[April Fool's] New features for ESB

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Sophia
Concise and Honest

[April Fool's] New features for ESB

Post by Sophia »

I've decided to add some major new features to the next version of the DSB editor.

The planned feature list is as follows:
- Ability to write scripts in CSBwin's DSA language, if you find Lua too boring.
- Limited undo, though it's generally focused on things you didn't want to do anyway. Actions you wanted to do at the time but changed your mind about will still not be undoable.
- Lossy compression will now be supported for dungeon.dsb files and Lua scripts.
- Authenticity mode: You will only be allowed a fixed number of monster and decoration types per level, to get that real DM feel.
- Etch-a-sketch mode: Optionally, moving the window around really fast will erase the layout, allowing rapid prototyping.
- Option to randomize the editor's tileset, to make dungeon editing as much of a puzzle as dungeon playing
- Support for additional file formats, including XML, RTF, MP3, and LZH.
- Maximal level size changed from 256x256 to 65536 total squares, allowing for 65536x1 levels
Parallax
DMwiki contributor

Re: New features for ESB

Post by Parallax »

These are all great ideas, I can't wait to see it all implemented. I was wondering if it might be possible to add a 'fast debug mode' so that closing ESB automatically starts DSB and reciprocally? And since I'm not too good with fiddling with the config file I'd appreciate if you could make it the default option.
Also, I was wondering if/when ESB will get support for the visually challenged, possibly in the form of various sounds playing in the editor when actions are performed. If you ask me, there are simply not enough giggler sounds in ESB right now.
Finally, if you could extend the character records to include emergency contact information, that'd be neat. Dungeoneering is dangerous work and for most characters there isn't ANY info about what to do in case of an accident. Eventually, info about blood type, medication allergies, organ donor status, etc... would be great to have too.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I forgot that it was the 1st of April - here in Spain el día de los innocentes is on another date...
Etch-a-sketch mode
Genious!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

Please, Sophia, could you also add a few go-carts in the ESB, please? :roll:
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!