Teaming up to with a DSB programmer?

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Teaming up to with a DSB programmer?

Post by Gambit37 »

I've been looking at DSB again. As you know, my big stumbling block is the programming of custom features.

It is clear to me that I cannot create my custom DSB game on my own; I would need to team up with a programmer.

So the question is: is there anyone here who would actually want to help me out with that? And by "help me out", I mean "write all the code". Yes, it's a big ask. Yes, I'm talking about a full collaboration to build something as a team. I have a scenario and the graphics skills, and reasonable dungeon building skills, but I lack the programming skills required to make my vision a reality.

I can get a highly compromised version of my game built in RTC on my own, but it's got so many bugs and limitations as to make it virtually unusable for my needs. DSB would solve a lot of these issues, but it introduces many new issues that I have no idea how to overcome.

Anyone interested? If there are any takers, I can further outline my ideas of how this team based approach would work.
ian_scho
High Lord

Re: Teaming up to with a DSB programmer?

Post by ian_scho »

Ach, now if you would have only asked 3 years ago... Good luck! I really think this is a good approach to building what you want.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yes, I can be a bit slow at getting things done! ;-)

I think I may actually be OK on my own after all -- as long as I can pick the brains of the clever people on the forum as and when I need to...? And perhaps borrow code you may already have created.... :D You'll get full credit of course!
ian_scho
High Lord

Post by ian_scho »

I'm more than happy to send you what little I've done in a personal mail message, Gambit. You could criticise it's structure and format and think "I could do better". I'll try and package it up and send it to you next weekend, with a brief summary of what each artifact is trying to achieve. Despite being a programmer for over 10 years I'm a nervous one with the memory of a fish - so I usually add copious amounts of comments and expletives in the code. It's not much but it may give you a few ideas.