CSB Dungeon Mechanix

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
Lunever
Grand Druid

CSB Dungeon Mechanix

Post by Lunever »

when looking upon the CSB-dungeon from the CSBWin's mini.dat with DMute 1.4 I noticed, that often a pressure pad, switch or whatever trigger does not directly point at the object triggered by it, but points instead to some wall object like a wall ring or a Chaos face, and that is pointing to the object to trigger, so my question is why is that so. Is this just to confuse someone who want's to see the dungeon mechanix, are some values stored in those wall objects for later use so the dungeon carries some kind of in-game memory, and does anything happen in the dungeon when you touch those wall objects?
Parting is all we know from Heaven, and all we need of hell.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

There are two cases where this setup is important

1) For counters
2) For super-delays. I think the maximum delay for a trigger is something like 7 seconds, so if you want something to happen after 21 seconds, then you'd need to activate three objects each with a delay of seven.

There may be other situations too but I haven't explored it in detail. Beowuuf might be able to shed more light on this.
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

Probably this also can be done with the DSA's in Paul Stevens' CSBuild. But ask him for confirmation. Otherwise you'd need multiple actuators for this action, if my suspicion is right, you'd only need one in this case.

Regards, PitD
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Gambit basically hit it on the head

1) Counters set with 'constant weight' effects will constantly give out the reverse effect if activated every time before the count is complete. Many monster flood generators and also the 'shop' uses this principle to provide a limit on the amount ofactivation times
2) Actually, the limit is 14, as one of the bits in the activation word is also used for timing. :)
But the 7 we know from Dmute is the limit in timing - so daisy chaining delays is the only way to push that

Counters and triggerable wall faces don't react when touched. As you can see, that is why wall decorations get used

The only other reason for having triggering going to wall objects is for multiple sources of activation needed...the bets example i can think of is in the DM dungeon, when you need to flick the two levels to open the door near the start. There must be examples of this in the CSB dungeon too

And yes, I imagine Paul's DSAs could do most of this without breaking sweat : )