[RTC] Dungeon Lore (temporary canceled)

Custom dungeons for RTC
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Zed5Duke
Um Master

[RTC] Dungeon Lore (temporary canceled)

Post by Zed5Duke »

I begin to build new dungeon (and stop until finish Ravenhood)
Last edited by Zed5Duke on Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ian_scho
High Lord

Re: [RTC] Dungeon Lore

Post by ian_scho »

good luck!
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I'm looking forward to it! :)
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

new dungeon brilliant I am very impatient to play it know you when he will be ready? :) .
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

^^^ This is why I stopped announcing new projects !!!
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

RAF68 wrote:when he will be ready?
Already am at hall of champions level. Am trying to learn something new in RTC, yesterday i found how make torch on wall and restricted runes.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

Restricted runes sucks IMHO. I've said this before, I know. Other games such as EOTB require you to obtain scrolls to learn spells. DM operates with a "free magic" system - invoke any runes you have the mana for and you may or may not succesfully cast. Conflux II changed the formulae for spells rather than forbidding undiscovered runes - I think this is much more in the spirit of the original game.
Sphenx
On Master

Post by Sphenx »

I think one very bad point of restricted runes is to begin an adventure with a so-called wizard who is not even able to cast the simplest spell. Such a loooooser. I think it would be wiser to limit runes rather by experience, or why not add new spells only available from scrolls? New systems could be imaginated, but please, don't make a junior wizard capable of nothing without having found a spell book (why s/he is a wizard, then?? -_-' )
Jan
Mighty Pirate

Post by Jan »

I don't like the restricted runes either.
Sphenx wrote:(why s/he is a wizard, then?? -_-' )
[YesMinister]Maybe (s)he's got a wizard degree from London School of Economics? :wink: [/YesMinister]
Finally playing and immensely enjoying the awesome Thimbleweed Park-a-reno!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

You can assign default runes to the spellbook, so you can give a bunch of them to the player immediately at the start of the game. This allows you to unlock basic spells at the start of the game, and allow the player to learn more powerful spells later by finding the remaining runes.

No need for all the hate, it's a dungeon designer choice after all. You don't have to play dungeons you don't like.

Personally, what I think is silly with restricted runes is that whatever is in the spellbook is what ALL your magic users work from -- so if you lose the book, ALL your characters are screwed which really doesn't make any sense at all.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

why a spell book by the way ? couldn't it be cloned to some shiny necklace where specific runes are activated and others aren't ?
why not having 2, 3, 4 or more i.e. can RTC handle several spellbooks with different runes ? why the heck am i asking all these OT questions ? :shock:
sorry Zed.. we spoil your topic
"The only way out is another way in." Try Sukumvit's Labyrinth II
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Restricted runes are very similar to rune bag from ultima underworld, and i could possibly change some gfx to look like that. To me this system of magic is very rpg, trough progress in game you learn more power and more complex spells. In old free magic you could stand somewhere trough hours and train to be master (and in fact you must do that) in restricted you must explore to get better.

I made some new design, and probably it will look like that:
-Characters will start from zero with no items and no skills, or each carry rare items connected to his job. Thief with lockpicks, scribe with magic book, guard with good armor, butcher with weapon, gardener with food, corsair with graple, navigator with compas and map, beggar with nothing, etc.
-In dungeon there will be always many choices of way, and you will be informed where lead corridor. So you can make decision what make first, go for food, armor, magic, equipment, resurect altar, potions. Not just labirynth but some logic building with guard room, food storage, kitchen, prison, library, this make more adventure parts. (Start with different party may affect later decisions of explore)
RAF68
Lo Master

Post by RAF68 »

very good idea zed, you is inspired in you of my dungeon DUNGEON MASTER FOREVER it uses this principle, zed is you to arrive in my dungeon far ???.
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

Have idea about extreme survival, probably game become annoying for some peoples who already dont like my rotten food items. Well i think its very funny.

1. break table and barrel to get
-dry wood which burn as torch (or use wood stick and rags to create torch)
-planks which put to fireplace (from dm2) make fire
-barrel lid and part of table can be used as shield (idea used in Hellgate Tavern2)
-heavy plank can be used as mace, weapon (also used in HT2)

2. you can find only dirty water which cause lost food by sickness
-but you can use skull (or other container) and fireplace to boil water
-the seme with rotten food which will cause dehydration

3. use part of monster for something usefull
-rope and knife from worm skin and teeth (used in some of my dungeons)
-long bone, skull as weapon (used in Nightkin)

In some way this survival part will work as killing factor and puzzles, so you can die in empty dungeon, no traps no monsters but lot of efforts to reach next levels.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I think you should stop giving away spoilers for your dungeon and just go ahead and build it. It's much less fun for players if they know in advance what it's going to contain.
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I think Zed is merely bouncing ideas off the forum. It's a long and lonely process being a dungeoneer!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Bouncing ideas is great, but if the stuff Zed just posted is actually what he intends to build, then it does spoil the discovery part of playing his next dungeon. When I put ideas on the forum about stuff I might do in my own games, I always keep them a bit vague and non-specific. I just think it's better for the player if they don't know too much up front... *shrug*.
Zed5Duke
Um Master

Post by Zed5Duke »

I dont think its spoiling, game will be very different so players will dont expect some possibilities, and will never use them. For example eat salt fish will cause strong dehydration which may kill player, and he will just think that is poisoned food which should avoid, but he can wash fish in fountain to become eadible (am already use this feature) So i will give full "survival instruction" in text file, ok some players may experiment and dont read it (but am not sure they fill find all options because some could be weird)
Chaos-Shaman
High Lord

Post by Chaos-Shaman »

i think restricted runes are a good idea, you reach a new part of the dungeon, you just have to cough up your book at that point, your choice of getting it back later, and there are some points you don't want the player to use spells, light spells especially. having all the spells in the beginning is ok if your new to DM, and don't know them yet. i remember spending an afternoon finding all the spells, still didn't know what they were all used for, but seeing your characters advance in levels was thrilling.
good luck zed5duke, we'll be here waiting to try it out.
keep your gor coin handy