so speaking of Half life 2

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

so speaking of Half life 2

Post by cowsmanaut »

has anyone been readin the making of in pc gamer? The engine sounds seriously kick a$$!!

The AI example used was this walker thing that comes up to a bridge while trying to get at you . You first thought is, yeah it'll get caught up on that, it can't go over it. So you naturally are stunned when it then tries to destroy it with it's masive feet. You then relax a bit when you discover it's not breaking. You then proceed to $#!T you pants when you realise it's decided to get down and limbo under the bridge. Damn, but that's just too smart. :)

In addition monsters and bad guys will pick up items in the environment if they can and toss them at you or use them. Open doors and the like. Nothing all that new in itself but in addition to their added adaptive learning it's something that means that you need to respect every monster you meet. Also your buddie has returned, he's also figured out that running into fire is not exactly the best thing to do. He'll cover you and retreat when he needs to. He will point out items in the environment you might not notice.

Other elements of some of these monsters is some are going by smell alone so using some of the bug pherenones as sweet sweet perfume may allow you to run with a pack of killer bugs with out them tearing you to shreds.

The other thing is for map builders. Textures contain more than just the colour and alpha info. They carry atributes. If you apply a metal texture the sound files needed to make metal sounds come with it as well as mass and other physics related info as well as damage decals for bullet strices and other stuff. From a mod standpoint it's massive.

Along with the mod ideas, adding in your own dialogue for story elements is easy as pie as you need only add the sounds and their lip sync program analyzes the sounds and then adds the appropriate phenomes(mouth shapes). You script in only the emotions. Is that cool or what?

They simply have seemed to have thought of most everything. it's very powerfull.

moo
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Yeah, I've read PC Zone's magazine preview and seen some of the stuff on the web, but I've decided not to look at any more until the game comes out. I want it to be a surprise, and I think I may have already spoilt it for myself. :-(

It sounds like HL2 is the game I've been waiting for. Unreal 2 was the biggest disappointment ever, so I need something engaging and interesting to play! Roll on September!