DMute V1.4?

Use this forum to discuss dungeon editors and other tools, like DMute (by George Gilbert, also working for RTC dungeons), DM Builder (by Sphenx), and ADGE by `rain. Includes DM editing tips and tricks.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

DMute V1.4?

Post by George Gilbert »

Would anyone be interested in a minor update to DMute whereby it exported a dungeon into something close to an RTC format?

I say "something close" as there would need to be a manual step to get the triggers and stuff working, but I could easily knock something up to export the headers, dugeon layout and all the objects in the right way.

With a bit of work this would allow the various existing dungeons to be played in RTC; but do people think this would be a Good Thing (TM)?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Hell yes! A very good idea if it's not a lot of work, and it seems sensible as a stop-gap until we can collectively create a new RTC editor. Cool idea!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

well I would promise to offer some simple interface graphics to anyone willing to code it.. if that's what it takes. That is far easier than the step by step process I have been doing with the DM graphics so I imagine I could have some basic interface done easily and quickly..

I just wish someone would get on it.

George if you can cobble something cool together as a map editor for RTC I would be certainly happy. :)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I would like to just add my own "YES!!!!" too
: )

Wow, that would suddenly give RTC another 15-20 dungeons to play around with...pretty cool!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Yessss please!!!
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
copperman
Um Master

DMute 1.4

Post by copperman »

Oh George you are just too good to us,maybe you coulkd release the source for DMute too so ppl can use it as a base for RTCEd
Don't be scene or herd!
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

The only real place to discuss DMute is Ian's Messageboard, but that is not much frequented these days. So:

Can we have a DMute part in this forum too?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There we go - new forum, with a link back to Ian's Dmute forum
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Some questions to the progress of DMute:

Is there any interest in converting RTC to DM/PC as well? Since George already implemented it one-way, why not also go for the other way?

I cannot really define it, but DMute 1.4 seems to be more instable than its predecessor. I encounter more crashes, the graphics for the characters do not work sometimes (in perfectly normal, non-DMBuilt, non-CSBuilt... dungeons). Has someone made similar experiences?

Are there any plans to broaden the possibilities of DMute in "reading" dungeons? Since many -if not almost all- of the dungeons made these days are somehow modified with new tools, DMute can hardly read any of them. And as much as I like the graphical approach by Sphenx, the program is slowing my old computer and DMBuild is text-only and not good for a quick overview.

Regards, PitD
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

It's been nearly a month already, so I'll revive this post as well - are there any news or answers for the questions posed?

Regards, PitD
madeducator
Novice

Re: DMute V1.4?

Post by madeducator »

George Gilbert wrote:Would anyone be interested in a minor update to DMute whereby it exported a dungeon into something close to an RTC format?

I say "something close" as there would need to be a manual step to get the triggers and stuff working, but I could easily knock something up to export the headers, dugeon layout and all the objects in the right way.

With a bit of work this would allow the various existing dungeons to be played in RTC; but do people think this would be a Good Thing (TM)?
Speaking of the above, I was recently trying to get a saved DM dos game to convert into an RCT format. The character fix was easy but I didn't know what do do about these errors:

<<*** CRITICAL ERROR (line 1340, item item_030507-3 - FLOORITEM_TRIGGER): Action "ACTIVATE-OFF" not supported. Expecting NULL, ACTIVATE, DEACTIVATE, TOGGLE, RELEASE or DESTROY.
*** CRITICAL ERROR (line 1342, item item_030507-5 - FLOORITEM_TRIGGER): Action "DEACTIVATE-OFF" not supported. Expecting NULL, ACTIVATE, DEACTIVATE, TOGGLE, RELEASE or DESTROY.
>>
When I tried to remove the "OFF" the whole game glitched and wouldn't compile.

I'd love it if anyone could tell me how to get the dos DM to work in RTC.

beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

DMute is designed, i believe, to convert the dungeon.dat file to a .rtc file only (for the moment). The dmsave.dat has alot of 'junk' information about the party and events - so you might find that this is interfering with the convertion...i could be wrong and George has build in an ignore function for it

Try the original dungeon file your saved game is based on, and see if that creates the glitches
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I suspect that when you deleted the "-OFF" part, you've introduced spaces between the options instead of tabs. Double check this, it could be this simple.
madeducator
Novice

Post by madeducator »

beowuuf wrote:DMute is designed, i believe, to convert the dungeon.dat file to a .rtc file only (for the moment). The dmsave.dat has alot of 'junk' information about the party and events - so you might find that this is interfering with the convertion...i could be wrong and George has build in an ignore function for it

Try the original dungeon file your saved game is based on, and see if that creates the glitches
Also Gambit suggests: <<I suspect that when you deleted the "-OFF" part, you've introduced spaces between the options instead of tabs. Double check this, it could be this simple.>>

Thanks for the suggestions. :) I did use the original dungeon.dat, and I checked for spaces (there were none), they were tabs. :(

My only option at this point, or so I see it, is to get the character stats etc, and maybe start with the dungeon they're saved at as the first dungeon of a new game. Or not. I'm muddling through it all, and slowly getting better at finding errors and such.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Perhaps a way to go would be to assign the transformation of existing dungeons to several people, so that each could correct the errors of one dungeon, and the results should be made available as downloads (encyclopedia ?).

This does not include fixing non-directed actuators or other "internal dungeon problems", mainly changing the txt file until a clean compile can be made in RTC. I'll gladly volunteer for one dungeon if the results of the others (including the txt files) will be accessible to everybody afterwards.

Regards, PitD
madeducator
Novice

Post by madeducator »

PicturesInTheDark wrote:Perhaps a way to go would be to assign the transformation of existing dungeons to several people, so that each could correct the errors of one dungeon, and the results should be made available as downloads (encyclopedia ?).

This does not include fixing non-directed actuators or other "internal dungeon problems", mainly changing the txt file until a clean compile can be made in RTC. I'll gladly volunteer for one dungeon if the results of the others (including the txt files) will be accessible to everybody afterwards.

Regards, PitD
Thank you very much for the offer.

At the moment, however, I'm swamped with schoolwork (which should keep my brain trapped until early August) and I'm going to have to put dungeon creation on a backburner.

Thank you all for your help. :)
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

You can remind me if your school work allows more breaks.

Regards, PitD

Return to “Editors and Tools (DMute, DM Builder, ADGE, etc.)”