unlimited money

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Slysar

unlimited money

Post by Slysar »

Help police! The thief took my weapons again!
Unfortunately there are no police to help you. So in taking matters into my own hands, I undertook a method to control this pesky little thief. Yea guard minions. I found where he spawned from and surrounded him with guard minions galore.
"there that should hold him for a while!", I said.
And it did. But there was an unexpected and quite welcome side-effect to it. All his money (gold coins) and daggers were in massive heaping piles. Of course you might chose to disregard his daggers but all those gold coins fit neatly into a money box which I exchanged for many blue gems.
Being your own police officer can have better than 401K plan benefits!
-Slysar the troll
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

strange - i remeber getting 1 or 2 cold coins from these dudes.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No, they have the daggers aswell...and since the guys regenerate, and if you have a camped guard minion...
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

too long ago maybe...but if they have daggers, why can't they slay the guard minions? and why are they regenerated constantly at all? i claim myself to be an expert in monster regeneration (;)) and i don't know of any conventional method to create monsters steady without flooding. has dm 2 more advanced triggers and stuff than dm?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yes, i beleive dm 2 has a slight;y different monster generation system...if only sphenx was still around, he'd studied the triggers and the dungeons

But think about the attack minions from dargoth, and the guard minions in places like the furnace if nothing else - they never seemed to have a certain trigger point, they just generated over time
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

So, where is the spawn point for those guys? I want to try this myself, but they seem to inconsistently appear in random places.

Also, does anyone know if there is a limit to the items that can get stacked up on the ground? If so, when do they start disappearing?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I have a feeling the spawning point is the den they drop all their stolen items on...

Not sure abotu the limit - old DM used to be somethng like 64 items, i believe? And they had a seperate internal type of items limit, like 1000 wooden shields or worm rounds, etc
Slysar
Novice

spawn point

Post by Slysar »

Now just south of where you use the moon key to unlock the gate is the entrance to a small area. In that area, there is a far west point. This is where he spawns from. So don't put a guard minion in there (or do if you don't want him around). I fill the rest of the area with guard minions so I can go do other things and keep him under control. Go get his gold and make new minions every half hour or so.
Slysar
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

i don't think i would choose this as a source for cash - the axemen literally throw it after you...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yes, i was thinking that - if guard minions can take out axemen easily, then that is just a bank vault of shiny axes waiting to be stolen
Slysar
Novice

Post by Slysar »

Axes for sale! Sure selling axes is a good way to make fat gems. If you're like me, you also sell steaks by the mon-zo-ew-ros load as well. Unfortunately, after a while you 'break the bank' in these shops. They no longer have the funds to pay you properly for your goods and you end up with 1 copper coin per unit of merchandise you have for sale. Picking up gold coins will never result in depreciation of product on your part and minimal effort I might add! If you bother to pick something up off the ground, might as well make it coins.
There surely is nothing wrong with selling axes and steaks. In fact I recommend it! And don't forget there is 2 places you can sell those axes, 1 place doesn't pay as well as the other sadly.
As for policing the thieves, Every thief has 3 or 4 gold coins and 0, 1 or 2 daggers. Its just a slick little place to train your priest skill and get paid phat for it.
sucinum
Pal Master

Post by sucinum »

you don't really need this money after entering skullkepp - or is this some collecting-stuff? ;)
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

I buy out everything in the stores before going very far into Skullkeep... so I am prepared for disaster. I like to collect, and it helps to have every kind of armor and weapon, so you know what's best. I prefer to experiment with my weapons rather than read a chart to find what's good.

I sell axes to get money. Rather, I go to the main town's weapon shop, set the buying item to Knife, and then stick a non-weapon item (usually a skeleton) on the table so the owner doesn't accept anything. I put down 20+ axes from the Axemen's place, and then remove the item. I'm prettry sure you wount be able to make the owner run out of red gems or blue gems easily, so you don't have to worry about that. Also, placing items on the buying table as an exchange will nab way more money than selling. 2 Gold per axe more is nothing to scoff at. When we're talking 40-50 axes, that's a LOT of cash. Just leave the non-weapon item on there and load axes on the table until you feel that you are ready. BAM! Tons of cash. No silly running out of money.
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

What do you need so much stuff for ? i went in equiped (all 4 guys) with fire armor, vorax's and a chest of steaks and empty flasks for each one. You dont really need enything else... i think...
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

No, you don't, but I like to have stuff. Like trophies. Ha ha! I have a million kinds of armor!

I like to make cool outfits to make my people cool when they aren't in heavy battle.
My fave: Any guy...
Bandana on head
Cloak of Night around neck
Doublet on chest
Huke on legs
Black Boots on feet
Knife in one hand
Money box in other hand

Oh, yeah! Torham's stylin' now!
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »