RTC Screen Resolutions

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

RTC Screen Resolutions

Post by Gambit37 »

What is the reason for RTC supporting higher screen res than 640x480?

If you set it higher, you still only get a 640x480 game in the middle of the screen.

Does this mean that at some point we'll get a scalable game? :-) How about super high res textures for running at 1280x960 ---- :P :D :D :D
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Erm there isn't a reason - if you supply a valid resolution then it will draw to that resolution.

I guess if there is any reason at all, it's because some (although I don't know which) graphics cards may not support 640x480 and would need a different value....

There are certainly no plans for drawing at an even higher resolution - it's slow enough as it is ;-)
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Heh, I thought not! ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

That's how mine behaves...currently I have it as a 800x600 window on a 1024x768 screen
andyboy_uk
On Master

Post by andyboy_uk »

@George: Ive spotted that you said RTC is slow, Im just curious, what spec of machine is the target for the engine.

I run it on a Twin P3-700 with a GEForce2 MX and it runs like a dream and I consider my setup quite low spec by todays standards.

Just curious to know who is finding it slow?
Regards,

Andy
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I have an 800MHz celeron with 600 odd Mb memory and GeForce2 DDR, and find it occasionally lags for a split second when moving forward rapidly..
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

ever think of rewriting your graphics code? Just noting that we've had games run on 500mhrz machines in full 3D with 32 bit images (that includes alpha channels) at decent frame rates.

www.gamedev.net is a great resource filled with terrific articles and example code.

here are a few I just picked out by name at random that seemed to apply to RTC.
"avoiding redrawing pixels"
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articl ... cle849.asp
"alphablending" (wink wink)
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.a ... ryid=40#29

anyway.. tonnes of stuff there..

Also I'm sure you've seen www.gamasutra.com Annother place with awesome articles.

Not saying you *should* rewrite it.. however if you really wanted to speed things up or decided to take annother crack at it.. those are great resources.

moo
WolfHeart
Apprentice

Post by WolfHeart »

Well my system examples are very lengthy. I have a AMD 2400+ currently that I use but I have a small network I've set up for my family. There is 7 systems on it hehe. I have 3 son's each with there own computers, 2 daughters have one each, and my wife and myself each have one.(Upgrading around here is on the pass-me-down scale 8) ) The systems CPU range from my currently down to a 500mhz with many vidio card differences. I have used RTC on most all of them in testing things out with the exception of the 500mhz (only because the HD on it is crammed full with every MP3 and music video ever made I think) it seems to run great on all the systems at varied speeds. it also does not seem to be a CPU speed that makes it run faster on one over the other either. Some of the slower systems seem to be faster than some of the faster systems when running it. i tried to figure out why but usually get lost. While RTC seems to run faster on a slow system with a different video card another program runs slower?? I would hate to test software all the time to decide what was best setup it seems that different video, CPU, memory, and even sound card variation plays a huge part in game speeds. My oldest son and I seem to be the two most interested in RTC and Dungeon master. He played Dungeon Master from the age of 2 and a half up to now ( he is 17). He spent hours playing it on my 520 ST. when he got to about 4 or 5 we had to restrict his time from playing it so he would go outside and play and be a normal kid. He ate, dreamed, and breathed Dungeon Master. For a couple of the other kids it was leveling there EverQuest characters. As a family we tend to play Online/Lan games like EverQuest(we have 4 accounts :cry: )Unreal Tournement regular, and 2003, NoXX, and now me and the oldest son are building a RTC dungeon while me and the next to the oldest are building a Well of Souls world with some of the Dungeon Master monsters in it.