just killed lordchaos (again) and sound ripper question

This is an archive of posts from the Unofficial Dungeon Master website, run by Daniel Durgan. It was the first DM web site and disappeared from the web in 2000. This archive is for reference only.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
+Glyn

just killed lordchaos (again) and sound ripper question

Post by +Glyn »

Can't help myself, after 13 years (not 15 - re Gambit) zapped (or should i say 'fused') lordchaos on the pc version of dm. Got to say that there may be plenty of great games with fancy graphics and sound (quake etc) but nothing spooks me out like dm. Question: can anybody recommend a sound ripper prog to get the sounds from dm (thanks to Gambit for the screen capture prog). Also it seems impossible to get a dos driver for SoundBlaster live sound card on PC. I ended up using an old 486 with an old soundblaster card which worked fine, but if anybody knows if it is posssible to get soundblaster live card to handle dos sound I'd like to know. Thanks in advance. Glyn.
+butztecci

Post by +butztecci »

i have the same soundcard and the same problem. the main problem is that soundblaster-live needs a memory-management to be run in sb16-emulationmode and this lowers the dos-memory which makes it impossible to play DM. a good solution might be if you have an on-board soundchip(like most mainboards have) and put it on again in bios.but be shure to load a dos-driver and dont start windows with the soundchip enabled.that might crash your whole configuration.good luck!
+Isamu

Post by +Isamu »

butztecci, I have an on board 16 meg sound card. I can't get any sound outta the PC version either. How do I enable a dos-driver like what you were reffering to? Also, can I expect to get any sound out the Amiga version with an on board sound card? Does WinUAE make games run better in Windows with sound?
+butztecci

Post by +butztecci »

Hi!first thing:if you have the amiga-adfs for DM and CSB try them for winuae because the amiga sound is much better than the dos sound in anyway.the dos sound is mono!amiga is stereo! the thing with the dos-driver for your soundchip is a bit complicated.you should have a disk or cd which includes all the drivers for your mainboard.you have to search for a dos-driver on this disk and install it.this will edit your autoexec and config datas.but the best way is to make a boot-disk with the exact cofiguration that is needed to play DM.if you have any more questions about this give me a mail and i explain it to you.i can also mail you a good program to make such a boot-disk.
stay tuned!