Good food, and healthy treats

Chat about anything not fitting into the other categories.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Good food, and healthy treats

Post by cowsmanaut »

I'd like to post some recipes here, and am interested in those you happen to enjoy as well. However the catch is I'd like them to be healthy or alternative in some way. For my part, my wife needs to cut out Soy, Dairy, and most wheat related flours as well as brown rice (yes, this makes life very difficult) so there is a real challenge for us to make nice meals and even deserts that avoid such things. Even more is to make things that really hit the sweet tooth when you need it and yet offer you some level of healthy elements as well :)

so here's my first.

quinoa cookies

dry:
1 cup quinoa flakes
2 tablespoons chopped or ground almonds (optional, just adds some crunch and variety)
1 cup raisins (or other fruits dried if you would rather, dried apple chunks can be nice)
1 ½ cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1tsp baking soda

wet:
two eggs
⅛ cup sunflower oil
2 tsp vanilla
two tablespoons molasses
1 cup honey

in two different containers mix all your wet and dry elements each, then combine into one bowl and let the mix sit for a few mins to allow some of the moisture to infuse into the flakes. Scoup out heaping table spoons full onto baking tray. Insert into oven preheated to 350 degrees and let bake until they get a mild tan around the edges :) you can modify this easily by adding things to the top or within. We've added pumpkin seeds on top for a bit more crunch and pretty display. These treats are packed with vitamins and protein and yet taste great. The honey adds a natural sweetness, but you could alternate to other sweeteners. you can swap the ¼ cup sunflower oil to ¼ cup margerine or butter. (most of these have soy in them, or dairy) I say ¼ rather than the eighth cup because it's always whipped with air which produces about half when melted.

hope you enjoy them, and let me know of some of your own favorites :)