doom 3 - someone needs to learn effective design

Video games, console games, mobile games or any other kinds of games including all sports. For everything *except* Dungeon Master games -- please use the specific forums below for DM chat.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

*runs holding a copy of win XP to block the stones*

no, wait, I can't run fast holding it, it's slowing me to a crawl! curse you MS!
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

We're off the topic. But it is a GOOD kind of off-topic. Heeheehee!
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

I still use Win98se for games (have a dual-boot sys) :D so far its the fastest system i ever tryed, with the proper tuning :twisted: but i still think Doom III is not as atmosferic or adrenaline pumping as Unreal (1st) or Unreal Tournament 2003/2004
" Never Fear Death, Embrace It As You Embrace Darkness... "
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

totally OT now, but what's some good tuning advice? I have win98se aswell, but have done nothign really too it and it is about to experience it's third hardware swap - so it's a little bloated
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

lol ok, try this :

http://www.iolo.com/sm/ <-- system tweaker

http://www.outertech.com/index.php?_cha ... oduct&id=2 <-- cache/memory tweaker (Win95 / Win98 / Win98se)

http://www.outertech.com/index.php?_cha ... oduct&id=7 <-- cache/memory tweaker (Win2k / WinXP)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

Oh my.. you are using a win9x system.. you know there *is* a reason they are being phased out... :P

From what I'm told the programmers at MS don't even want to use them or program for them most of the time.. they much preffer the NT based platforms 2K,XP, and 2k3 server etc.

the best thing I noted about windows 98se is it's capacity for crashing and self corruption (the DLL's need to be refreshed (reinstalled) at least once a year as it gets slowly more unstable over time)

Then again I guess it depends what you use it for.. just a warning though.. if you are using dual boot don't put a fat32 partition next to an NTFS partition.. I did and suffered a 3 gig loss of data.. aparently there is one or two bytes of over write between the to formats since neither can see the others partition :P I didn't understand untill I discovered that as soon as it started to get full the first partition that the other started being corrupt and then when I fixed it the other went corrupt and I fixed that and the other... well you get the point. then did some reading online.. (ugh) lot's of fun :(

moo
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

cows you are so right !
definitely XP sp1 + spybot + ad-aware + some free firewall and no norton -pay to slow your machine- stuff.

0 problem, 100% up to date. browse with firefox and do mail with thunderbird ;)
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

Good for you! Not using Microsoft products for web-interaction! Smart move.
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

Actually i am using Win98se with Fat32 and WinXP with ntfs, but as i reset my system (norton ghost) at least once a month i havent had problems at all :) never had any crashes (serious at least) although i do have some stability issues with 2gb ram witch Cacheman partialy (90%) solves :) besides, Win98se is still faster then WinXP in pure gaming speed. And i only use it for games, WinXP is for work and internet 8)
" Never Fear Death, Embrace It As You Embrace Darkness... "
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

eh, i've not had anything major problems with win98, except terrible memory leaks using some programmes for a long session and except that ati drivers don't fully support it so i may need to upgrade for my new graphics card...other than that i just snuck a whole different computer under my win98 without any complaints!

Post by Guest »

Judging from the specs on Doom 3, it runs a LOT better than Halo on a 2.8 Ghz 512 SDRAM PC...
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

I've just played the demo. It was ok but not worth $50 US in my opinion.

Think i'll get some tweakers though and defrag my HD. It may run better now unless I have to upgrade my video card to a 256Mb( I have a 128 at this time).
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

mine is only 128... and runs speedily with nearly everything on max. so I doubt that is an issue.. do you have the latest drivers?
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

I do.

It could be something else...I'll mess with it later.

Of course with the ultra graphic bit..I think Doom 3 is ahead of it's time on that part. Who here owns a 500 MB video card anyways?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

OK, well back to Doom3: I got about 2/3rds of the way through this and got completely bored. I ended up putting all the cheats on just to play quickly through the remaining levels to see what was in there. Didn't really wow me in the end.

I had really enjoyed the first few levels: very atmospheric and downright scary in some places.

But when the game continued to rely on the same old tricks and traps over and over it simply became too predictable. And really, there wasn't a lot to do. The 'puzzles' were all very simple and it basically just involved running about shooting stuff. Which is fine I guess, I just thought it would be more engrossing. I think it could have benefited from giving the marine a character and a voice; I just never felt like what I was doing was important and I certainly didn't care about him.

I'm looking forward to half Life 2 which I am hoping will be a much better all round experience.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

November 16th, right? Or some date like that...
Jardice
Artisan

Post by Jardice »

Hopefully this time..don't need valve pulling a "Duke Nukem Forever" stunt on us again.