Characters

This is an archive of posts from Cowsmanaut's old forums.

Moderator: cowsmanaut

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Characters

Post by cowsmanaut »

Sonja is up now.. she is obviously not complete but she will be I may make the image a little larger since it's the smallest of the whole lot so far..

Either way it's something to see..
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

yay!

Post by cowsmanaut »

well I took Sonja a bit further today she's got boots and a sword now some little details were smoothed out now all she needs is some more shading and a background element of some kind.. oh and a Bio..

it's been a bit of a delay these usually don't take this long but I just found out one of the game companies in my area are hiring again so I've been doing a bunch of 3D stuff. I should have her completed later today though...
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Sonja is complete.. I caved in and decided to complete her.

Enjoy
+Kyzra

Post by +Kyzra »

looks cool. awsome job
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Powerful story, great demon effect : )

So, with these back stories are you starting to build up a mythology you're going to use in any of your own RTC games?. I notice nothing is resolved with Tarn...which means he still be around...and in only a few lines a guy you'd already want her to meet again somewhere along the way...
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

there you go.. ya had to go on an open up annother rabbit hole(think Alice in wonderland, if you missed the reffrence)

yeah, I suppose something could be done to bring him back around. It's all just a matter of how and when. I hadn't really set out to make my own RTC dungeon myself. I have ideas and all that for sure.. even schematics for puzzles and such. however it's not something I would want to do on my own.

As for placing Tarn into the mix I'm sure there could be possibilities in the game but there will be a great limit to how he could be put in there and how you could effect story. To tell the honest truth I think Alandale is more inclined to make such changes to the engien as to let bits of story come out depending on who is in your party etc. This would obviously make it a different game depending on who you chose to bring with you..

Anyway, a different possibility is a set of short stories like books based on the characters lives one set for each set of champions to travel together before their demise. The could be layed out with images for certain scenes like in 'the tale' section at the 'wizards tower'..

at any rate.. if you would like to help with something like that..
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

I just got up to get a drink and now you got me thinking!

Imagine expanding the entire stories to contain a whole peice from the point in their lives before they were someone up until the moment of their death.. how far did they make it.. this happened when they were younger.. tell me more about it.. etc etc etc.

There are always more questions. No one suffered from a little reading.. plus with a picture in there every now and again.. well.. hell
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, sounds like an idea! And since I started it with my comments, then only fair I should help with whatever : )

Conversely, I do have alot of ideas for my RTC game, for the general ethos, layout ideas, key areas and people, but obviously most of the specific puzzles (I want to overload in puzzles and areas so that there is definite replay value and choice in playing) are only going to get done when I'm designing and things are firmed out. So if you ever wanted to contribute a few of the ideas you have, I'd be very happy : )
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

never get a guy like me thinking..

Post by cowsmanaut »

it could be dangerous!:)

YEah! and then we could make T-Shirts with one of the characters on them and you could choose who you wanted to wear and then we could have playing cards and like ... heh just kidding..

yeah, there are some general limitations that makes my imagination droop and I've no idea how address them. So with a mind for making a game/dungeon I find there are some limits I may not be willing to work around. I think that all in all DMJ is the most diverse but there are several things that were added that would need to be disabled. With the RTC engine the rules and what not work great and it's suitable in most ways but unless the ability to do two things were added I think it would fall short of my expectations.

1. event triggers which allow the display of pictures andimation sound and text. this allows a story element.

2. I've asked untill I was red in the face for these but George it seems will have nothing to do with them... Alphachannels. smoke, glowing things, anything with variable levels of transperancy needs this. Support for it is there already with DirectX but since RTC is fairly slow running (Idn't think it's all that bad actually)with out an optimising genious helping George I don't think he'll ever add it in.

For mini web books.. that is do-able. easy enough BUT I won't be able to focus on something like that untill I'm done with this animation. It's got dual purpose.. it's liable to get me a job as well as be something cool to look at for those of you who are interested.

anyway....
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I thought RTC did use the alpha channels thing for the darkness effect and transparent objects. Or do you mean the fact that it only supports access to one channel to display at 50%?(you may notice I have no clue about this really : ) )

If it is just the additional bit checking per bitmap to check even a 2 or 3 bit number rather than the 1 bit now, then maybe he'd accept using the current bit check to check only for transparent or not, and if transparent then it reads the next 2 or 3 or more bit number for transparency levels, so there is more bit checking but only in a small amount of bitmaps

As for what RTC might be cabaple of vs dungeon ideas....I just go with the ideas anyway and cross my fingers that they'll be included by the time I'm designing! For example, I would love to have death knights that actually have an aura of 'fear'....getting in sight distance inflicts 1 health damage to the party, closer 2 and being toe to toe does 3 so that suddenly you have a creature that even one of becomes a challenge, that really will strike fear seeing because you start taking damage and have to instantly come up with a strategy...things like that need very flexible spell effects able to be coded...so have to see
Just flight of fancy there...aaanyway...
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Daroou is up now which means the charactre voteing booth will be reset and someone will take his slot. let's see who's next..
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

put up a preview of Iaido.. I'll probably do previews of the others in the vote list so you can make a more educated vote.

I still need some more bios I don't mind writing them but it's easier to just edit (if needed) one someone has done for me..

Beowulf? George? Alan? Kyzra? Anyone?? Any takers?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I like the mummy effects...hmm, they would have been better in DM2 than those cartoony ones...and much cooler death look..the bandages unravelling and spirit fleeing...

As for Iaido... don't you wish you could do that move in DM : )

Bios, yeah, np - tell me any characters you actually want to draw, or alternately any characters bios you want to do yourself, and I can work from that and see if any inspiration hits. I'm trying to figure out Hawk atm, as he seems quite cool, and I'm playign with him in RTC
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It's a bit of an odd direction, but hey...you don't have to use it : )
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

It's not exactly which I really want to draw so much as which ones you want to write for or want to see.

Sometimes I'm missing inspiration for an image and thus the bio ideas will give me one. I mean, remember that all I'm working with is 16x16 8 colour images to go on. They don't exactly show much personality.

anyway, I agree with you on the cartoony aspect of DM2 mummies. An that move with Iaido.. well .. lets just pretend thats what he does when you press kick. (wink)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I mailed it off, but replied to the first one i came across, which was an "at home" one...I'll work on Hawk next...

So there you go, 2 more down if they are good
*'m surprised no one else has ideas for these guys...
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Yeah I got the one you sent
be carefull of my home email and don't give it out only a couple of people have it from here but spammers are just waiting to get a hold of it.

anyway, I like the Iaido one for the most part.. just a few small changes. Treacherous ninjas for one.. Having sampled that art for a while I know there is a lot more than has been written about them. The truth is they have a code of honour, just not the same. The ninja were often more like the rebels while samurai were the law. however Samurai for all their honour did some pretty nasty things to villagers and it was often the ninja who were hired to take care of those bad eggs. That aside... it's got a depth to it I didn't expect. It also made me think about the fact that he may indeed be the first to have entered the dungeon since his pic is first.. (shrug)