Favorite/most difficult puzzles

Discuss anything about the original Dungeon Master on any of the original platforms (Amiga, Atari, etc.).
This forum may contain spoilers.

Moderator: Ameena

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Seeker19
Apprentice

Favorite/most difficult puzzles

Post by Seeker19 »

I was sure that I'd seen this as an earlier topic, but I couldn't find it in any of the places that made sense to me. If it did exist elsewhere, I apologize for the duplication...

Which puzzles in DM gave you the most trouble, when you first played it? Which were your favorites?

For me, I remember having the most incredible difficulty figuring out the first room on the skeleton/beholder level - not the Riddle Room (that was easy), but the room with the floor plate, the pit, the switch and the teleport field. I knew I could get in there, but I spent probably more than a day of game time trying everything I could think of: stripping off all the equipment to weigh down the floor plate, throwing objects, running as fast as I could (for the longest time I thought that you had to slip in under the portcullis as it was closing; I just needed to be a little bit faster...) and so forth. The rest of that time I wandered through the five previous levels, trying to see if I could find another iron key somewhere to get into the rest of the level.

This was back in 1986; there was a huge ST community posting e-mail messages from all over the world about DM. Eventually I gave up and looked through the logs to see if anyone else had had this problem...when I finally read how to do the puzzle, I felt like a complete idiot. <sigh>

Not really a puzzle, but...I remember the first timeI found a hidden/passable wall. It was on the worm level, and I was chasing a worm down the hall away from the screamer room (the worms would often run when you hit them with thrown objects). Suddenly, the worm disappeared! "What?" I was amazed. "Where did it go?" I had half convinced myself that I had killed the worm when I realized that my last throwing star had vanished as well. Well, I jumped into that wall and got a big surprise from the worm waiting for me. Well, a couple of chops and vi bros later, and my party spent the rest of their time in the dungeon cracking their noses on every wall...I have a friend who had to stop playing DM because he would jerk every time his party ran into a wall. It was too tough on his back.

Seeker19
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I think the two that always got me were both in "treasure stores" was the room full of teleporters, I spent ages going back to the beginning of that room, still havent quite got the hang of it now. And teh room full of pits, I could always get to one side, but never the other.

:)

They were the most frustrating that I remember.
Regards,

Andy
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Yeah the teleporter room always bugged me as well. What I did not discover for a long time were the various monster generators and since I'm basically the careful player type I often spent long times going forward, fighting the monsters while retreating step by step, going forward again only to find a new monster... and so on. (Worm level, Spiders on the knight level and so on). That was in the old days before I started thinking and discovered DMute - that little jewel explained quite a lot ;o)

Regards, PitD
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Well, the solution to the teleporters on Level 5 is in my book, so I have no problems there. However, the solution it gives to the pits is wrong (though I don't remember having much of a problem on the Atari), so I have to spend a while figuring out how to get from the first room across to the second room.
But I can't remember if there ever used to be any puzzles that really bugged me. Remember I was about five or six at the time...I can remember having some fun with the assorted puzzles on Level 3 ("Hit and Run", for example), but never really found anything particularly HARD that I can remember...
In CSB I can remember helping my dad with Supplies for the Quick - he'd maneouver with the arrow keys, and I'd have my hand on the mouse ready to grab something. Sinec we've downloaded RTC, I can do this bit easily enough myself, but I believe I still ended up helping Dad with it in the same way as before, lol :)
Seeker19
Apprentice

Post by Seeker19 »

Lunever, I find it absolutely hilarious that I couldn't find my own post from 2000! :lol:

Thanks,

Seeker19
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

NP, Seeker. Just go to the memberlist, choose a member and select "show all posts of XXX" :-)
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

What did you want to point out with the links above, lunever? Just linking to your previous answers or some hidden connection there? *confusion*

Regards, PitD
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

PitD: No. Seeker complained that he didn't find his own post anymore, and I pointed out that it is very easy to do so by using the options of the memberlist.

Post by Guest »

Thanks; I know how to look for posts by a particular user. This bulletin board software is pretty robust.

What I find funny is that I didn't know that one of the previous versions of this topic WAS posted by me, back in 2000. Thanks again, Lunever, for pointing it out: I had a big laugh.

Seeker19
Seeker19
Apprentice

Post by Seeker19 »

...and what's more, the software is smart enough to log a person off when they aren't active for a while!

Now, if only this user was smart enough to check that before clicking "submit"...

:lol: :lol: :oops:

Seeker19
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Sometimes those buggers outsmart us... getting too used to something normally results in seemingly "stupid" errors just because you overlooked something obvious - otherwise 80% of support personnel would not be needed :wink:

Regards, PitD