OT chat - Shawshank Redemption

This is an archive of posts from Cowsmanaut's old forums.

Moderator: cowsmanaut

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

OT chat - Shawshank Redemption

Post by beowuuf »

Lol, since you asked for it drake...

Anyone in the UK might have seen the Shawshank Redemption documentary yesterday, and i was totally surprised about 2 things

a) that it had flopped on initial release in the cinema
b) that it was the most hired film afterwards, and that it is consistently in the 7 years sicne the top 5 film of all time (as voted on imdb)

while i've personally put it on my own private top 5 - 10 films of all time on many discussions, i didn't expect it to be as popular in general...is it really?
What do people here think about it? Have you even seen it?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Bloody brilliant film...

Post by Gambit37 »

I've just watched it again on C4 for the first time in a while and have been reminded what an excellent film it really is - as always it makes me blub at key points : when Brooks is released on parole and his inability to cope 'out of the can', when Andy finally escapes, and when Red finds the buried letter and ultimately finds Andy at the end of the film. That last sequence is so great because it's so simple and it's not dwelt on for any length of time.

I haven't watched the documentary yet as I taped it to watch *after* the film. Probably watch that tomorrow night.

Shawshank is one of those films that unless you are completely soul-less will really get to you. It's incredibly powerful, has a simple yet elegantly told story, beautiful cinematography, fine acting and a beautiful score. One of my all time favourite movies.

Glad you bought it up Michael so I could share that! :)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Yes, I did ask for it didn't I..

Yeah, loved the movie.. but up here in canada I haven't seen anything on the making of or what have you..

I think the thing that really got to me is how the guards look on the protagonist changes from level to level in the film. It's like the growing respect for him and then it twists into this desperation. That he goes from nobody to a pain in the butt then to the saviour then to the heart of the establishment so that to remove him would nearly demolish all that was there..

I also pondered at how it really seemed that the roles played were almost reversed. The criminals were more human than the guards. it was quite twisted.

good topic..
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

wow... psycho..

Post by cowsmanaut »

Sure enough, after writing that post I went out to relax in front of the boobtube as the lady of the house took over the net.. and what was on?? Oh my GOD! It's kinda creepy.. I turn it on and there it is the movie staring right back at me..

must be some kinda world wide sorta thing. They decided to play it this week or whatever..

anyway.. just thought I'd share my weird coincidence..
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Powerful is definitely the word to describe the film. You can't help but go through what Red must be going through that last night before Andy escapes, and wonder how you'd react in that situation...making it just so inspiring.

The ending is played and shot to perfection..I would have felt cheated if it had cut away from the bus to end the film on (original idea).

Well, glad everyone else agrees : )
Anyone reading this who hasn't seen it, go rent it!