Ra / Dragon armour

Discuss Chaos Strikes Back, the "expansion pack" for Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Ra / Dragon armour

Post by FallenSeraphin »

The site says "Giggler", so i suppose i have to kill gigglers to get it, but so far no luck, not even 1 piece. Any advice besides keep killing gigglers ?

Code: Select all

http://dmweb.free.fr/CSBItems.htm
" Never Fear Death, Embrace It As You Embrace Darkness... "
zoom
Grand Master

Post by zoom »

When i remember correctly, the gigglers have the items, and they are in a room(which you cannot reach). Eventually , they enter various teleporters leading to different levels. These gigglers are either killed or still alive, depending on which teleporter they entered. So the armor will either be lying around in different places, and it could be that it gets teleported, or carried by a giggler.(remember the alcoves: new supplies at the start? with a bit of luck there will be later in the game some parts of the armour.Keep looking at the area.)
Maybe someone else can clearify more..
FallenSeraphin
Adept

Post by FallenSeraphin »

So if theyre dead in that room bye bye to the armor, right ? is there only 1 armor or are there more of each ?
" Never Fear Death, Embrace It As You Embrace Darkness... "
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

No, they die outside of the room - for example, one giggler can end up in the alcoves of the 'supplies for the quick' and dies...dropping the items to the alcoves.
The mechanics only kick in when you hit the Junction of the Ways, so you need to backtrack to the supplies for the quick area

Similarly I think another drop point is below the corbums, so always check there for stuff too

I think a giggler also gets teleported to beside the Muncher pit

There is only one set of each armour
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

so far i got the ra plate and ra greaves, but, to my incredible, misfortune, ive lost the memory stick i had the games in, and, basically, ive lost it all, ill have to download and restart all over again -.-
Sera
*BLUE* not Purple

Post by Sera »

well after until restarting anew im kinda glad i did have to, because my main goal is to obtain all of the dragon set, im just missing the greaves, shield, and fang, and ive only got to the demons from ROS and KU, and got the lockpick early in the game =D
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

Does having a full set do anything other than piss you off for having to make strength potions every 3 minutes?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

It's also the best armour in the game so will give you better protection against the nasties than most, but no, you may as well dump it at the junction of ways and use lighter mail if it's causing you problems - at least until your strength lifts (two words - power towers)

Sounds like you ain't enjoying CSB really - maybe dip into some of the custom dungoens and leave CSB for a while? (but come back ...CSB is worth it for interesting puzzles when you get into it)
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

If you can't carry it, leave it. All things considered, armor has very low impact on your chances to live. Avoidance tactics work much better than just trying to soak up damage, regardless of armor. So even walking naked isn't that big a handicap except in few situations.

On the other hand - strength potions are good priest training AND make you hit harder, so they're beneficial in several ways. Personally, I always keep my fighters (or more often one of them) duped up significantly...

To recap, if you don't want to bother, just leave the stuff behind and go with mithril or chain. You'll do just fine.
Toni Ylisirniö
Author of Grave of King Millias, Return of Chaos, and DM2 dungeons.
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

I have never bothered with armour. In DM I would keep the characters' starting clothes right the way through and in CSB they would grab the first clothes I came across. My characters were always covered by YA IR (Shield) and FUL BRO NETA (Fireshield) spells which seem far more effective than armour.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I'm doing Conflux with the malificent guild just now - nudity ain't optional people! Well, except for some nice elf boots
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Is YA IR really efficient ? How many times do you cast it ? It never seemed really useful to me, I used it for protection when fighting the real tough baddies like golems and armours, and I never really noticed a difference...
On the other hand, something I recently discovered : after drinking a few YA BRO potions, a message appears saying the shield value has reached a certain value (150). Didn't seem very useful either but at least the game had acknowledged raising some kind of protection level !
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There is a differnece, but also it slowly erodes...you might inititally ntoice it fighting knights or golems, but it soon wears off!
Trantor
Duke of Banville

Post by Trantor »

I also don't pay much attention to any kind of protection. I rarely wear anything beyond Mithril Armor because of the weight, and I never use any defensive spells except FUL BRO NETA (and even this I use very rarely). Protection in general is simply not that important in the game.
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

I don't get any of the protection spells/potions/armor.

It never seems to affect anything, even with a MON level fire protection spell...
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Oh, FUL BRO NETA does work ! Just cast 4 or 5 of them, and the Black Flames on level 13 in DM won't hurt you anymore, for example. I don't know how much YA IR I need to cast before being safe from a golem's attacks....
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

something I recently discovered : after drinking a few YA BRO potions, a message appears saying the shield value has reached a certain value (150). Didn't seem very useful either but at least the game had acknowledged raising some kind of protection level !
Really? I've never seen this before. What version?
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

That was since the &CHAR! operation was implemented. I thought Paul had fixed it.
Toni Y
Adept

Post by Toni Y »

Simon wrote: It never seems to affect anything, even with a MON level fire protection spell...
The key, as in everything, is several of those. ;)

Screenshot at NETA fireball corridor after casting about dozen fireshields (I may have overdid it a bit :roll:):

Even casting Mon Ful Ir at wall did naught. :twisted:
Toni Ylisirniö
Author of Grave of King Millias, Return of Chaos, and DM2 dungeons.
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

Ian & Zyx : So this is not normal ? Sorry about that... I'm still running CSBWin 9.8v16. Guess I'll upgrade ! :oops:
Zyx
DSA Master

Post by Zyx »

Yes, try a newer version, the message should not appear.

I didn't know the damage could be reduced to none!
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

There is something eerie in having a dexterity of 255 and casting YA IR then watching knights dance infront of you inflicting no damage..for a few moments...
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

I cast it about 4 times and still died :(
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

What level? The lower the level you cast it at, the less the effect...also, the shield doens't stay at full strength until it wears off, it is constantly losing strength from casting. Keep it topped up to as high a level as possible
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

I've given up with DM for a while now, I got bored of walking in circles on CSB and I tried conflux II but just kept dying over and over in 1 hit.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Yeah, sounds like the challenging fights and saving alot aren't your style - try out a few more dungeon if you are still wanting a DM fix though. Conflux and CSB are hard and sometimes obscure, but there is a whole range of levels and types of custom dungeons - hack and slash or puzzles, easy or hard.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

I suppose I should suggest a few...

Dust & Blood, Parlous and Tomb of the Firestaff I remember as being good DM like dungoens with great additions, LMB's Poison and Lost Scrolls are short but satisfying (the first good puzzles, the second I rmemeber the combat as being alot but manageable). Also I think a nice recent one was Beastmaster (the one with the silver coin shortcut corridor, anyway if anyone can correct me)

Amber/sucinum's dungeons are cool but perhaps combat heavy in places if you are getting bored of that for now. I would defintiely retry Conflux II later, once you get into it there is ALOT of cool stuff to see, do, and puzzle over - many cool bits.
Simon
Artisan

Post by Simon »

I downloaded the Dust & Blood Dungeon.dat but I can't get it to work with CSBWin, and I can't find any instructions...
Ameena
Wordweaver, Murafu Maker

Post by Ameena »

I know what you mean about Conflux...not only is practically every mob poisonous, but ther'es pits and doors and stuff everywhere. As for DM and CSB...well it depends where you're stuck in DM but as for CSB you could try going round bashing your brains out on every available wall to see if it's fake - there are a lot of illusionary walls in CSB.
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

The other ones run under DM PC
You can either play them under that, or if you want to play on CSBwin, then open the dungeon up in CSBuild. It would best to set the 'options' first to allow anything (expert).

CSBuild will covert if for use, and hopefully (since the dungeons don't have weird quirks I can remmeber) should them play alright under CSBwin