Making scrolls with DMute

Use this forum to discuss dungeon editors and other tools, like DMute (by George Gilbert, also working for RTC dungeons), DM Builder (by Sphenx), and ADGE by `rain. Includes DM editing tips and tricks.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Toni Y
Adept

Making scrolls with DMute

Post by Toni Y »

I'm having trouble creating scrolls with the Hextut.doc which say anything ELSE except "Put the gem back..." - Well, actually I did manage to get random strings too, but that's only marginally more usefull since I want to put a specific text into the scroll... :wink:
Toni Ylisirniö
Author of Grave of King Millias, Return of Chaos, and DM2 dungeons.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Weird, for some reason this forum didn't come up with an unread notice!

Wall/floor texts directly reference codes for text strings that are in the dungeon/dmsave.dat file
Scrolls are like chests , they need to reference an existing object instead (wall/floor text),
So what you need to do is either a) find a wall/floor text you like and reference it, or b) use textmute (by Zyx) to alter an existing scroll text, or c) use textmute to create a different text you want and assign it to a wall/floor text, then reference that object to a scroll

For example,
a) to put the 'hall of champions' text onto the 'new lives for old bones' scroll in dm.
Looking at the hall of champions wall text hex it says "4 8 A9 2" or "4th text object (category ident 8) with text 'A9 2', which is the value for the 'Hall of champions' text as hardcoded in the dungeon.dat/dmsave.dat file
All you care about is the fact its the fourth wall/floor text around
Open the 'new lives for old bones' scroll hex - it currently says "20 1C 79 4" which means scroll 20 (category 1C), referencing wall/floor text 79, and it's closed (4, open=0 in the fourth byte)
If you change the '79' to '4' then it will reference the 'hall of champions' text instead. You can 'blank' the HoC wall text so it doesn't appear in the game, just don't delete it or else the scroll will not have text!
b) If you edit 'new lives for old bones' in textmute, it should alter the scroll
c) if you edit say 'hall of champions' in textmute to 'here is the key', then the text referece A9 2 will be for this new text
So to have this text on a scroll in a blank dungeon, you create a new wall/floor text. If it had hex "30 8 fe ff" for example, you would insert the A9 2 in, so it became "30 8 A9 2"
You would then go to your scroll, and make sure you changed the 3rd byte to "30" - the scroll would now read this new text
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

Thanks. I already used Textmute to get some new strings to play with. Just couldn't get them to the scroll. But now it works. Thank you. My dungeon is shaping up pretty nicely...

Which brings another question. I understood that I can port this dungeon (PC DM) to CSBWin rather painlessly, right?
Toni Ylisirniö
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yup...
Well, depending on if you have abused the dungeon.dat file with clones or not...but yup : )

Just try opening it directly in CSBuild and it will do all the tricky stuff for you - I would advise clicking the settings to 'expert' for what it allows

Added bonus is that it has many nice features through the DSAs (advanced form of trigger) and also allows you to edit text easily
Bad side is that it isn't then backwardsly compatible with PC DM, so you can either just design it in CSBuild, or you can do as Zyx has and have a PC version and then a new cool and spankier advanced version in CSB4win!
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

Well, I can do everything I currently want within the PC DM format. I just wanted to make the finished version as widely available as possible.

I have one cloned square (an alcove of which there are two copies of, used in a puzzle). What kind of trouble would that create? I could change it into a teleport square for CSBWin, but I'd prefer to have the alcove if at all possible. :)
Toni Ylisirniö
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

A cloned alcove shouldn't create problems...just when you are loading it in CSBuild tick the option 'allow clones' option first in the user preferences : )
I ported my dungeon over, which used alot of clones to boost object count, and I tested it half way through so far without a problem in that regard
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

I had a chance to load it up today, and yes it indeed seems to be alright. Atleast in the editor.
Toni Ylisirniö

Return to “Editors and Tools (DMute, DM Builder, ADGE, etc.)”