Problems with my three old Dungeons

Links to all custom dungeons. Also discussions about custom dungeons: tips and tricks, questions, ideas, etc.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
sucinum
Pal Master

Problems with my three old Dungeons

Post by sucinum »

I just tried to convert Benni's Dungeon II or The Prison of Dragoth. Both created errors which made CSBuild crash, i think i caused them with very bad hex editing.
It will make a lot of work for me to convert them (about 3-4 minutes to kill all orphans in Benni's Dungeon II with a rock on the enter-key) not only for me, but also for someone who fixes those really evil bugs like Paul adds a mechanic to erase those buggy tiles without CSBuild crashing. I fear, this could also cause CSB Win to crash - and maybe it is the cause for some random lockups which could occur when playing those with PC DM.
I'm quite sure that i'm the only one to create this bug, so my question is:
Are the dungeons really worth the effort of fixing them or even of recreating them?
If someone says "I would be _really_ glad if i could play a bugfree and enhanced dungeon of you on CSB Win" i will fix or even rebuild them. If not, Christophe may delete them.
Seeing the non-existant feedback to the new version of Imprisoned Again i expect them to be deleted.
I would not cry after them, after all, they are practice-dungeons which somebody else would not even have released, so you can be honest (not to forget the hours of work).

The Dungeons i am talking about are:
Benni's Dungeon I
Benni's Dungeon II
The Prison of Dragoth
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

Programs are not supposed to crash. CSBuild is a program.

I have downloaded alll three and will look at what is
happening to cause the crashes.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

To help you find it: In both dungeons i spoke of are bad actuators in the first level (and maybe even more).
For example in Bennis Dungeon II (dungeonbeta2.dat) there is one at 0(10/18'). To get rid of it, i tried to delete it. There was no way to do so, so i tried to put an item there and delete it afterwards. As soon as i tried to put an item there, csbuild crashed with: "Fatal Error: GetRecordAddress(nul or eof)" followed by a runtime error.
I still don't know if that is worth fixing, because everyone could edit hexedit anything in a dungeon causing it to crash.
An option "clear bad tile" would of course be ok ;)

But that is just what i wanted to avoid: now you have work wirh my stupid hex-editing-tries :/
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Quick thing - did you try going to options, and say 'allow everything'. In this case CSBuild will allow all your hex editing without comment
It's then a case of thouroughly playtesteing to ensure none of the allowed options kill the engine
I did this to mine and suffered no ill effects because of the hex (yet, only got as far as level 9 playtesting it again).

Also, don't delete single cloned tiles lightly (not sure if this was what you were doing - hex edited tiles ok, cloned tiles bad)
If you delete one clones tile, you will still have all the other instances pointign to somehting that doesn't exist - you need to 'delete' ALL the instances so you have no tiles left referencing the linked list. IN Dmute you could cheat a blanked tile. In CSBuild you will need to delete all the tiles, then recreate the single tile where you want it, i believe

As for your old dungeons - i enjoyed playing them, so be a shame to lose them, but with your new one available in both, i i don't think it's worth more hassle to create them as CSBwin dungeons other than trying the 'allow all' otpion though - otherwise people can have fun with them under old DM
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I started with DungeonBennis.

Repair all orphans (5 minutes)
Repair cloned list.
Repair teleporter at 6(34,06)
Add object to 8(34,09) caused CSBuild crash. Repaired.
Fix all objecxts and cells.
Fix all text.
Add legal floor decorations. (5 minutes)

So. Except for fixing CSBuild, it took about 10 minutes
to get rid of all the errors. There are still some warnings
but only you know what was intended.

I posted new CSBuild in CSB17Levels.rar and I posted
the deungeon in DungeonBennis.zip.

Now I will look at the other two dungeons.
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

I cleaned up your other two dungeons. It took about
10 minutes each. I had to modify CSBuild to repair two
of the clones. The new CSBuild and your dungeons are
posted as

Dungeon.zip
dungeonBETA2.zip
CSB17Levels.rar

Dungeon.dat has a lot of pits that lead to nowhere so
I left them for you to figure out.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

Impressive :shock:
Now it's my part to overwork them.
Sorry for wasting you 15 minutes at watching orphans to be repaired. I really hope you used the rock-on-enter-key-method ;)
Paul Stevens
CSBwin Guru

Post by Paul Stevens »

used the rock-on-enter-key-method
Nope. Pressed the return key individually for each one.
It ain't that bad. A commercial sequence on TV lasts that long
and I manage to tolerate them. I don't have to like it, though.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

ok - i just worked for 3 hours on the prison. this was so buggy, no wonder, why never anybondy played it :shock:
should be much better now ;)
the two remaining dungeons are even older, so i fear the worst...
but even if noone plays them - it's a good feeling to have my dungeons bugfree, even if it's 3 years after release.