Help, I need a mouse!

This is an archive of posts from the Unofficial Dungeon Master website, run by Daniel Durgan. It was the first DM web site and disappeared from the web in 2000. This archive is for reference only.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
+Mandy Rodrigues

Help, I need a mouse!

Post by +Mandy Rodrigues »

I have just been given an old 3.5" disk of the original DM for the PC. I am delighted to have this as I used to play DM on the Amiga and Atari ST. Only problem is that after installation when I try to play and I get the options of language, sound etc I am told that the mouse option is not available. Of course I have a mouse but how to get the progette to believe me? I tried to move around in kayboard mode and it is 'orrible. Please can someone help me?
greylord77
Novice

Post by greylord77 »

Hi, you need a DOS mouse driver. Go to www.interplay.com and look under troubleshooting for Dungeon Master 2, and there will be a DOS mouse driver available for download. Make a folder on your hard drive called Mouse(C:\Mouse) and unzip the contents of the zip file from interplay into it. Then click on start button click Run and type sysedit. In the Autoexec.bat file type C:\Mouse\mouse.com. Save it and reset the computer. Reply if you have any problems.
+alucard

Post by +alucard »

Mandy, the easiest way to get mouse support for DM is as follows. Don't worry about running it through DOS, just use windows. Firstly: right click on DM icon go to properties Click on program tab Now click on advanced tab Now hit the button at the top that says: Prevent MSDOS program from detecting windows.

Now you should be able to run DM under windows with sound and mouse support enabled. :)
+Jerry

Post by +Jerry »

I'm having a similar problem with my compaq notebook...I can't disable the mouse pad in dos to use my serial mouse. So I tried doing what you said and play from windows. Everything is fine except I get no sound. Hope someone can help.
+Mandy Rodrigues

Post by +Mandy Rodrigues »

Thanks guys for all your help. I now have my mouse up and running and, believe it or not, am now feasting on rat drumsticks just outside the rat generation room on level 9. I did, of course play the Amiga version yonks ago. The really sad thing is that I haven't got lost yet!! I should really get a life. Anyone know of any maps to download for the lower dungeons?
greylord77
Novice

Post by greylord77 »

DM is meant to be played in DOS!