Monster sound preferences?

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

Do you prefer monsters making noises when they move?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 21, 2003 6:54 pm

Yes, I prefer it to the original.
63%
No. While I like the new sounds, I prefer the original.
38%

Total votes: 8

Seeker19
Apprentice

Monster sound preferences?

Post by Seeker19 »

The biggest change in the game I've experienced so far is the way that many monsters make noise when they move. Since my experience of DM and CSB was limited solely to the ST versions (and then the DMuted version of DM on DOS many years later), I don't know if this was a feature on other platforms. But in my experience, it's something completely new to DM.

My reaction was mixed, and I'm not sure how I feel about it, still. At first I was thrilled at the extra sound effects. But then I realized that I always knew when a monster making a move sound was nearby. I like the touch that the volume of the movement sounds varies with distance from the party, but that's an even more accurate measurement of how far the enemy is from you.

Now, this adds excitement in one respect - there are monsters coming!! - but in another, now I know that monsters are coming, and when. Playing DM and CSB in all night sessions as a teen, I would shriek in shock and surprise when a mummy would appear in front of me as I turned a corner. This was made all the more effective by the suddenness of the "YAAAH!" the mummy made as it attacked, breaking the deep silence of the dungeon...

Now I know that the monster that makes noise is coming, and so I'm not surprised.

On the other hand, I am, if possible, more surprised by the monsters who do not make noise, such as the ghosts or beholders.

So it really comes down to a matter of preference. What are your preferences? Do you prefer to know when some of the monsters are coming and be terribly surprised by the ones you don't hear, or do you prefer the general anxiety of not knowing what monsters may be lurking around any corner in the dungeon? I'm not really sure myself, but I'm interested in what others think about this, so I'm opening a poll.

Seeker19
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

Only the ST version DIDN'T have sound effects for monsters moving -- it didn't have enough memory. All the other version have had sound effects forever, so this isn't a new feature in RTC...
Seeker19
Apprentice

Post by Seeker19 »

Oh?

So interpret the poll that way, if you've played the ST version and so have something to compare RTC to...

Thanks,

Seeker19
dungeon.master
Artisan

Post by dungeon.master »

Hi,

I feel like Seeker19.
I played with Atari ST version, so without the noise of monsters moving.
It added very much to the impressive background.
In another way I like the modification, because for some monsters it's more realistic to make noise !

bye

dungeon.master
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

I prefer monsters making sound - that's what I started with (Amiga version) and after all it is more realistic - they also react to you even if they can hardly see you but if you're close enough, which is also only explainable by making noise yourselves - so it's only fair you can hear them as well.

Regards, PitD
Seeker19
Apprentice

Post by Seeker19 »

Do you think, then, that the party should make noise?

Aside from the "YUUHH!" when you slam into walls when keyboard-navigating too fast, I mean.

It wouldn't be true to the original, but it might be an interesting gameplay variation. The party could make more noise when encumbered, and still more when overloaded.

Seeker19
copperman
Um Master

Post by copperman »

LOL sounds good to me, it would be funny to hear a party member who is heavily encumbered, fart and then apologies "my pack is too heavy" or just misc. movement sounds like armour clanging and a party mumbling.
Don't be scene or herd!
cowsmanaut
Moo Master

Post by cowsmanaut »

it would get repetative and potentially annoying.. could be why it wasn't done to begin with.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Played on Amiga for ages, so i love the noises..infact not hearing movement is very weird...hearing worms and scorpions moving...seems both realistic and gets the heart racing in pitch dark
PicturesInTheDark
Arch Master

Post by PicturesInTheDark »

I'm along the lines of cow on this one - it's too much if the party would make a noise. Some of the tension of this game comes from hearing nothing or only muffled movements through walls) for ages sometimes (while you're always listening for it all the time... that's real paranoia ;o)) and then suddenly you hear another sound - loud and REAL CLOSE!

Would be less interesting if you were making noises with the party - as in good horror movies it's often the absence of noise/something awful that makes it real scary.

Regards, PitD
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

I played DM on my PC without sound recently, it's not the same. You need to hear the monsters moving around, and i think RTC does this well. Also in the editor you can make floor triggers that make sounds! So you can put the sound of monsters moving when theres nothing there, or a scream that comes out of nowhere, now thats atmospheric.
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles