Import RTC's spellbook system to DSB

This forum is for the Lua scriptable clone of DM/CSB called Dungeon Strikes Back by Sophia. Use DSB to build your own highly customised games.

Moderator: Sophia

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Qwerty
Apprentice

Import RTC's spellbook system to DSB

Post by Qwerty »

It's very interesting system that limited spellcasting system with the spellbook and the process of learning runes via scrolls on RTC.
So, I've made a similar object and system with lua code based on Sophia's "moneybox".
It not only can release runes but also collapse its via scroll or another object.

If you are interested in this system, Please try to check this example.

Example file
http://www.mediafire.com/?rmwmm8j9wwlv19r

Thanks.
-Qwerty-
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Re: Import RTC's spellbook system to DSB

Post by cowsmanaut »

yes, love this.. but I'm biased.. as it was my idea ;)

It's really the only way to limit player knowledge vs character knowledge. A very common problem with RPGs, both pen and paper, and games like DM which depend on the players limited knowledge for advancement. With pen and paper, you have to constantly remind players "you're not in the room.. you don't know that" .. which brings the argument "but maybe I heard something.. roll to see if i heard something" .. (sigh) the only really problem with the system (as I realized later) is that many of us also learned spells by accidental experiments.. trial and error doesn't work well here until you've gained enough runes to try.. but the benefits in balance outweigh that aspect :)

anyway, good job in carrying it over :)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

you know, was just thinking.. it would be nice it that idea could be carried to other things too.. and if it could be set so that characters with enough wizarding levels had some of the runes already implanted when you choose them from the mirror.. that is if you don't reincarnate them.. just as they come with ropes or daggers already.. I supposes it's just as easy to drop scrolls with runes on them.. just seems a bit messy somehow..
meadwarrior
Journeyman

Post by meadwarrior »

Hello!

I really like the idea of the spellbook/gradual unlocking of runes. Unfortunately, when I gave this a try, DSB crashes for me whenever I want to put the spellbook in the characters hands or drag it over the eye.
Maybe some things needed for it to work were changed in the newer versions of DSB.

:?: Does anyone use it in their dungeons and has managed to make it work?

Thanks!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I have it working, let me check what I did to make it work...
meadwarrior
Journeyman

Post by meadwarrior »

Oooh, perfect! Thanks!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It's a quick fix.

Open spellbook.lua and search for magic_runes[rune_num] and replace every occurrence with magic_info.magic_runes[rune_num]

Then do a search for magic_system_colors[1] and change those to magic_info.magic_system_colors[1]

Save your changes and the spell book should now work.
meadwarrior
Journeyman

Post by meadwarrior »

Aww yissss :mrgreen:
Once again, thank you very much, Gambit!