New computer advice sought

Chat about new breakthroughs in technology and science. Or even about cool stuff that happened in the past...
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

yes, I agree there, a lot of the problem is the slick interfaces that new software comes with -- requires so much extra horsepower and generally for nothing. Despire the fact I'm a designer and like flashy stuff, I really hate it in utility interfaces. I'd rather have a lean functional and zippy program than a flashy slow one.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

I think I'll get my old Morse receiver out... I am feeling rather old.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Another question...

As you know, I have sorted my modem problem out by purchasing a new computer, that I was about to do anyway. I posted on the AOL site explaining my situation and the USB power problem. I said that with some chipsets, the modem will shut down as the modem draws more than the stated 500mA of current. I said that this should be addressed by AOL and advertised as a conflict with the certain chipsets and is really a problem with the modem and misleading spec. Is it my old computers fault or the modems?
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

the TV tuner card and the 512 megs is where it's saying general purpose. Meaning it's not a gaming machine or a 3D editing/video editing machine with those.

Pop a geforce fx (older but good card) or a newer geforce 6 card and add at least 512 more megs of ram and you'll be gaming. I've got a geforce 4Ti 4600 in here but I do have a geforce 6 6600 waiting to be put in. But as it is.. even with the 4600 in here I can play games, work with maya, XSI, 3dmax.. anything I like .. I also have 2 gigs of ram so I can work in photoshop and zbrush and maya all at the same time.. listening to some nice tunes at the same time as well.

take that away and I'm dead in the water with just photoshop on..

for gaming however.. 512 might be enough for most games.. really just the card.

just some thoughts on that reviewers oppinion..

moo