DM memories

This is an archive of posts from the Unofficial Dungeon Master website, run by Daniel Durgan. It was the first DM web site and disappeared from the web in 2000. This archive is for reference only.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
+Dirk

DM memories

Post by +Dirk »

Hi guys,
it's a pleasure to see so many people enjoying Dungeon Master.
I played my first Version on an Atari ST in 1988/89 and I must say, that this is one of my favorite all time classic games! I played it on these Platforms
ST (DM, CSB) Amiga (DM - there is said that Version 3.60 has some improved graphics and new sound but I didn't notice any difference), CSB) PC (DM, DM2) X68000 - I didn't get it to work... :-( NES - Never found this Version...
I get most fun playing the amiga version, because it is easier to start WinUAE than going to DOS-Mode and has better sound.
In 1989 I started a team of 4 characters (Hulk, Hissssa, Elija, Chani)on the ST and trained them to MON Master Wizard, just to see if there is something after Archmaster (using some items which improve your stats). This took me more than half a year running from the screamer room (worm level), killing some worms, killing those 4 green beasts below (in the floor down to the riddle room, usually they regenerated after a visit to the worms upstairs), killing the skeletons and those yellow beholder things, ..., killing some rats in the rat level, and then going up to the screamer room and starting all over again. Sometimes I went up to those blue guys and wiped them out, too :-). At the end Hulk and Hisssa had over 800 Health and the whole party could take a couple of MON-FUL-IRs (these things get bigger with increasing wizard level). My biggest hit was much over 300 with the inquisitor on a poor screamer. I had a giant pile of screamer slices lying near the screamer room (I gathered all slices and threw them around to train ninja). It took my old ST some seconds to draw the pile and casionally the game engine removed some slices from the pile.
I never got down to lord chaos in this time , because I didn't know how to kill him. I tried it with usual weapons forsome hours but it didn't work (it was a good training, though!). A year later I read a walkthrough in a game magazine and finished the job. I was somewhat disapointed - that's all? I trained my party to the limit and chaos was beaten in seconds!!!
Good luck that I was in school these days and had much time playing DM... :-)
Once I've completed the game with one charcter (Chani). This is somewhat more challenging.
Happy fighting!
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

I completed the game with just Chani
+Chaos

Post by +Chaos »

I found Chani was my fave character. I did the same as you, not kowing that fluxing and fusing the bastard was all I had to do, but it payed off with Chaos Strikes Back came out :)I beat the game in a week