A little bit of politics (UK)

A forum for discussing world news, ideas, concepts and possibly controversial topics including religion and politics. WARNING: may contain strong opinions or strong language. This does not mean anything goes though!
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

A little bit of politics (UK)

Post by beowuuf »

Can we just all vote now and avoid the run up to a general election? I'm already getting sick off all the blown up news stories one or other of the parties jump on, the posters and whining about the posters, the issues getting pushed front and centre that no one really cares about, and all this when we have barely started yet!

Can we all just vote liberal democrat and see what happens?
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I'm gonna vote for the Labelled Hologram Party.
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

Is that in Whitbury Newtown by any chance?

I've never liked politics but then again, I'm a student - the bane of our modern society, so technically I should be screaming stuff about bloody top-up fees and the like from the rooftops. To be perfectly honest people are either one way or the other so I agree with you beo, we don't need all this rubbish. It would be interesting, though, to see the country run from the other side of the tracks so to speak...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

'new' labour have had many years now and haven't risen convincingly any better than the conservatives
the tories have not got a convincing party or policies back since they lost all those years ago

be nice to see what a completely new party could do...vote flibble! or it's game over, boys!
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Vote Rimmer! Vote Rimmer!

*throws kipper at opposition*
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

Yeah, why not! He'd end up invading...where was it...Poland (or somewhere) by coming around Alaska...
*does a Full Rimmer salute with poncy wavy-jiggly bit at the end and limps off*
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Ah, for the formation of a new party, we need the Full Double Rimmer!

it's official, at the moment no topic can stay on topic for long before degenerating into me being rimmer, DM charatcers being sexy, evreyone being crazy as a loon, etc!
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

*just stares blankly at everyone* ........... o.o uh, ill just randomly vote someone, in this case, flibble
Valderra
Artisan

Post by Valderra »

Gambit37 wrote:Vote Rimmer! Vote Rimmer!

*throws kipper at opposition*
Rimmer would be the worst person you could vote for. But I don't mind throwing a kipper at anyone who opposes me. :lol:

I think they are all as bad as each other and in the end, it doesn't make any difference who you vote for. They all promise you a better life and point fingers at the opposition and show us how bad they are. Then, when they have won, they do exactly the same bad thing. :roll:

Therefore, I have decided to vote for Kryten. Hes's got the right idea - clean clean clean... :lol:
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

It is my experience and opinion that once a democratically elected government gets into power it instantly forgets it it supposed to represent the will of it's electorate and just goes off and does it's own thing. Politics are poop. But it is still the only real way to make one's voice heard, however quietly.
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

Voting is about choosing the least worse option. No party is going to do everything you want. Mind you, most seem not able to do anything I want.
PadTheMad
Lo Master

Post by PadTheMad »

I second that Paul. There's elections going on for the Student Union here and it's just full of random people pusing flyers in your face and lots of promises to do things I couldn't care less about- it's the same no matter where you are. It's all about choosing the lesser of multiple evils.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

like...govern?
at least our politicians do try to listen to the poeple/their constuituents - i'm not sure if it because the communities they represent are small though. the american system kinda worries me, where lobby groups seem to hold such sway and affect senators' decisions and votes just as much if not more than their communities
PaulH
Ghastly gastropod

Post by PaulH »

What annoys me is the way politicians represent statistics to mislead people. A common one is 'the rate of increase has fallen by x percentage'. If this is say 50%, it looks like a huge value, but if you look at the statement closely, the figures are still getting higher. Like a car accelerating more slowly, it is still getting faster.
Des
Um Master

Post by Des »

I work for Uncle Tone and he wants to sack me and 100,000 of my fellow tea-swilling parasites. Howard and Kennedy promise to dump even more of us on the Old King Cole. Only the Green party are not wielding the axe (perhaps a gentle whipping with a sapling branch).

So I guess I should vote for them - and of course they are hot on global warming (which I droned on about in a previous thread). However my MP John Denham is a reall good egg and earned great respect in the way he quietly resigned from the government over the illegal war in Iraq.

So he gets my vote. And losing my job might be a blessing in disguise. I currently only get paid 13p a year, and as a senior computer geek in the private sector I would earn eight trillion pounds per nanonsecond (well that's what the contractors who replace lost in-house IT staff at my office seem to get).
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

yeah, i hate how even if you vote for a good guy locally, you tend to also be letting in a crappy covernment at the top...then again, niot any better systems!