RTC Global Hall Of Champions

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

RTC Global Hall Of Champions

Post by George Gilbert »

Just a quick note to say that I've put up the Global Hall Of Champtions page on the RTC website:

http://www.ragingmole.com/RTC

The Global Hall Of Champions contains a record of the brave adventurers who have beaten each of the dungeons. Once you have completed a dungeon you will be invited to submit your characters for inclusion in the Hall. If you would like to see them there, please email your completed RTC module file to me (george at ragingmole dot com).
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Does it make any difference to the Hall on what level of difficulty you've played? If not I strongly recommend so (it was no peace of cake playing at Master6; the strength of your characrters does not outweigh the increase of difficulty, for when you begin with a new party at 0-dif. you will not end up that weak that a single fireball from the Dragon or a single Lightning from Chaos will instantly kill your entire fully rested and spell- & fire-shielded party, which did happen to my very powerful party at Master6).
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

There's no explict change to your scores from the level you pley at however it will effect them implicitly.

Broadly speaking, the score gives an indication of each characters success against the dungeon. A positive score shows they've given out more than they've taken, a negative one and the dungeon has taken its toll on the character. Take for example the "earth" score (representing physical scores). When you're playing at a harder level, if you complete the game, on a positive side you'll be inflicting more damage to the dungeon (as the monsters are stronger) but on the negative side they'll be doing more damage to you. So at a high level the positive scores and the negative scores will both be higher than their equivalents when playing at a low level.

So, if you play an "average" game you will get a score of 0 regardless of the level you're playing at. However, if you play very well you'll get a higher score by playing at a higher level (as the number of large positive scores will outweigh the number of large negative ones more than at a low level when low positive scores will outweight low negative ones).
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Ok, one more question: The balance of taking and giving, is it saved in the character or is it reset at each new game: If I have a character with a bad score at my first adventure, will it be possible to have a good score at the next game (scores reset to 0 at it's beginning) or are the previous scores retained in the character so I'd have to "catch up" for the "bad karma" accumulated before?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

It's reset at the start of each game (i.e. when you "enter" the dungeon for the first time or "make new adventure" by importing existing characters into a new game). In other words, the score represents your characters effect on the dungeon you're currently playing.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Hmm, there seems to be another thing that is not accounted for in this score system, but maybe should be: The killing rate, the percentage of killed and surviving monsters. I've always gone to great lengths to really kill every monster possible, even when it meant additional battle or tricky maneuvering to not trigger a generator again after it's monster was killed.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Interestingly enough, a lot of this point system depends on your style of play. If you favor "toe-to-toe" like myself you'll never get ratings as good as when trying to avoid monster attacks. Only fair though on the other hand, since this is the harder variety I presume. Normally I tend to train quite a lot so I can survive direct fights, although I'm using doors and suchlike, of course.

Regards, PitD
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Remember that by training you not only take more time, but also walk further - both of which will have a detrimental effect on your overall score.

I've tried to set the scoring system up to favour a quick, efficient party that kills lots of monsters without taking much damage themselves. Seems fair enough ;-)

Of course,please keep your comments comming - any suggestions for refinements are gladly welcome.
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

Well, problem is, that a player whose goal is to kill everything and gain all treasure isn't rewarded very well in this score system. Ok, to be quick may be one goal and be represented by one of the score traits. But to be COMPLETE should also be somehow POSITIVELY reflected in some other score trait.

Also I still think that it is by far easier to gain a high score at low difficulty, cause the higher potential of dealing out of damage does not match the higher potential of the dungeon taking more toll on the characters; and I think, that a high score system should not reward that player only who walks the path of least resistance. In many good old - very old - action games with different levels of difficulty all scores a a bit multiplied up when you play at those higher difficulty level, and I think, that should be aplied to RTC also.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Although this goes against my style of play as well as yours, Lunever, I think that the system George built in is fair - it is definitely harder to beat a dungeon with less trained characters that work qucik and efficient than going through all the places multifold and collecting treasure. This may be a reward (or compulsion ?! ;)) in itself, but to beat a dungeon efficiently seem better to me.

Although: this will surely never be my style. I prefer caution over sudden death and therefore rather be careful and survive. Maybe there will be a hall of fame for that some day :D

Regards, PitD
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

By the way Lunever, I did not check the Global Hall of Fame yet - did you manage to improve your points for RTC DM/CSB in another attempt? Just curious, since I'm not sure I would like to change my careful style and you seem to have played alike that, too...

Regards, PitD
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

PitD: I'm still waiting for RTC V0.25, before I proceed playing RTC.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Any announcements from Georg when this version might be released?

Regards, PitD
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

No, nothing yet.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Impressive score for CSB in the Global HoC, Lunever! Was that an attempt with high difficulty settings?

Regards, PitD
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

PitD: Yes, it was. But it's some time ago, I don't remember the exact difficulty anymore, I think it was Expert or LoMaster. But I can't check it, because for some unknown reason my machine refuses to run any version of RTC for some monthes now. If I have some time again, I will reinstall my machine anyway, but that probably won't be before winter solstice.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

I think I will give RTC CSB a try during winter... never played it before and I wanted to do that a long time...

Regards, PitD
Lunever
Grand Druid

Post by Lunever »

PitD: You really didn't?! Do so, I just love it (that is, if I get it going again).
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

I'm hooked to CSBwin - but I'm ashamed already I did not try yet. I'm halfway through a DM game with the new spellbook function and want to play CSB with this party afterwards - only a matter of months ;o)

Regards, PitD