in french ???

General messages about RTC and it's development.

Moderator: George Gilbert

Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.
gesierfou

in french ???

Post by gesierfou »

Someone would translate this extraordinary game in french ! Or how i can do to translate this rtc ?
thanks.
linflas
My other avatar is gay

Post by linflas »

you can change the wall texts and scrolls with RTCeditor but not the rest of the game (messages, stats, level names).
or try to find a french version of DM !
gesierfou

Post by gesierfou »

how we can do to put files of the french version of dm on the rtc mod ?
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

This is something I've considered before, but didn't think there was the demand for it.

Basically, there'd be two steps - first translating all the text in the core game; second translating all the text in the RTC game files. The first, I'd have to do, the second, anyone could do.

I'll have a look into it again to see how much work it will be.
gesierfou

Post by gesierfou »

thanks for your answer !
so if i want to translate rtc game what files i need to edit and how i can edit there files !
PS: excuse me for my bad english, say me if you don't understand my question...
George Gilbert
Dungeon Master

Post by George Gilbert »

You need to edit the dm.txt file in the \modules directory. Search for the string "TEXT=(" and translate the contents of the brackets. Save the file as dm_fr.txt and compile it (instructions for this are in the editing.txt file).

This will change all the scrolls and wall texts.

What won't change is all the UI elements (e.g. "weight", "fighter", "journeyman" etc) attack methods (e.g. "chop", "melee" etc) and information messages (e.g. "xxx has gained a fighter level"). I'll need to look into how best to do them.
GESIERFOU

Post by GESIERFOU »

thanks for this tips !
I will work imediatly on this txt file.
I wait for your answer about gui translation in french !
:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
DragonsLover
Craftsman

Post by DragonsLover »

I agree to get a French version of the game too. I'm interested. The easy thing is to get all the texts of French Dungeon Master and then put them in RTC.
Polaris
Neophyte

hi there

Post by Polaris »

Hello i am an old fan of both DM and CSB. ihave played both of them on Atari and Amiga, and i am very happy to have find this place and to see that dungeon master has not been forgot.

The GG smooth rock.
Mister Gilbert i can only say "bravo" for your hard work. RTC is Amazing the editor is pretty cool too.

I saw on this topic a french man who talk about a french version and that's why i 'am here: if an hand is needed i am your man.
I would be happy to translate for an eventual french version.

I have also check the RTC home page but i wasn't able to find a road map or something like this to see what will be done in the future.
If a document like this exist can you tell me where.

Happy to speak with all of you dungeon crawler's!
Long life to DM!

see you :D
Florent
Um Master

Post by Florent »

The question is : do we want a new translation of English DM in French, or do we want to use the roiginal French translation used in the game ? In other words, do we need translators or just people with the French game and lots of free time ? ;)