A Big Thank You!

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
madeducator
Novice

A Big Thank You!

Post by madeducator »

You've done a great job, George! Thanks for making DM playable in Windows. We used to play when my son was about 3 (he'd hack the screamers for us and throw them to earn ninja points). Now he can play it on his own anew. :)

I'm just beginning to read your instructions for making new dungeons and learning how it all works.

Again, thank you for making a great game even better.

LK (aka MadEducator)
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

Hi there madeducator,

Nice to have you on board.

If you are looking to create you're own dungeons have a look here mate and let me know what you think.

It is not finished yet, but it is a start.

http://www.freewebs.com/andyboy_uk/rtcEditingGuide2.htm

Ta,
Regards,

Andy
madeducator
Novice

Nice Tutorial...

Post by madeducator »

The only thing that I still don't see (and this is because I'm no good at visualizing 3-D rooms in code or on a graph) is how to place things on the dungeon squares.

For example, I used the example files and modified them to add things to the "Orange" room. Only I can't see how to place an object in a space other than that one where the orange is.

If the code is:

<unique_id_number> <object_id_tag> <x> <y> <level>

Are X and Y graph coordinates? What are the X and Y in relation to? The entrance? And, how does changing compass direction affect these?

This is where I'm messing up.

LK <who knows she's missing something but can't figure out what that is>
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

this is why you should look into Dmute 1.4. as placing items and moving walls etc is simple enough in there. It's when you get down to setting up triggers and the like that you will need to get down into the code, but the basics can be done with Dmute.
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

@Cows: DOes DMute work with RTC?

If you think of a dungeon room like so:

Code: Select all

+X0123456  -- X
Y/-------
0|111111
1|1A1111
2|111111
3|111B11
4|11C111
5|111111
6|111111
|
Y 
Ignoring the far left column and top row (as they are coordinate references) and the lines on the column and row next to them as they are just for clarity.

Poistion A is X=1, Y=1
Position B is X=3, Y=3
Position C is X=2, Y=4

So to put a dragon at position A you would do

0001 MONSTER_DRAGON_RED 1 1 1 HEALTH=(100)

Ok that is a pretty weak dragon but that is the general idea.

Then to put say some bread on the floor with the dragon (for toast :)) at position B

002 FOOD_BREAD 3 3 1 NORTHWEST

the NORTHWEST can be substituted for NORTHEAST, SOUTHEAST, SOUTHWEST and CENTER/CENTRE (dont know which spelling is used in the engine) to change the position on that tile.

Hope this helps you out. I will continue with the guide pretty soon and the tutorial is the next section to go in.

:)

Later
Regards,

Andy
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I'd just like to post a little comment on your guide Andy...it's very cool :) The reference list of items etc has been of course very useful, and when you get the tutorial bits done I'll be able to properly look at them too :)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

that was the point of Dmute 1.4 as far as I know.

http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40

mooo!
madeducator
Novice

DMute and placing objects etc

Post by madeducator »

I tried to look at DMute, but I'm finding it easier to just use the code. Though, I do like to see what the dungeon looks like on DMute.

I've been playing around with the existing txt files and I think I have a handle on how to place things now.

One other thing I can't seem to figure out is whether I can create new monsters. I seem to be able to only clone the usual DM mosters.

Thanks to you all for the advice and suggestions. They've been very helpful. :)
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

If I followed andyboy's manual correctly, you have to clone an existing monster and then "overwrite" it with a new image you loaded into RTC. I'm sure the manual has a more precise description, or maybe Gambit will come up with some example code lines for you 8)

Regards, PitD
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

There actually was a post from George in another thread, see:
http://www.dungeon-master.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=20408

Or just read here: "The intent is that when you clone a monster the new monster inherrits *all* the attributes of the original. You are then able to over-ride *any* of those attributes with new ones (names, bitmaps, sounds, attack methods etc) if you so wish."

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

The best thing I can suggest is to check out the modules\examples folder in your RTC installtion and look at the PHANTOM.TXT file. It shows how to clone monsters and change some of their images and attributes.

I must admit I'm a little puzzled as to these continuing requests. Don't people realise that George has included these sample dungeons? How do you think I learnt how to do it?
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

There are still people coming here with little experience in making dungeons - show some patience, since you're archmaster now anyway ;)

The forums are there to provide quick answers for those questions as well, no matter how often they cme up. And nobody will be spared from looking into the code anyway if they want to create a new dungeon...

Regards, PitD
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hmm, yeah, that came out wrong. It wasn't meant as a slight against newcomers more a comment on people's general inquistiveness (or not, as in this case).

I'm the kind of person who, as soon as I get my hands on something new, especially software, I pull it apart to see how it works. I guess I'm just surprised that more people aren't! :)
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I admit, I havent done a lot on the guide (well anything) for a while. I promise I will pick it up soon, but work (real work) has been hell and I have started a couple of home projects as well which is taking up my time.

One of those projects is an editor for RTC ! :)

There I said it, now that doesnt mean its going to get finished, or that I have unlimited time to work on it, I will start another thread for feature requests in a minute, and you can all throw in you're suggestions.
Regards,

Andy
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Did not mean to tell you off, Gambit. But not all have the ability to take things apart and understand the interior mechanics and it needs time as well. I think it's perfectly ok if someone tries to take a step at a time although I can understand your approach.

I'm quite satisfied myself if I take my time learning a thing when I need to since I can't decipher the complete code anyway...

Regards, PitD
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hehe, you think I would have spammed up that thread I made with so many questions if I'd thought of looking at the Phantom file or any of the others? That's something I'll have to do :)
But my brain is physically not built to understand complicated smeggy codes and stuff...the Notepad layouts of RTC I can handle...mostly :)
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Gambit seems to respond quite eagerly most of the times... maybe just some lack of coffee this morning. BTW, congrats to your Archie status, Gambit!

Regards, PitD
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Why, he is only MonMaster so far, Archmaster is at 1050 posts I think.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Absolutely right, so still 45 posts to go! By the way, I don't drink coffee -- just water during the day. Perhaps that's the problem! ;)
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Yeah, just looked up the rankings and found out that it's not 1000 for Archmaster... well, congrats anyway, there's not much left and some more questions from Ameena regarding the RTC dungeon will do the trick nicely... :D

Regards, PitD
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Lol, well I'm still most of the way through drawing out the current level of my dungeon, so it'll depend on when I can be buggered to get it done as to when I work on the file again and find loads of problems.
Current unanswered question of mine in my thread was abo changing the strength off/damage done by monsters, but in another thread it said somehting about looking through the Phantom file. So I was gonna do that, but I forgot at the time lol :roll:
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Monster attacks range from 1 to 7, each implying different damage ranges, but I think Gambit already posted the link where you can find that. Keep going, new RTC dungeons would be nice to play!

Regards, PitD
madeducator
Novice

Sorry

Post by madeducator »

Sorry for posting too many newbie questions. I guess you've all heard them before. Thanks for the help. :)

LK
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

That's why there is a forum so questions can be answered. In my opinion ;)

Regards, PitD
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

I agree with PitD: Pose them questions, all of them, I'll answer you whenever possible. That's what a forum is for.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.