GrimoireSystem? - Beta found

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Beastman666
Journeyman

GrimoireSystem? - Beta found

Post by Beastman666 »

Some time ago I discovered this site:

http://www.grimoiresystems.com/

some googling turned up an entry on Ironworks (http://www.tgeweb.com/ironworks/preview ... oire.shtml with screenshots but I also read somewhere that this game is fake the update their release date every year.

Does anybody know anything more subtantial?
Last edited by Beastman666 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: GrimoireSystem?

Post by Gambit37 »

Well it looks nice, but based on all the broken links I'd say it was never released. Probably vapourware.
Beastman666
Journeyman

Re: GrimoireSystem?

Post by Beastman666 »

Gambit37 wrote:Well it looks nice, but based on all the broken links I'd say it was never released. Probably vapourware.
Or so it seems. Have delved into the depths of the internet and found a beta from 1998. run it in dos-box. plays somewhat like wizardry 7/8. i will give it a closer look at the weekend, but at first glance it looks very good although you have to experiment a little bit with the interface (just click on everything and you get it - i got it too) - i'm wondering about the final version...so if you want to take alook here's the link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=W9D5PKDH

From another board: "90% of the environment artwork has changed or been redone. The screen layout and interface artwork is substantially changed. Much of the interface has changed or been improved. In 2002 and 2005, there were testing cycles conducted by teams of between 7 and 16 people. Since this 1998 beta, hundreds of kilometers of maps have been added and uniquely populated. The 1998 version had about 80 regions, the new map has over 200+ regions."
Last edited by Beastman666 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Re: GrimoireSystem? - Beta found

Post by Gambit37 »

Wow, great find, I'll check it out :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Had a quick play. First impression: Exceedingly tiresome turn based RPG with awful music and too much encounter text.

I have no patience for this kind of thing.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I love how so many games of this kind start with eye of the beholder.. rather than mention what eye of the beholder ripped off :P (Ie Dungeon Master)

I mean, it comes out 3 years later, roughly enough time for them to see it's popularity and stills spend 2 years to make it :P AND... it's not like they shouldn't have heard of Dungeon Master since it's been ported to multiple languages and systems around the world.. including a long enough life span to be picked up by psygnosis and dumped onto the SNES. Then by Interplay to make a sequel. and well.. died out of north american markets to have the next sequel end up in Japan only.. but anyway.. :P By that point Eye of the beholder was nothing but a distant memory :P
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

hmm, about that phenomenom, maybe
You should take into account that SSI did the whole forgotten realms/dragonlance computer roleplaying series(pools of radiance death knights of krynn etc) back then and earned high acclaim for all that. Then they tackled a 3d dungeon romp, graphics were superb but still the "hype" was there.(or got renewed, since the games lacked innovation after some years)

what I am saying is that this(eob=first 3d game) got therefore edged into the brains of the people rather than dungeon master.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

He he , yeah, that annoys me too. Dungeon Master was, and still is, the DADDY!!!!
Beastman666
Journeyman

Post by Beastman666 »

*blink* they have a new website with pictures and forum... *blink*