The giggler-randomizer

Use this forum to discuss dungeon editors and other tools, like DMute (by George Gilbert, also working for RTC dungeons), DM Builder (by Sphenx), and ADGE by `rain. Includes DM editing tips and tricks.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
sucinum
Pal Master

The giggler-randomizer

Post by sucinum »

THE GIGGLER-RANDOMIZER

in my new dungeon (the prison), i want to use the "giggler-randomizer" like in csb to make 4 items appear randomly on 4 different places. but it doesnt work like proposed, the gigglers just dont seem to drop down the pits i have made. to make it clear, i paint how i made it:

WWWW
WXXWWWW
W_GGGGW
WXXWWWW
WWWW

legend:
_ free space
G the 4 gigglers each holding 1 object
X closed pit; pressure pad opening the pit
W wall

i hoped that the gigglers would run around, step on 1 of the X, and fall down 1 lvl. 1 level beyond, it looks like this:

WWWW
WTTW
WWWW
WTTW
WWWW

T teleportal

the teleportals each locate to 1 of the 4 destinations, where the random objects should appear. this is plain floor, not a niche.

the problem is, that the gigglers just dont step the hidden pits.
do i have the party to be close the gigglers to "aggravate" them? i dont know exactly if they run around by themselves. how can i cause them to use all the 4 pits? if i used walls closing behind them, i would maybe lock 1 of them.
some errors i removed: the gigglers are NOT dead, i checked level integrity. the teleportals are below the pits. the gigglers hold the items.
sometimes, at least the first giggler drops down and 1 object appears, but until all 4 are dropped (if this happens), a LONG span of time is gone.

my idea: pressure pads closing walls behind the last giggler (acivated by the item he carries), forcing them to step onwards and not back.

i ask u for help if anyone has tried this randomizer before (i didnt find it in any dungeon) or has a dungeon file of csb which i can view with dmute, my amiga-version of csb is just 1 *.adf file.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Re: The giggler-randomizer

Post by beowuuf »

Hi, check out mini.dat on the freedrive account (in examples folder) - it's the start csb dungeon from csb4windows

check out the junction of ways, on level 8
middle left and bottom left, there are three different bits going on.

There is a main giggler room with a line of gigglers, holding objects. They run around, and eventually get teleported to the other side. FInally they will work their way to one of the teleporter/pressure pad combos - this will a) open then close a teleporter to move that giggler to another part, where he will die and drop his contents, b) fire the object shooter close and open/close a teleporter there so the object fired is moved, and c) will open one of the pits in a closed giggler room to drop a further giggler into another set of teleprters below.

thoughts on your bit - the gigglers will only move when the party is in the three levels closest (above/below or on), and yes, theye might try to press close to the party so only one falls out

it might be easier to have an all pit in room (like 6 or 8 with teleporters below) and it is the party that opens them all at once by stepping on a trigger. So, no matter where they are, they are going to get dropped when the pits are activated <i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub17.ezboard.com/ubeowuuf.showP ... beowuuf</A> at: 8/12/01 4:53:34 pm
</i>
Was unable to (permenantly) kill off ian_scho (Haynuus), Ameena, oh_brother (Westian), money (Falkor), raixel (Petal) and Lord_Bones (Aurek) in the DM D&D game Time's Champions!

CONGRATULATIONS TO THOSE WHO MADE THE GAME WHAT IT WAS - GREAT!
Zyx
DSA Master

example

Post by Zyx »

If I remember well, i used this trick in "mildew" (available at freedrive), on level 1, in the SW corner. It was working!
Morzara
Neophyte

Have you tried this?

Post by Morzara »

This is just a theory and might cause 2 gigglers into the same area, but try this

Code: Select all

WWWWWW
WTTWWW
WGGGGW
WTTWWW
WWWWWW
have these telepoters go the following area:

WWWWWW
WXXWWW
WWWWWW
WXXWWW
WWWWWW
the level below looks like this

WWWWWW
WPPWWW
WWWWWW
WPPWWW
WWWWWW
Each 'P' represents a pressure plate to activate a teleporter in that square and deactivate the corresponding teleporter in the giggler room. The Gigglers should run into the teleporters in there room, be teleported to the area of the pit, fall, die, and the object they are carrying will fall and hit the pressure plate, which activates the teleporter on that square to its destination and also deactivate the teleporter to this area.

Too bad you can't recreate the effects of the Horn of Fear in the room you built.

Good luck.
Zyx
DSA Master

YEs

Post by Zyx »

Good design, it should work! Good luck, Amber!

Return to “Editors and Tools (DMute, DM Builder, ADGE, etc.)”