Loose ends etc

This is an archive of posts from the Unofficial Dungeon Master website, run by Daniel Durgan. It was the first DM web site and disappeared from the web in 2000. This archive is for reference only.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Ian Clark
Um Master

Loose ends etc

Post by Ian Clark »

Can someone help me with these?
- What exactly is 'Put the Gem back'? (red herring?)
- In DMute, I have tried placing monsters like knights and demons on the upper levels, they are not there, even if there are not too many monsters etc. I just find armour etc.
- In DMute, what are the monsters Good and Evil. I have tried placing them, Good just stands there and Evil walks around throwing fireballs. What are they and why aren't they in the original?
- How do you get fireball holes to fire des ew spells?
- How can you create puzzles like the Riddle Room?
- How do I create puzzles like CSB The Laughing Pit.
+Halk Wonderbarbarian

Post by +Halk Wonderbarbarian »

Hi just thought i'd have a go at answering your questions.
1> Yes i think its a red herring, not 100% sure though.
2> I've got knights on level 2, dragons dont seem to work though. Sorry, i dont know why.
3> Presumably they're supposed to be the two halves of old Lord Librasulus or whatever he was called. The graphics appear briefly when you kill chaos don't they? i can't remember, i havent done that for a while.
4> Hmm, not sure about this one either. You probably can, although i havent ever tried.
5> Dont know really, look at the original Dungeon.dat, see if you can work it out.
6> Not sure about this one either.
Hope i've been of some help.
+Yag Alone

the laughing pit and IMPORTANT ADVISE!

Post by +Yag Alone »

It's fairly simple: create a 3*1 room, totally isolated from the rest of the dungeon, put 3 presure pads triggered by monsters in this room. set the outer one to open the pit and the inner one to close it (see below). * * ***** * *+-+*O* ***** * * * with : + : pressure pad, open pit - : " " , close pit O : pit * : walls
Throw in the room a fast nasty (a giggler, for example), and have fun! As the poor giggler will move randomly and aimlessly in his cell, he will open and close the pit randomly... Of course, it explain why the CSB laughing pit could be freezed!
BTW : I advise every Dungeon Kreators to do them for the atari version. Why? well, if you do it for the ST, ST users -of course!- and PC users (w/ emulators) will be able to play it. If you do it for the PC version, only PC men will be allowed to test it... Well, I know, you'll say taht there aren't much ST users out there, but I'm one of them, and even if it only represent 10% of the DM addicts, those 10% are far enough to make a feeble effort!
Good day!
Ze Buzy Bee: http://altern.org/yagalone/buzybee/buzybee.htm
+Halk Wonderbarbarian

Post by +Halk Wonderbarbarian »

Wow, are you really still using an ST? thats pretty cool. I was always more into amiga's, but i've got to admit the old 16 bits seemed to have a lot more character than PC's these days. Apparantly in the future they're going to release some kind of new amiga computer ( theres loads of amiga people left out there, Amiga Format magazine still sells well, according to newsagents) and i can't wait 'till theres a new amiga machine released, prferably some wicked powerfull bastard machine that'll make people realise what computer games hould be about again. DM was one of those games that just couldn't be created under current videogame development methods; its to obvious that a lot of thought went into it. If only commodore and atari had managed (somehow) to keep up with microsoft and intel, modern computer gamig wouldn't seem the same sterile experience it does at the moment. Anyone agree?
+Yag Alone

Ye good old days...;-)

Post by +Yag Alone »

Yes! I'm STILL using a ST (a good old STe), but I also have a old STf (Tos 1.0!) and a -not so- old Falcon... I love DM because it work on the 3 (and it's almost too fast on my Falcon!) In Europa (Mainly in England, France and Germany), the're still a lot of atari users, 2 companies who are selling their own Atari clones based on 68060, and a third one is comming with PPC...But the question is: for what software :-(
That the trouble for Atamiga's users nowadays! thanks god, we still have a tremendous amount of software that are still interesting (if not, why PC users bothers with emulators?)
Well... After this out of topic (I'm a lamerz!;-) it's time to go back to DM:
I've made a small dungeon with DMute (very small : 2 levels!) to test a few features (shops, cops if you're into burglary, etc...) but it don't work : loading stop after just a couple of seconds. my question is : as i've cleared all the levels after the 2 I used, is this the reason why the program is confused, or is my dungeon a total crap (I said it, i'm lame!)
Tshaw!
+Boar

Amiga lurker

Post by +Boar »

Yes, Halk, there are quite a few Amiga people still around. I still use my Amiga occassionally and still enjoy some games I have on it (anyone remember Hired Guns?). Mostly I use my PC clone these days, but despite the power and acceleration PC's are capable of, the game market is pretty restricted in some ways and less open to innovative ideas. Right now, though, new Amiga development is taking the slow route. The parent company (controlled by Gateway) has said they will not develop new hardware, but leave it to third party developers. Let's hope for the future!
+Francis

Post by +Francis »

If you email me your dungeon, I can have a look & try to figure out what's wrong.