Trapped in the Skullkeep Storeroom

Chat about "The Legend of Skullkeep", the true sequel to the original Dungeon Master.
This forum may contain spoilers.
Forum rules
Please read the Forum rules and policies before posting.

Trapped in the Skullkeep Storeroom

Post by Guest »

So, after beating the game the usual way, with a full party of four, I decided to try it again as Torham alone. Things have gone surprisingly smoothly so far, despite my lack of company, but my progress ground to a halt when I found myself trapped in the room full of furniture (two reflectors, two tables, and a giant torch) on the top floor of Skullkeep (just below the roof). When I first teleported into it, I used fireballs from the Numenstaff with the reflectors to destroy the table across from the portcullis, as usual. Then I tried to move the torch, but found I that couldn't. No matter how many times I clicked on it and nudged it forwards, it just popped back into its original position. Eventually, I realized I could move it by just walking into it, and so I did. But the reflector in front of the portcullis posed the same problem, and because it was in a corner, I couldn't just barge into it.

I suppose this has to do with how I've only got one character, and the strength of four is necessary to move an object. But while I did have more difficulty than normal moving other objects in the game, such as boulders, it was always possible with enough tries. Plus, trying to push those objects and failing produced a groan sound effect, while doing so with the objects in the storeroom didn't. I tried increasing Torham's strength by drinking lots of MON FUL BRO KU potions, and even cheated to give myself lots of mana so I could make lots of potions and therefore gain a ridiculously large strength score, but that darn reflector still wouldn't budge. I also tried opening the portcullis with a ZO bolt, but that didn't work, either. Any ideas? If only I could somehow get out of the storeroom, I could activate the ZO Link the illegitimate way if I still couldn't move those reflectors.
Ian Clark
Um Master

Post by Ian Clark »

I am assuming you left the key int he door to keep it open. I've completed the game with one character before (I usually change Torham's stat's to match Leif or someone from DM) and I have done that part fine. I have never had any trouble moving the torch or the reflectors. There is a program that you can use to edit all stats so you might want to bump the strength up a bit; do a search for it on Google or something, it is called DM2Edit. If you can't find it let me know and I will send it you.
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

Like I did, you could use a memory-hacking program, such as GameShock, to find the stats and change them yourself. Just search for the values as 2-byte numbers, gain a fighter level, and then search for the new values. That's basically what DM2Edit does, except that DM2Edit works on a save file.

It could be that he can't move the objects because there is something blocking them. You cant move an object to the sides close to you if you have no space to back up, either.
Guest (the same one)

Post by Guest (the same one) »

Ian Clark: What key? The skull key just creates that funky blue teleportation field that gets you into the storeroom; the portcullis that's next to it is unlocked. The only reason you can't open it from the outside is because there isn't a button there. As for DM2Edit, Google says that it's for Doom II, not Dungeon Master II. Perhaps you're thinking of DMute? I'd try it out, but I'm using a Mac. :(

purple1: Actually, I did use Pandora's Box to increase my mana so I could make strength potions, as I mentioned before, as well as directly altering my strength, but even 200 points of it didn't make a difference. And I know the path is clear for pushing.
beowuuf
Archmastiff

Post by beowuuf »

Look at the DM Encyclopaedia, link on the pull down aboves - I think the tools forum has the DM2Edit download, if it's nowhere else
purple1
Adept

Post by purple1 »

Well, Mr. Guest, since you are using a Mac (as I am), perhaps you could send me a copy of your save file to me. It would help if I could look at it too. Just send it as an attachment to purple100@gmail.com.
yet another guest

Post by yet another guest »

First of all, I'm sorry for my poor English.

I suppose you are wearing a pair of Mithral Hosen. If so, take off that.

Or, you CAN get out from that room without dragging objects with your mouse.
Well-placed push/pull spells, some fireballs, changing direction of Reflectors, and stepping toward objects will open the way to the exit.
Guest (the first one)

Post by Guest (the first one) »

Ah, yes, the Mithral Hosen was the culprit. I put it on and left it there without a thought— if I was going to use only one character, I wanted to take advantage of it! But I guess it messed up the pushing mechanism somehow. I took it off and pushed with those reflectors with impudence. Thanks much! (Note: Somebody ought to add a warning about this to the description of Mithral Hosen on the Encyclopaedia, or something.)

Funny that you should call me Mr. Guest, purple1. I was just reading The Mill on the Floss (for school, definitely not for pleasure!) and one of the character's names was Stephen Guest. OK, weird connection, I know. I guess you don't need my saved game anymore, since I've solved the problem. But on another completely off-topic note, I fully support your efforts to get somebody out there to make a Mac editor for DM 2. Why kill Dragoth when you could go on a Merchant Guard killing spree?

Return to “Dungeon Master II: The Legend of Skullkeep (DM2)”