Wash your meat

Dead posts cluttering up the front page of certain non-RTC forums are kept here. Threads have the forum subject attached, except custom dungeon threads (which are obvious)
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Slysar
Novice

Wash your meat

Post by Slysar »

If you're like me, the thorn demon's steak is your favorite food. I usually use the food shop as my base of operations because it has 3 tables to put stuff on and it's nice and breezy in there. Fresh water drinking fountain too.
Now putting stuff on the floor isn't always a good idea because it disappears. For a long time I put the rump roast steaks from 100 thorny demon booties down on the ground in front of the water fountain, I called this place, 'my food station'.
Being the supreme dummy that I am, for a long time I always thought I ate this food quickly but no, it disappears from the floor. Once I thought I saw a fly so maybe it was laying maggots on the meat and the rancid beef was decomposing. So I started washing my meat.
I wash my meat in the fountain outside now a days. You know, the fountain that has a few coins in it at the start. Throw your meat in that fountain. The fountain keeps your meat fresh and cool (soggy too) and it won't disappear! Bonus!

"The cold hard blade of knowledge will shatter when tested if it is not first tempered by the hot flames of wisdom." ~Slysar 1992
Slysar
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

Hmmm. Very interesting... and entertaining! I neve thought of using the fountain as a storage area. I keep food long-term inside unused bags and chests, but since I have so much money, I sell it to the store and buy it back when I need it. (By the way, in my last game, I had purchased EVERYTHING that was not unlimited from ALL the stores in the game and I still had 24 blue gems leftover... too much training against giants and too much free time.)
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

hmmm I had often wondered if they actually vanished after a time. I had thought that it was perhaps stolen by something. Since I seem to remember seeing the wolves pick things up off the ground.

Anyway.. interesting quote.. Though rather familliar.. goes along with these other ones nicely too

"A perfect Christian will have both the enthusiastic passion of his convictions tempered by the sword of knowledge and wisdom."

"Wisdom is intelligence tempered by experience."

"Young men seek knowledge Old men use knowledge tempered by experience and years. This is wisdom."

"knowledge only becomes wisdom when tempered by human experience."

I hardly ever remember who writes these things.. but can often recall the vague quote.

My ever Favorite Quote though is from a D&D manual it was something like:
"Knowledge is to know that it's raining. Wisdome is to know to get out of it"

Hey.. there's an idea for a thread.. favorite quotes :) I think I'll go post it now. ;)
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It could be the combination item limit and items on square limit - this exists in DM
There is apparently a bit that denotes if an item is permenant or not, so in DM thigns like worm rounds and wooden shields/falchions dropped by skeletons would disappear if too many were generated, but i suspect the items worm rounds and flachions placed in the dungeon would nevre disappear.
The difference with the fountain could be that items placed in there are being help in some memory list or in a 'wall', rather than actually present on the floor, and it perhaps gives it a different status so they don't get removed when the item limit is reached

Wolves can't get into that zone, can they? I think only the slimes and the thieves are generated in that area
kaosthafeared
Apprentice

Post by kaosthafeared »

Personally I think this is a great idea.. even as old as this post is!!
Tom Hatfield
Ee Master

Post by Tom Hatfield »

I think it has to do with containers, whether they be portable or worldly. I keep steaks in chests, but I used to dump them in the cubby in the temple of Vi, where you find the first magical map. They never disappeared.