Clicking on monsters with items?

Questions about how to create your own dungeons and replacement graphics and sounds.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Clicking on monsters with items?

Post by Gambit37 »

Is it possible to click on a wandering monster with a specific item and cause an action?

I tried a couple of ways of doing this but can't seem to get anything to work. If you simply click on the monster with the item, it either gets placed on the floor or thrown which is no good.

Or if you do a converting click,I thought an Additional Action might help, but none seem to allow checking what object was clicked with. I tried getting the converting click ot activate a relay which checks the item that was clicked on the monster, but this never works because the item is never matched -- it's either placed on the floor or thrown.

I have a really cool idea I want to implement, but can't do it if I can't click on the wandering monster with an item. Any ideas?
THOM
Artisan

Re: Clicking on monsters with items?

Post by THOM »

I think that won't work. In RTC (as in DM) cklicking in the air (regardless if there is a monster or not) means throw an object or lay it on the floor. You can't "reach" a monster.

I had a similar problem in Xarostak1. I asked myself, if there is a way to click with an object onto another one. Don't work either. It's not intended in the mechanic. I solved my problem in creating a wallobject, where one can put my objects in.
Trego
Artisan

Post by Trego »

Can you change the mouse pointer during the game?
I was just asking because if you could (and if the other mechanics were there): first click on monster with empty hand could activate tigger on party tile, this tile checks if the part has the item (activated by on or above), this them changes the mouse pointer to the object, clicking the monster again would then work without throwing or placing down the item. Not sure how you would change the pointer back, maybe only have it active for a short time. But, I could just be making up mechanics that aren't there yet.
It's not a bug in the program, I've just gone and done something weird.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You can't change the mouse cursor as such, but you can create an item in the party hand. Though this wouldn't work either, due to the item being thrown.

What I wanted to do isn't possible, but I found another way that gives the same puzzle effect, though it's not as elegant form a story point of view.
making up mechanics that aren't there yet
For the purposes of current dungeon building, I think we should assume that 0.49 is the final version. ;-)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I solved the problem of items being thrown when clicking on monsters. It's a bit complex to setup, but works great, the only restriction is that it requires a trigger and flooritem on every tile where the creature might walk, so it's best for NPC type characters that will be constrained to a small area.