Is it normal that RTC is harder than DM?

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
DragonsLover
Craftsman

Is it normal that RTC is harder than DM?

Post by DragonsLover »

I found that RTC is a little bit much more harder than DM. Wounds appear more often and it's disapointing to make a lot of Healing potions. I mean, in DM, when you receive a fireball or 2, your party doesn't have any wounds (or just 1 or 2). But in RTC, for a fireball or 2, I got much more wounds than normally. Is that normal?

Also, why the sleeping time is longer than in DM?

Finally, is it normal that some monsters shoot fireballs directly when I sidestep in their way in the corridor? I mean, in DM, monsters shoot their fireballs maybe 1 or 2 seconds after I'm in their sight. Not directly (0 second)!

I found RTC very different of the normal DM, but RTC is much better because of its full customization.
Gambit37
Should eat more pies

Post by Gambit37 »

I found that RTC is a little bit much more harder than DM
Well, it's either a little bit harder or much harder but it can't be both! ;)

Yes, RTC is harder in most aspects than the original game. This is deliberate to offer a greater challenge to veterans of DM. You can make the game even tougher by adjusting the settings in the config file, but it sounds like you want it easier. I don't think you can do that...
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

George made it so monsters reac instantly to you, jst as you react instantly to them...so normally yo can jump forward, sladh, and jump back quickyl ,take no damage, and yawn through encounters
RTC...uhuh - monsters eem you coming and attack back
as geroge said, he tried to make the mechanics normal, but really, he wasn't goign throug hthe damage calculations of the original code, so its all his on...its been tweaked, but thigns will be differemt, you will get x damage from a sword swing not y, you will get more/less popints or wounds flor actions, things will be x times faster/slower

we whined about things, they got tweaked, i think its close enough, tending to the harder side, which is fine : )
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

As beowuuf says I just made up all the internal factors (including damage, XP etc) for RTC - I did not (and still have not) ever looked at the DM / CSB source code to find out exactly what the original did. The values used in RTC are based purely on my memory of what it felt like when playing the original game and then have been tweaked a little by other players playing it and comparing what they think to their memories!

In general nowadays I tend to get as many comments saying such and such was harder than I remember as I do in the easier camp. Evidently I still havn't got it exactly right yet, but it's pretty close ;-)

The wound damage is a new one though, I havn't had anyone mention that before; I'll take a look at it for you and probably tone it down a little.
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

I noticed that with wounds too. I was left with a couple after fighting the first mummies and screamers
DragonsLover
Craftsman

Post by DragonsLover »

Ok... Well, maybe it's better like this then! And why the sleeping time is longer than in DM? Is it because there's a lot of thing to calculate?
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

i think its just another one of these 'that seems like the regeneration rate' things, not anything to do with computation
if you ever look throug the archives there are some real fun thigns like regeneration and food discussions with 'argh, that's too fast! argh, now its too slow! wait, i played DM and it was always that fast, argh, it's too slow again!' etc
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

I agree with DragonsLover... I also noticed that my party got wounded very easily, and I also found that the recovery rate while sleeping was wayyyyyyy tooooooooooo sloooowwwwwwww.... This is why I asked a couple months ago if it was possible to accelerate the game just like CSBWin. I really swear sleeping is too long. Maybe this was made on purpose to prevent people like me from sleeping every 30 seconds after using all their Mana points, and to make them use their fists a little more, but even so ! It is WAY too long for me, a major drawback that doesn't make me want to play RTC anymore... :(
Mindstone
Adept

Post by Mindstone »

Is there anyway you can alter the hotkeys to allow you to strafe. I have to strafe when DM, in RTC you have to use the mouse to strafe which is very long, especially when your fighting Deth knights and you need to hut and run against them.

RTC is brilliant though, what an achievement.
Spears of Valour: My free-to-download mass fantasy game! https://www.wargamevault.com/product/46 ... sy-battles
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

Key configuration is set in the config.txt file...