DMute V1.4!

Use this forum to discuss dungeon editors and other tools, like DMute (by George Gilbert, also working for RTC dungeons), DM Builder (by Sphenx), and ADGE by `rain. Includes DM editing tips and tricks.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

DMute V1.4!

Post by George Gilbert »

Well, it took me nearly 4 years to get around to it, but I'm pleased to say that DMute v1.4 is now available. Please feel free to download it from:

http://www.ragingmole.com/DMute

I've made minor updates to pretty much everything including pads, wallitems, generators, teleporters, doors, texts and mirror characters. However the major change (and the main reason why I dug the source code out in the first place!) is that you can now use DMute to export DM /. CSB dungeons into the Return To Chaos (RTC) format.

One small caveat. The implementation of various items (especially mirror characters and triggers) is very different between DM / CSB and RTC (for example, DM / CSB targets every item on a given tile co-ordinate, where as RTC allows you to select individually which items to target, possibly on multiple different tiles) and so the conversion process isn't perfect. I've tried to get DMute to handle most of the frequent differences but it still requires a manual step to go through and make sure everything works as expected. Having said that, it gets over 99% of the original DM and CSB dungeons right first time, so it's not too bad ;-)

If you have any comments, spot a bug (surely not!) or have some suggestions for further improvements, please let me know. In the mean time, have fun!

George
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Convert DM/CSB zu RTC

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Is there a simple standard way to describe the manual changes one has to go through to fix the errors that a conversion produces? I have not programmed for dungeons before and would not like to try just based on pure luck.

If that is an individual process each time that can not be described in general, I'll leave it...

Regards

PitD
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

There isn't a hard and fast formulaic set of rules for to convert between the two formats (I've done pretty much everything I can already in DMute). However it should be fairly easy, with a bit of human input, to get the rest working.

The error messages should be completely self-explanatory (and if they're not, then please let me know and I'll fix it for the next version of RTC!). Can you let me know which ones you're getting and I'm happy to help you sort it out.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Compile RTC

I must admit I did not give it a try - just jumped when I saw them ;)
But to be fair and not just give you stupid users crap I'll make an attempt tonight and let you know if there are further problems. Just let myself be scared off. So - maybe no problems at all, thanks for your response anyway.

Regards

PitD
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Compile RTC

Hi George,

gave it a try and after some problems it worked for one dungeon. There seem to be some effects unwanted (put a torch in a holder that simply vanished - will have to look what happened on the original), but otherwise fine performance.

When I tried a second dungeon, I received no error messages but still an output file (those with the long numbers) telling me there was an exception error. I'll try to fix that tonight (guess the values for author, date ... that translated as ??? disturbed him), if that works as well I'm fine.

So - thank you very much, I guess there's no help needed at the moment and I am a bit wiser on the subject.

Regards

PitD

P.S.: Did you have any time to look into the memory bug I posted some while ago (save game files got bigger - I sent you an email) ?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Been playing with 1.4 a bit and have noticed lots of little changes that you've made that really improve the overall usability:

1) Global AND local offsets displayed
2) Distinction between teleporters that are ON and OFF
3) More control over numbers of monsters generated by generators
4) More control over teleporter rotation
5) Viewable champion statistics directly on their mirrors
6) Once-only actions added as a toggle box for active items

I also noticed one bug that hasn't been fixed: the party pointer, when read from saved games, is still on the wrong level....

Anyway, a great and useful update! Thanks!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

This post lost its position during forum maintenance. Posting a reply to bring it back to the top of the list. Note to admins: Do not delete this message until it receives another reply.

Return to “Editors and Tools (DMute, DM Builder, ADGE, etc.)”