please help me with 'the vault'

This is an archive of posts from the Unofficial Dungeon Master website, run by Daniel Durgan. It was the first DM web site and disappeared from the web in 2000. This archive is for reference only.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
+Fistandantilus

please help me with 'the vault'

Post by +Fistandantilus »

I'm not that far into the game, I know, but I'm already stuck on 'The Vault'. It is one of the doors in the area where you 'choose your door, choose your fate' along with 'chambers of the guardian', 'the matrix', 'room of the gem', and some others. I'm stuck in 'the vault' where you reach a place with a hole in the floor and a door just past the hole, and on the wall it says something like 'cast your influence cast your might' or something to that effect. If you know what I am talking about, please respond. I'd really like to know how to get across the hole to the door.

Also: I made the mistake in choosing the character 'Sonja' (I resurrected my characters) and she only has 2 Magic Points, and dies VERY often (only has 78 Hit Points too). My other characters have sufficient magical abilities (craftsman wizard and craftsman priest) and two characters are good ninjas, the other is a good fighter. I constantly run into problems with the worms I am encountering, and usually sonja ends up dying, causing me to take her corpse up a level to be resurrected.... (ugh thats annoying) -- any suggestions? I don't want to restart....hope it doesn't come to that.
thanks for all the help I can get!!
+Fistandantilus

I almost forgot to compliment you on your excellent site! The list of spells and items was incredibly helpful. And to think I was trying to get through Dungeon Master without even knowing about the fireball spell!
Thanks a million! --Fistandantilus
+DAHstra

Post by +DAHstra »

Hmmm, you could put Sonia at the end of your team so she will likely be hurt less, or forget her the next time she dies. :)
Cast a door opening spell as your might. :)
Jamison
http://dahstra.atari.org
+LC

Post by +LC »

Sonja kicks ass! She's one of the best fighters in the game. Just give a magic wand or a staff or something and practice the lowest level spell you can (I think it's Lo Ya, and you need a flask). That way her magic points'll go up and she'll be good. Try putting some armor on too and don't be afraid to run away from people.
+GG

Post by +GG »

>Cast a door opening spell as your might. :)
as your influence...
(read the scroll in the chest in the corner of the cenral room)
+Fistandantilus

Well, heh, I seem to have dropped that scroll in the chest you mentioned....what am I to do? I apologize for this, but with all the problems I seem to be having (even with two artisan wizards and an artisan fighter and ninja) I think I'm going to restart. My characters are starving to death, and I haven't found any food or screamer trees....does anyone have any better suggestions? Am I the only one that faces starvation every time I play? Or is there a food stash I missed, or way to create food with magic? By the way, I just got stuck at the riddle room, hehe.
Anyway, if I must restart, which characters should I use (I would much rather ressurect than reincarnate), or which ones are the most well rounded?
Again, I thank everyone for all the help, and I apologize for my asking about all of my problems.
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

Yes, there is a food cache you missed. At the end of the worm level there is a room where screamers regenerate.
Remember the gate before the door you had to bash to get through (and "This is my prisoner..."), behind the gate is irrequlary shaped room where you will find couple screamers everytime you come back.
Another such room is later in the game at rat level...
As characters, I tend to reincarnate them every time. I use these: Hissssa, Daroou (or something like that... the furry one), Tiggy and Boris.
+GG

Post by +GG »

Halk, Sonja, Zed, Linflas
When I played the DM for the very first time, "I" starved on the sixth floor.
+Toufman

Post by +Toufman »

Hi,
If you need some help with the riddle room, find a previous message called "I need some wise one to help me". Some questions are answered there.
Some levels in DM contains little food so you need to save food in chests all over the dungeon to avoid starving. The food management is a big part of the game !
As for the characters, they are all good. It depends on your way of playing with them. You will find that some characters suit you better or have some advantages on others...
My favourite team is composed of Hisssa, Sonja, Leif and Stamm (a good team of reincarnated brutes !) but I think it's possible to reach the end with all characters (as soon as you better know the dungeon)
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

I usually use
-Daroou -Leyla -Mophus -Chani
There you have a variety of skills and it is easy to build on them (try putting the 'Moonstone' of Chani on Leyla and casting some spells...)
+ANovice

Post by +ANovice »

If you have characters with low Mana the simplist was to raise it is to find some Screamers and continually War Cry at them. While this takes time you can get levels for any class this way - a perfect way to get Mana or those low Mana fighters. And to open the door its Level then Zo (6).
P.S. If you think food is scarce on DM just wait till you play CSB...