally need to change everything. Its hundreads new pictures.