Best part of playing CSB (don't read if not played

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Seeker19
Apprentice

Best part of playing CSB (don't read if not played

Post by Seeker19 »

What was your favorite part of CSB?

I simply love the idea of the game's beginning: you go through the Prison, and you have these high-powered characters to choose from. You expect to really be able to whomp some monsters right off, and walk through the dungeon, and then pow! You're in the dark and there are worms all round you, chomping and poisoning you. As you dodge, naked, around the room, you step on that damn plate that keeps generating more worms...oh, it's probably the best beginning to a computer game, ever.

- Seeker19
Ian Clark
Um Master

Re: Best part of playing CSB (don't read if not played

Post by Ian Clark »

I have many, many:

- The corridoor of fire, brilliant puzzle/trap
- Supplies for the quick
- Death Row, and the hours, weeks and days it took me to finally get in there :lol:
- The new-look Knights, Faders, Demons etc while they still keep the classics like Mummies
- Spending weeks performing the fake cheat on each dragon, never succeeding :lol:
- No Fireballs

...that should be enough to be getting along with. <p><font face=arial>Ian

Pulp - Styling the pattern for life!</font></p>

to CSB

Post by Guest »

i just LOVE the part, where you have to fight through a whole level of worms, very funny indeed. or the dragon, where around it many worms are generated. And the riddle with blue ogres at the place where you get the delta, i liked it too (the first time).

but high powered chars?? they cant compete to my DM finishing dudes. the only ones, who are a BIT good are LOR and ITZA, the rest are duds.
ever played CSB with reincarnated chars? i got 900+ stamina on Kazai once this way :wink: they gain levels incredibly fast (CSB has a very high exp gaining value compared to DM, when you only kill the few rock piles and mummies on the starting levels, you should have about craftsman chars).
Francis
Novice

Best part of playing CSB (don't read if not playe

Post by Francis »

What riddle with the blue ogres? (The Delta is one of the items that appears in different places.)

I'm still puzzling over the coded scroll.

How about falling from the top level all the way to "surrender your possessions"?

Or being so stupid as to walk straight into the invisible pit with the falchion and halter beyond it?

And that dragon-filled maze of illusory walls - I still remember getting shocked.
MutatedBlade42
Neophyte

Re: Best part of playing CSB (don't read if not playe

Post by MutatedBlade42 »

Beating two dragons in 3x5 room at the same time with no way out (of course, I could just use square key, but...that would be insane with two dragons breathing down your neck)

It was quite a thrill having two dragons fighting in close quarters.

And a maze of secret doors...with DRAGONS inside it (in other words...it's almost impossible seeing dragons in there.) <p><hr><font face=Verdana color=green><i><font size=2>MutatedBlade42's quote for a while:
<font size=2>Nightsky: Meanwhile the MAD Dr. FrankenSkyien makes his way to the Bulldrek University all along the way singing cheerfully....
"Doom! We're doomed! Doomdoomdedoomdoomdoom. Doom doom DOOM!" </font></p>
Unlucky_Mule
Novice

Re: Best part of playing CSB (don't read if not playe

Post by Unlucky_Mule »

You know, the maze of secret doors with DRAGONS in it is much easier on the Amiga version with both KU and ROS magic map spells enagaged. :wink:

My younger brother used to get so scared when I would play DM, but he loved to watch me play! (The stereo sound on the Amiga version was amazing in its day.) But when I first played CSB, I got really scared! Like someone said... in the dark, naked, with poisonous worms all around. Man, if you suspend your disbeleif and get right into it... quite the experience!

But the best thing about CSB, in my opinion, was the fact that the dungeon seemed to violate the properties of space. You know what I mean, with the three possible starts of each path from the junction of ways and the different ways into the common DDD. I have since learned a bit about the dungeon mechanics that make this happen. Quite cleaver.

On the negative side, the whole Game Disk / Utility Disk boot thing with the Prison and then Make New Adventure was confusing. From a usability point of view, the process could have been made a bit smoother.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

My personal favourite: The Wrath of God! Arrgh! it took me ages to understand what it has been doing!!!
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Positive favourite: Dragon's den, Wrath of god (sorry Lunever, but found it very useful up there!)
Atmosphere favourite: "Prove you're a wizard" (Couatls)
Negative (tricky) favourite: Ros way in DDD - too much spinning for my taste ;)

Regards, PitD
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Hmm...let me see...CSB...well, I had great fun killing the "uber" Dragon at the bottom of Ku, and of course I enjoyed the Dragon maze in Ros, and Dragon Den in the bit of Ku after the DDD. I also like Supplies for the Quick...I can remember when we played CSB on the Atari, I don't think I started a game of it, but Dad did, and when he got to SftQ, he would run rond and I would click the mouse when it was on an item...great fun :)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Still love the little surprises -- those made CSB much more engaging:

* using lockpicks on ROS and ending up in jail
* the surprise giggler who pops out from behind a wall while your fiddling with a keyhole
* the laughing pit
* the vexirk who drops stuff when you corner him
* coming face to face with the dragon hidden in the illusion wall maze and nearly wetting my pants...
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

I never found the lockpicks in RTC's version of CSB, Am I being dumb, or did I just miss them
Regards,

Andy
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

In RTC I got them from a giggler only once, late in the game, when I didn't need them anymore. On another occasion I found them lying in the path of the Wrath of God... so you can imagine what happened to the poor giggler. But I'm not sure whether it should have been able to get there in the first place.
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

There are two of the lock picks in the game. One is possessed by a giggler on 07(05,27) - one of the poor buggers who get teleported in the dangerous areas and then slain.

The other one is hidden in the possessions of Halk Gonzo Barbarian at 09(31,36) - still no idea if that place can be accessed by fair means (I would hazard to guess not), who was obviously for playtesting since he also has got 4 corbums and boots of speed. If it were possible to get there the record would probably be much lower in that case.

Regards, PitD