Does anyone have the e-mail address to FTL??

This is an archive of posts from the Unofficial Dungeon Master website, run by Daniel Durgan. It was the first DM web site and disappeared from the web in 2000. This archive is for reference only.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Daniel (Sweden)
Craftsman

Does anyone have the e-mail address to FTL??

Post by Daniel (Sweden) »

Hi everybody! Does anyone of you have the e-mail address to FTL or Wayne Holder? I have tried wholder@2nu.se but it doesn´t work! /Daniel (Sweden)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I think that's the only one he had that was public. He pretty much is all that's left of FTL as far as I can tell.

I tried that email as well and it works.. HE just isn't answering. I think he may be filtering messages. Anything that regards Dungeon master probably get's deleted, and he probably ignores anything he is not expecting.

Any questions about DM should probably go through here or to Interplay who now holds some of the rights to DM.
imagine how many emails he would get about DM a day if he answered so much as one of them. Then compound that with how DM2 is compared against anything else produced that year or before it.. it was different enough that many DM fans didn't like it (as much?)(though some did) and substandard to many of the other first person games being done. I wouldn't be to intersted in listening to millions of questions about why he went the way he did with DM2 and can they have the source code for DM 1 and could we know how to .. etc...
Not many people think about that..
Cheers
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I am fairly certain that FTL no longers exists. I believe Wayne now is a writer and lecturer on Java programming/software engineering, and he does not appear to have a valid email anymore.

I am curious as to why you need it?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Interplay don't own anything to do with Dungeon Master other than distribution rights - if any.

Software Heaven - Wayne's parent company to FTL Games - may not be trading, but it still exists and owns all the trademarks and copyrights to Dungeon Master, CSB, etc.
To be honest, I doubt that Wayne gets hardly any emails about DM these days. The only people who'd be inclined to do that are real hardcore fans, and how many of them would bother? We're probably talking about a handful a month at best, not the hundreds that you appear to be suggesting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

To be honest, I've found a LOT of fans over the web trying to find and talk to Wayne. There is more than just this DM BBS that talks about DM. I've found it a lot in programming circles and as well in a lot of other chat boards. The fan base is a lot larger than you think. Also as more people seem to discover these sites that number of people wishing to talk to Mr.Holder grows as does his fan base since a lot of these people find again that treasure we call DM and share it with friends that never heard of it.

do searches on the net for dungeon master in various search engines and you will see I'm right. This and Ian's board right now are the better of them all but still the fan base is peppered throughout the net. I was stunned to have found this out myself as I thought it was a dead game.
As for the rights, last I heard, someone I know was told to request the rights from Interplay as they currently held them. I thought that was strange as well, but I've not heard anything about it since.

So how is it you know so much about this? Just curious. do you know anyone involved?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I've always been a big fan of DM, and have 'kept my hand in' regarding DM stuff over the years.

The Interplay thing is my best guess. They were just the distributors of the game, so there's no reason why they should hold any other rights to DM. Software Heaven was an independent company, and as far as I know wasn't bought by Interplay, so SH (and by virute, Wayne Holder) would still own all the original rights to the games. This includes the trademark of "Dungeon Master", the logo, and all other copyrighted materials.

This would be supported by the fact that FTL worked with various companies during the development of the DM conversions. If Interplay owned the rights to DM, then their company info would be all over the boxes for spin-offs such as Nexus and Theron's Quest.

It's possible to find information on the web regarding Software Heaven and FTL. It's not easy to find, but with a little lateral thinking, I managed to. Good luck!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well, I found this.. heh

Wayne Holder entered the computer revolution by building his own small computer from one of Intel's first microprocessors, the 4040 and went on to personally write the first spelling checker for Microsoft Word (later licensed to Microsoft.) When the Java revolution hit in late 95, Wayne realized that Java would change the face of software as fundamentally as Intel's first micro and started researching, writing and lecturing on Java. Wayne was a featured speaker at Sun's annual JavaOne conference in 97 and has coauthoredJava Game Programming for Dummies with Doug Bell.

It doesn't take very long I got that on the first try.
It seems an updated email is there too.. should I ring the bell? :)
Drake
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Why not try it and see. I would be interested to know if you manage to get a response. Cheers for now.